The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry 09/10  (Read 25106 times)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Canyon Ferry 09/10
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Heading that way tomorrow or going to try to will let you know what I find.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline rookieice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I had to drive around the backside of the lake this morning and stopped in Hellgate and drilled a series of 8 holes across the bay, starting about 2/3 of the way across and working back about 50 yards at a time, moving from 45 feet to 20 feet of water.  I was mostly playing around with my fishfinder after rigging it up for ice fishing for the first time.  The ice is great clear ice -maybe 9".  I didn't work any one spot for very long, but there wasn't much on the fish finder.  I've caught perch off the ice there before - maybe 5 years ago. 

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Fished CF today and it was good. Didn't make it down to Goose Bay, but chose not to cause was told it was slow down there. Doesn't mean it'll be slow when you go.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Da-Jigger was wonderin if you made it out to hellgate today?

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:55 PM »
DA-JIGGER WHERE DID YOU GO ON THE LAKE TODAY...i WAS THINKIN ON HEADIN OUT JUST NORTH OF CONFEDERATE

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:03 AM »
ANYONE KNOW THE  ICE CONDITION AROUND CEMETARY  ISLAND?.....
(PATHFINDER)

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Just drove around the lake and people were out fishing cemetary island...I don't know how the ice is but their were two Ice shanty's out their and 3-4 people out on the ice around them

Offline MrBigStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Went out between silos and hole in the wall and tried our luck, ice was about 15 inches and it was pretty windy need a good shanty too windy to put up the frabil outback tried to turn us into kiteboarders.  only had a couple of bites but landed none maybe we will try again tomorrow. 

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:22 PM »
I was out near hole in the wall, stayed for about two hours with no luck. what is the best bait to use for perch?
Have a Fine Navy Day :)

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Friday, Jan. 1st around 12:45 pm there was a loud crack at the south end, everybody came out of there shacks looking around, any idea what caused it? Scared the heebe jeebes right out of me!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:26 PM »
been a lot of those.  I was out there last week and had that happen two days in a row.  Where you by a pressure ridge?  I believe that loud sound is the ice cracking......unless it was a totally different noise.  When we were out there it actually shook you like an earthquake, not quite as dramatic but enough to make you pucker up a bit.

Headed up this afternoon for the elusive walter.  Headed to goose bay since we had heard of people getting them there in the past.  Hope its worth it.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:10 AM »
Are there walleye in CF???  I've caught a handful fishing for perch but I've never done any good when I actually go after them.  Fished what should have been a good spot last night, a point that stuck out quite a ways to the main lake.  No significant drop offs but reasonable water.  Fished from about 38 f0w in the bay to 12 fow on the point.  Marked two fish one on my sonar and my buddy marked one.  Without hooking up its hard to tell what they were.  Chubby darters, buck shots, jigging raps, all tipped with minnow heads.  Walters in that lake are frustrating

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2010, 12:12 PM »
my son and i went to the south end (mayhood) and fished in 6fow yesterday- trout fishin' was slow.... again. we tried tippin' our various jigs with abit of crawler or maggot, we jigged for hours... same result, slow. we did land 3 between 2-3lbs. but only 4 bites til' we left at 3PM. ice was @ 15inches. TG

Offline MT Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Went out today south of silos around were the Christmas trees will be accumulated (at the pressure ridge). Fished from 8:00 am to 10:30am...............no luck. Saw nobody catching. Ice is about 13 to 15 inches.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:41 AM »
We went off of Duck Creek on Saturday fished about 50 fow. Really slow  :( We hit the ice about 12:30 or so cause we had a slow start and did not get any bites till around 3:30 then we iced four perch of decent size and missed a few more. The bite only lasted about an hour or so. The ice was about 13 inches.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Heading up tommorrow for a few days of camping. Any new reports?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:22 AM »
A buddy and I are headed up today for the walleye again.  I will be happy if we can ice one.  Trying tonight and tomorrow morning.  Hoping it will be good.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Finally had a good day on Canyon Ferry yesterday. Jagmt and I caught 24 nice perch. The bite was the best in the morning and it didn't seem to matter what we put in the water as long as it had a hook on it. From the sounds of things we were the only ones out there who did any good. I guess we just happend to be holding our jaws right to get them to bite.
MT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:33 PM »
yet another magical weekend on CF trying to get walleyes.  Two evenings, one morning, and an entire day and ONE 13" walleye.  Awesome.  Don't walleye like sunken islands?  I thought they did.  Don't they like steep drop offs because I thought they did.  Nice benches off of drop offs again I thought that was walleye habitat. 

Just keep pluggin away till we find them I guess.

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:49 PM »
there is a secrete  i guess !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
(PATHFINDER)

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:54 PM »
The Pike ATE Them ALL!!!!!! and SAVED THE PERCH!!!!THATS THE STORY THE OLD BOYS TOLD ME !!!
(PATHFINDER)

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:40 PM »
The pike missed one and my son-in-law caught it today; but how frustrating he caught it bout the time he put his line down about 8:30 am this morning then we never got a bite the rest of day packed up and left at 2pm...those Wallye are tough to get to bite we vexed fish most of the day tho so we must have been in the right area

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Was out this weekend from friday to sunday and didn't have much luck. Fished friday night and didn't have a single bite for ling. Fished Sat morning and missed a few perch in the morning and caught a few rainbows in the afternoon. Fished for trout that night and sunk a atv. Man in is amassing how fast a pressure ridge will open up and then freeze over. Went by the spot in the afternoon and it was solid. Crossed over after dark and bam 20 feet of water. Everything made it out alright so that was good. Fished sunday morning and caught two rainbows.

Offline justintee15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Bummer on the atv! Fished sunday morning and caught seven bows. Had some good size to them and were biting very hard.  Its picking up out there!

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:14 PM »
havn't had the chance to make it over to CF yet this year, how thick is the ice... Are people driving on it by the pressure ridge yet, or even just out for the trout, just  south of the silos? thanks

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #85 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:02 PM »
over 2 weeks ago people were driving trucks on the ice. I saw 2 boneheads parked next to eachother about 5 feet from a pressure ridge. doh. Darwin Awards here we come!  Ice was about 16-18" on Monday the 11th I'd guess.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Was out north of the hole in the wall it was slow but my wife and I were able to ice 5 Perch and my first Wallye thru the ice..finally..all this in six hours...when it is slow it is slow....their was a crap load of water sitting on the ice right now due to the warm weather but their was still a good 18 to 20 inches of ice...

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:22 PM »
last weekend I saw people with campers on the ice. After drilling about 100 holes over the weekend the thinnest I saw the ice is 18"

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:28 PM »
How exactly do you get out to hole in the wall? Is it north of the silos? I'm relatively new to CF but would like to head out there possibly this weekend.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:22 PM »
north of the silos on the west shore. if you have a quad just park at the silos and take off north and you will see the mass of people. watch out for the pressure ridge! if you walk.....like myself, follow the little side roads along the shore and try and get as close as you can without getting stuck. its quite a ways north of the silos. good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.