The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman area ponds  (Read 14314 times)

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bozeman area ponds
« Reply #60 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Jimmer jammer you hit it right on the $$.  I've lived in bozeman since 1989 and have grown up in this valley.  It disgusts me to see what the tree huggers have done to what has alway's been one of the best outdoor communities.  Why can't we all just do what we enjoy and stay out of each others business.  I enjoy ripping around on a frozen lake once in a while...I also don't mind skiing or fishing but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy them all at the same time.  People need to freeking get a life... >:(  Anyways, fishing up at hyalite meanwhile is going to pot.  The freaking hippy's got the road plowed and now the traffic up there is ridiculous.  I would put my life on the fact that we are now putting ten times the amount of pollution into the atmosphere and up there and damaging more "plant life" than when the road wasn't plowed and the only way to get up there was by snow machine or ATV.  I love Bozeman, but hate what it is becoming :-\ 

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2010, 02:08 AM »
So before this warm weather melts away the ice, who's up for fishing river rock pond en mass?

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:21 PM »
So before this warm weather melts away the ice, who's up for fishing river rock pond en mass?

;D ;D

I saw a funny thing at the Oak Street pond yesterday while the kids were sledding. If you walk to the corner of the pond closest to the parking lot you'll see a small section of open water. As you get close to the open water a bunch of minnows will get spooked under the ice, where there are trout waiting for them. The trout will start darting out from under the ice to grab the ones on the edge. This carnage kept me amused for at least five minutes  ;). I was thinking of getting my flyrod and seeing if I could dab a fly at the ice edge and pick a few off.

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:30 PM »
went to the bozeman beach for a couple hours yesterday and caught  a nice amount of perch and a couple nice rainbows

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Nice, sounds like a good day, never fished that pond before, where on the pond do you like to fish? any size to the perch??

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:52 PM »
i dont fish that pond very much but i fished by the wooden dock and the biggest perch was probably about 11-12 inches and the rest were about 9-10

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:06 PM »
nice those are good sized perch, thanks

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:02 PM »
went out to the beach again to mess around  and got into another school of perch a couple nice ones  and and a couple bows too overall abput 25 fish in 3 hours

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:33 PM »
I think i say you out there this morning. It was a cold morning, I was thinking bout going this afternoon but had too much crap to do. Sounds like you had a good day. Nice Work!!!

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Does anyone keep the fish out of the beach???

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:12 PM »
people do...but I know it used to be an old landfill
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:07 PM »
hahaha,  I knew that.  Thats why I was asking.  Nothing like eating fish that taste like a diaper. :o

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:45 PM »
it actually has never been a landfill, it used to just be a gravel pit. the landfill was to the east of the pond!!

Offline Hardwateraddicton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:33 PM »
it actually has never been a landfill, it used to just be a gravel pit. the landfill was to the east of the pond!!

mtman000 is correct, they pulled gravel out of there to make the N. 7th RR overpass many moons ago. I wouldnt hesitate and have taken a few home from there for the pan. Nice to hear of some bigger perch being iced out there this year.
Jig... Jig... Thump!!

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:21 PM »
fished at the bozeman beach for a few hours this morning, pretty slow, jusst a few trout, no perch!! dang it!!

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:55 PM »
My only thing about eating the fish is I know that the FWP puts some of the old breeding stock in the pond so the trout can get a little old and not so tasty.

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Anyone know where to pull some perch out of this pond and what they are biting on?

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:28 PM »
We caught alot of smaller perch last night, nothing huge biggest was 8in, and a few rainblows, but the GF had fun so thats all that matters right? They were hitting on ratfinkees and a perch colored forage minnow, both tipped with maggots around 20fow. Good luck fishin'! 
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Where you fishing the south end of the lake, or where were you located? Thanks

Offline the man 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Have fished both the Gallatin rec. area pond and the mall pond the past week or so. Had a little better luck at the gallatin rec area, but both places were pretty slow. A few weeks ago I had a good day out on the mall pond, caught around 12 fish. Mostly perch and a few rainbows. Are there any other ponds to fish around Bozeman or Belgrade area? I have read people posting about an Oak pond, is that just another name for one of these ponds? Any info would be appreciated!

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:10 AM »
To get to Oak Street just drive west on Oak from 19th. The ponds are on the right about 1.5 miles down, after the small S-turn in the road (which is just past Davis Street). The ice on the first one seems questionable to me, but the back pond is usually pretty solid. Just trout and suckers in there, nothing special, but the kids can also sled on the hill if they get board.

rg

Offline the man 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I went out to the Oak ponds today. Caught a few rainbows minutes after putting my line in the water, and I left the bait at home, so I was just using a swedish pimple with a bare hook and got a few. Within 20 mins of getting there I had caught 3 small rainbows, then a bad wind/snow storm picked up, so I stuck around for a few more mins with no luck and got out of there. Nothing big out of there, but 3 rainbows in around 30 min of fishing isn't bad. Its fun to just catch some, even if they aren't very big. Around 4 inches of ice there, I just fished a few yards out from the parking area.

Offline Bransummitt97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:58 PM »
I fished EGRA bozeman beach today from 12pm to 6pm and caught 3 perch. 23 feet of water on northeast side. Saw school after school on the finder, but most fish would not bite, just hover next to the jig. Seems like fishing pressure has made them smart. No bites on spoons or jigging baits, only fish caught were on ratfinkies. Probly would have gotten more bites if i was there in the morning vs afternoon.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:11 AM »
What are the ice conditions? Weather has been funky and I am curious how the ice is holding up in town.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.