The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice on G-Town  (Read 9717 times)

Offline icefishdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got a bite!
Ice on G-Town
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 11:59 AM »
If my eyes don't deceive me, the Montana Web Cams site shows ice on Georgetown this morning. Single digit temps there last night with highs only in the 20's for the next few days. Might build enough to stay. I'm feeling like Thanksgiving might give us some fishing time if the weather keeps up...fingers crossed. :)

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Web-Cams/Web-Cams.htm

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: Ice on G-Town
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Yeah they have had skim ice on there for a couple of days now.  I've been watching too.  It's getting closer!
  BE THERE!

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:31 PM »
There was just a skim in the bays the rest was open Sunday.but it won't be long.I am sayings thanksgiving should be icefishing.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I liked what I saw this afternoon, couldn't tell how far out it went, but it's coming a long nicely.

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Went to that link, but which camera is g-town?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:02 PM »

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:29 PM »
sure looks like ice to me!!!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I don't know about Georgetown, but I do know that we are getting ice here in Bozeman on the local ponds. Today should be the last day of overly warm highs for awhile, hopefully. I hate having to be so darn patient, but good things are soon to come.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Knowing that Homestake Lake is about the same elevation as Georgetown, and because I had to go to Butte yesterday, I decided to take my manual auger with me and drill a test hole to see how thick the ice was.  It has been frozen over for the past week at least.   Anyway, I managed to drill about 3 inches before I gave up (havn't used the auger in a few years, and I just couldn't cut through the ice).  Just the same, a MINIMUM of 3 inches of hard ice is definatley a good sign.  May try GT mid-week!

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Getting that itch. It's coming hopefully by thanksgiving.

Offline tiptoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Has anyone been up there that could provide a visual report(besides the cameras)? 

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Has anyone been up there that could provide a visual report(besides the cameras)?

I was hoping flyfish59102 or JayHelfrich might be getting the itch soon and they could tell us, but I haven't seen them on yet this year.  Anyone else close enough to get a good idea of thickness?
  BE THERE!

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I was hoping flyfish59102 or JayHelfrich might be getting the itch soon and they could tell us, but I haven't seen them on yet this year.  Anyone else close enough to get a good idea of thickness?

I'll have to facebook Jay and tell him to get his butt on here

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I was last at Georgetown the begining of October.  It was all still open water and the fish we actively feeding on the hatches coming off.  I don't fish Georgetown until after the 15th of December on average as it has too many springs and lots of early snow that makes for weak ice in spots.  I have been wet up there before and it wasn't fun.  For early ice (after hunting season cause I spend all my time filling my freezer with red meat when I can) I start at Delmo lake (smaller high mountain lake on the Divide that gets great ice early) chasing cutthroats and then I move to Georgetown followed by Canyon Ferry as soon as the ice is good enough to chase perch and walleye.

So, I have no current info on the ice up there and it is a 45 minute drive for me to go look so I won't have a report until at least after hunting season.  If I get up to Delmo while looking for an elk I will bring my hand auger and let ya know.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline drrandypepper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:06 PM »
I was by there sat. and today. I would say maybe 2/3 the lake was frozen on sat and today it was probably only less than 1/2 froze over. Too many white caps to freeze any today. Lol won't be long now tho.

Offline nicejigs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Can't wait
-"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and you feed yourself. He's a grown man, fishing is not that hard." _Ron Swanson

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Im getting an itchy jigging hand

Offline DaileyMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:35 AM »
fished G town 30 years ago, Plan on making it over there asap.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Knowing that Homestake Lake is about the same elevation as Georgetown, and because I had to go to Butte yesterday, I decided to take my manual auger with me and drill a test hole to see how thick the ice was.  It has been frozen over for the past week at least.   Anyway, I managed to drill about 3 inches before I gave up (havn't used the auger in a few years, and I just couldn't cut through the ice).  Just the same, a MINIMUM of 3 inches of hard ice is definatley a good sign.  May try GT mid-week!

Did you get out this mid week? When you last drilled holes, how far off shore were you? Any info would be appreciated.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:58 PM »
No I didn't.  Got word from a friend that the warmer temps and winds opened up a bunch of the lake beginning of the week.  I am still hoping that with the projected lows this weekend that a trip up is coming soon.  Was up there twice before thanksgiving last year.  As far as the hole I drilled at Homestake.  I don't fish on the lake (although I do see a very FEW people who do), so I only drilled about 10 yards off shore.  I didn't want to go further in case I broke through.  I realize that the ice will form here quicker than on GT just because it is so much smaller and shallower.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Asked this very question yesterday to a friend of mine that lives @ G'Town Lake. He said that the lake was not completely froze yet and that when he left for work in the morning it was very windy and the temp was above freezing. I may take a drive out there this afternoon or sometime this weekend to check it out, so I'll report back in the near future.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:14 PM »
There's 3-4" in select areas, be careful if you go out there, spud, spud, spud.

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:40 PM »
4-5" @ the pump house 1-2" @ dentons fishing was fantastic wind blew like hell

Offline choques 53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:39 AM »
40 degrees and windy. Not a very good formula for building ice.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:50 AM »
4-5" @ the pump house 1-2" @ dentons fishing was fantastic wind blew like hell
Did you fish @ the pumphouse yesterday. I went by there about noon & could see where someone had walked out and fished. I was quite jealous to tell you the truth. 4 - 5 inches of ice you say. Did you use a power auger, hand auger, or spud your way through the ice? How many fish did you ice? Thanx & have a good one!!

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Did you fish @ the pumphouse yesterday. I went by there about noon & could see where someone had walked out and fished. I was quite jealous to tell you the truth. 4 - 5 inches of ice you say. Did you use a power auger, hand auger, or spud your way through the ice? How many fish did you ice? Thanx & have a good one!!

I didn't show up until after noon and i saw those holes.  We used a gas auger because we could but the spud bar was there to check ice.  We caught quite a few spawning kokes no trout.

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:42 PM »
what kind of shape were the kokes in?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Ice still in good shape?  I'm thinking of making the trip again tomorrow.

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Never went out on drove by going hunting. The ice looked soft and never seen anyone out fishing. It was 40 degrees when we went by.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Screw it, I'll get the long rods back out then.  I guess I'll de-winterize the boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.