The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hell Creek/Ft Peck  (Read 11921 times)

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hell Creek/Ft Peck
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:44 AM »
Has anyone been out there recently?  I am headed there next weekend and I have been hearing mixed reports about ice thickness/fishing activity.  Any help and/or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hell Creek/Ft Peck
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:37 AM »
See, the problem is that everyone posts asking info BEFORE they go, but nobody ever posts reports AFTER they get back.  Not to rain on the parade, because I haven't fished it, but if people need to be willing to give as much as they take from this forum.  This forum is riddled with people asking for reports on peck, but almost none of those people take the time to give reports after they go. 

Sorry for the rant, but every other day someone asks for info on peck.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:28 PM »
WENT TO HELL CREEK BETWEEN DEC 28 AND JAN. 1.  FISHED JUST WEST OF PETERSON POINT TOWARDS SNOW CREEK AND THE THREE OF US CAUGHT LOTS OF 1-3 LB WALLEYE AND SOME 3-11 LB NORTHERNS.  PICKED UP QUITE A FEW 7-10 INCH PERCH ALSO.  WISH I'D BROUGHT THE JIGGIN' POLES!  THE ICE WAS 5 INCHES AT THE THINNEST SPOT WE FOUND ON THE MAIN LAKE, AND AS OF THE WEEKEND WE LEFT, PEOPLE WERE STARTING TO CROSS THE MAIN LAKE TO FISH THE NORTH SHORE ON ATV'S.  ICE SHOULD BE GOOD BY NOW, BUT CHECK WITH CLINT AT THE MARINA BEFORE CROSSING!  MY COUSIN'S GOING FEB 8-11 TO DEVIL'S CREEK AND I'LL POST BACK THEN.  WE'VE GOT 1 MORE TRIP PLANNED FOR HELL CREEK 1ST WEEK IN MARCH IF ICE IS STILL HOLDING UP.  MINNOWS SEEM TO BE THE TICKET.  TRIED SPEARING FOR NORTHERNS, BUT THEY WERE TOO QUICK FOR US!!  FIND SOME SUBMERGED WILLOWS AND SET UP AROUND THEM FOR SPEARING PIKE.  AS FOR TIP-UPS, SPOOL THEM UP W/ 80-100 POUND BRAID AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BREAK-OFFS AND SNAGS.  YOU JUST PULL IT ALL IN!  POST WHEN YOU GET BACK AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU DID.

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:04 PM »

Sorry for the rant, but every other day someone asks for info on peck.

Well, I will be sure to report on what happens. 

However, I must not know how to use the search function, because I sure as heck didn't find all those Peck posts that you refer to. ;) :P

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:57 AM »
Just call Clint Thomas, usually that is the first post replying to Fort Peck post.  His number is (406) 557-2345, he owns the marina there and is always willing to give a good report on ice and fishing.  There's a guy here, Ice_Troll ??, who fishes Fort Peck for 8 or 10 days every year, if you find his post you will find tons of information.  He's seems like a great guy and shares a lot of information.

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Just got back from Ft Peck last night (fished 16-17 Jan).  First time out there.  Temps at night were mid-20's and daytime high's in the upper 30's (very sunny, no wind, couldn't ask for better weather).  We used ATVs to go from Hell Creek to Sutherlin Bay.  Morning ice was good, but by late afternoon had quite a bit of surface water/slush in several spots.  Ice is safe, about 13-15 inches, a bit more nearer the shores.  Saw a small pickup across the bay from Hell Creek Marina on Saturday, Clint said he drove there on the ice from the Marina.  I don't think that's a safe move.  If you intend to fish beyond daylight, I recommend a GPS!!!  Had a bit of a hard time finding the Marina in total blackness.  Not much luck with the fishing, but still had a great time.  Three small walleyes, one small sauger.  Better luck next time getting the bigger ones.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Thanks for posting up.  I'm tagged for a trip this coming weekend as well.  However, the weather looks like my plans could change.  Excited to go up there, my first time on Peck.  Hope the weather holds out. 

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Yes, thanks for the post.  I am relieved to hear that there is more than a few inches of ice.  With this warm weather, I had no idea what the ice might hold in store.  And yeah, a GPS is manditory.  Last year in the dark, that lone lightpole was the only way we found our way back to the marina.

Trax, sounds like you and I will be on the ice the same time.  Are you staying in the marina motel?  There will be 5 of us sharing one room.  Tight quarters.

Offline rabbet79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I am going Feb 11 -15th I will be happy to tell everybody how the fishing was. I want everybody to have a good day on the ice. I am like you, nobody tells us how the fishing was everybody wants to know how the fishing is.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:54 PM »
a little off topic but wondering if anyone ever tries for catfish thru the ice
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Ahhhh the Gps... Saved my butt getting back to the marina there during mulie rut!

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:34 PM »
TALK TO CLINT AT THE HELL CREEK MARINA.  HE KNOWS OF A SPOT WHERE THE CATS SUSPEND ABOUT 30 FEET DEEP OVER 60 FEET OF WATER.  SAYS YOU CAN CATCH SOME HUGE CATS IN THE WINTER THRU THE ICE, JUST MAKE SURE YOUR HOLE IS BIG ENOUGH!

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:48 AM »
thanks i'll give him a call my wife loves catfish fishing so i think i could talk her into it
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:44 PM »
We got snowed in @ Hell Creek this weekend, but other than that was a good weekend.  Took two decent northerns and quite a few good eating-sized walleyes.  Ice was about 13" thick everywhere we drilled.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:43 PM »
We got snowed in @ Hell Creek this weekend, but other than that was a good weekend.  Took two decent northerns and quite a few good eating-sized walleyes.  Ice was about 13" thick everywhere we drilled.
DID YOU FISH HELL CREEK BAY OR OUT IN THE MAIN LAKE?  JUST CURIOUS AS I'M HEADING BACK UP END OF FEBRUARY.  WE DID GOOD BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS FOR EATER-SIZED WALLEYE AND A FEW 10 LB+ PIKE.  QUITE A FEW NICE PERCH ALSO.  I USUALLY DON'T JIG PECK (SEEMS IT'S ALWAYS IN THE DOUBLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO),  BUT WILL BE NEXT TRIP.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:43 AM »
headed there in about an hour and a half :o

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Headed there about noon for me!

To Fort Peck anyway, not Hell Creek! ;)

Good luck Rezeye, will be looking for some pics next week!

4Eyes
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bono

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You should have been here yesterday!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Ice is safe, about 13-15 inches, a bit more nearer the shores.  Saw a small pickup across the bay from Hell Creek Marina on Saturday, Clint said he drove there on the ice from the Marina.  I don't think that's a safe move. 

13-15" for a small pickup truck is completely safe.  I wouldn't afraid to drive on 10 if I knew it was a solid 10" all over.  You just have to watch out for soft spots.

I'm planning a trek out that way in the middle of February.  Been out there the last two years with limiited success.  I've fished the main lake points.  Last year was my best success with 8 good eater eyes, 5 6-8# pike and a laker. 
TIP UP!

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:28 AM »
DID YOU FISH HELL CREEK BAY OR OUT IN THE MAIN LAKE?  JUST CURIOUS AS I'M HEADING BACK UP END OF FEBRUARY.  WE DID GOOD BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS FOR EATER-SIZED WALLEYE AND A FEW 10 LB+ PIKE.  QUITE A FEW NICE PERCH ALSO.  I USUALLY DON'T JIG PECK (SEEMS IT'S ALWAYS IN THE DIGITS BELOW ZERO),  BUT WILL BE NEXT TRIP.

We were out near the main lake, about 3 1/2 miles north of the marina.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:39 PM »
We were out near the main lake, about 3 1/2 miles north of the marina.
THANX.  I'M GONNA TRY HELL CREEK AGAIN IN MARCH AND HOPE THE BIG WALLEYE ARE HUNGRY JUST BEFORE THEY SPAWN.  FISHED EARLY MARCH A FEW YEARS BACK AND CAUGHT 3 - 10 POUND PLUS WALLEYE AND SOME DOUBLE DIGIT PIKE AS WELL. BEST TRIP YET, BUT THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT!

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:10 AM »
tp://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd87/rezeye/P1280716.jpg[/IMG]Rhino's 8.76lb waldo
caught on upper nonyer creek :whistle: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Niiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!  :o
So many fish, so little time.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:44 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)tp://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd87/rezeye/P1280716.jpg[/IMG]Rhino's 8.76lb waldo

Nice fish!

We caught a bunch of good eater walleyes (45 or so) but no big ones like we were hoping.

Guess we'll have to make it back!
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Rhino's 8.76lb waldo
[/quote]
GLAD TO SEE SOME BIG ONES SHOWING UP! NICE FISH!!
WHERE'S NONYER CREEK?  FISHED PECK ALOT BUT CAN'T RECALL THAT CREEK!?

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:12 PM »
It's nonyer business!!!!  I'll be up there in a few weeks.... practicing at Francis til then
l

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Nice fish B
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Dont eat the big ones u will die! to much mercury man to much!

Offline hkdup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:38 PM »
i think you have to smell like yeagermister and cheap bush beer to get those big eyes to bite  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :roflmao:

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Dont eat the big ones u will die! to much mercury man to much!
im not dead yet but im still crazy

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:14 PM »

I haven't tried for catfish, but caught a 17 pounder two weeks ago around Devil's creek. I could have swore I had the state record walleye coming out of that hole. He hit a minnow at about 20 fow. Amazing fight and actually scared me a little when his big head popped out of the hole. It wasn't what I was expecting.
Fish Ninja

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.