The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry 09/10  (Read 25101 times)

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
Re: Canyon Ferry 09/10
« Reply #120 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:02 PM »
or go up north in the bays and u can use black and green marabou jigs, brown and yellow or white they all work just depends on the day good luck  ;)
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:49 PM »
While i think the rainbows are normally staging this time of year. I think they are running late this year. Almost all the trout I have been catching have been suspended in deeper water in all the lakes I have fished. I was fishing next to some guys with fish finders yesterday at the silos and they didn't mark a fish from 9 till 4:45 and then those fish wouldn't even look at the lures. In fact thinking about it the shallowest I caught a trout this year was 12 fow and it was a really dark male that was starting to stage up.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Feb 20, 2010, 10:54 AM »
thanks GH, but you do know that the 'christmas trees' are up(flow) and south of silo's (?),this is the general area we fish the most when lookin' for trout at this time of the season and in past years this area has been very good to me. we typically fish in 4-12fow between the iceboats and the dikes.. we slipped up north off the old silos ramp to the first point one of our days... we call this 'north point'. many times good to us ... this time, not so good. but we did have a good view of the motorcycles... won't go there again on the weekend. thanks for all the good tips guy's.. i'm an old bird and i tend to fish where i have been successful in past years, and i have been icefishin CF for 30 years. i do think i will move south of the christmas trees and abit closer to the dikes as the trout bunch-up abit on the upper end, and the ice rots in the next month  . thanks again guys for the tips, in a season that has been very slow for me. good luck to all.TG

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #123 on: Feb 21, 2010, 04:59 PM »
went up north didn't get a bite for a hour or two no trout or perch bites so got fustrated and went fishing elswhere  >:(  >:( but the elsewhere fishing was aswome. ;D  ;D canyon ferry just must be on a strike this year. so iam probably done going up there for the year. gonna go to my :whistle:  secret spots for the rest of the year :whistle:. hope u guys do good at canyon ferry

:icefish:
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline JiffyJockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:37 AM »
Fished on Sunday, 2/21......decided to get away from the crowd (in other words, most of you)  ;).  Smart move with plenty of walleye and ling rewards.  The walleye's came in right around sunset.  Put our tipups at both the top of a dropoff (12 FOW) and at the bottom of a dropoff (26 FOW).  Just as the sun was setting we had three flags spring.  Then 2 more about 10 minutes later.  Finally, we found the walleyes.  Also picked up a ling and missed another I believe. 

Plain hooks (glow or plain) tipped with a dead minnow or dead minnow head/tail was the ticket. 

Hope my setup helps anyone else pursuing walleye's on Canyon Ferry.  Good luck and no, I will not be posting where I was.  Kinda like hunting, in that you scout and find some honey holes once in a while.  Not about to post my coordinates on here or general location.  Good luck out there.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:47 PM »
hey jiffyjockey, great to hear a good fishin' report out of CF... while i typically target trout, i did catch my first ever walleye about 3 weeks ago while jiggin' for trout (only 13"). sorry for the dumb question..but when you say 'dead minnow' are u talkin' about the minnows i see at various bait stores in SW montana, suspended in some sorta juice and in a plastic bag? is there a brand name i should look for? is it best to double hook them, hook towards the front and again towards the tail or a single hook at base of dorsal?.thanks TG

Offline JiffyJockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Feb 23, 2010, 02:05 PM »
hey jiffyjockey, great to hear a good fishin' report out of CF... while i typically target trout, i did catch my first ever walleye about 3 weeks ago while jiggin' for trout (only 13"). sorry for the dumb question..but when you say 'dead minnow' are u talkin' about the minnows i see at various bait stores in SW montana, suspended in some sorta juice and in a plastic bag? is there a brand name i should look for? is it best to double hook them, hook towards the front and again towards the tail or a single hook at base of dorsal?.thanks TG

Troutguy.....good question.  Yes, I am talking about the frozen minnows you can find at sporting goods stores. I believe they are smelt.  That said, take a plain hook and hook a whole minnow at the front end of the dorsal fin (fin on the top of the back in the middle of the body.  As for the minnow heads, hook them right right under the jaw and push the hook up through the top of the skull (between the eyes).  As for the minnow tails, we took a plain hook and threaded the tail onto the hook and exposed just the tip of the hook.  Size 8 or 10 hooks are my preference.  Also, if you are using tipups, make sure you use 10 pound mono or flourocarbon.  Attach the tipup line to a barrel swivel and then tie your leader (mono) to the other end of the barrel swivel.  then tie your hook onto the mono.  In addition, when you are first putting your tipups out, make sure you straight out the coils in the the mono, especially when using minnow heads or tails as they are not very heavy and the coils in the line.

Hope this helps.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:07 AM »
thanks a ton buddy...TG

Offline saint_nick3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Any info on how the ice is holding up?

Thanks

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:31 AM »
I was there yesterday at duck creek. Still solid, but there were shallow puddles of water on the surface. Not really enough to make the ice opaque, but it is getting close to that point.

rg

Offline JiffyJockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Regarding ice conditions.....I would be really carful out there.  I have been driving on ice for a long time and to say the least this past weekend scared the crap out of me.  When drilling holes, you will notice how water logged the ice is.  I drove out this last weekend and drilled a few holes, at which point I got the heck off the lake.  Yes, there is 17 inches of ice, but I have walked on 10 inches of ice before and fell right through the ice. 

Not sure where everyone else is fishing, but a few miles north of Silos the ice was crap.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Two of us were up there Sun., looked like Ice was startin to get water in it. Also the bite was terrible. Aprox. 42 rods in the area and only 1 fish caught. Very few people out. I think everyone has given up one lake for the year.  Good luck, be safe.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Mar 04, 2010, 11:13 AM »
fished at the dikes last friday, folks were still drivin' on the ice up to the pressure ridge. i did not get a bite in 3 hours..neither did my neighbors. i moved all the up to near the dam..fished on 14 inches of good ice...in 4 hours i iced 3 big purple breeders and a 1 lb little guy that i returned. while the 3 big 4pounders made for a nice pic the meat was of poor quality and mushy lookin'. ... probably should be smoked only. we fished the area again on sat and sun..ice was gettin' softer every day and we only a few bites after that first day..be safe. TG 

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Fished at the dikes today and had pretty good luck. Ended up icing 11 fish between a friend and I. Fish were hitting everything we threw at them but green. Used worms and mealworms with a definte prefernce towards worms. Fishing in 8 fow 2 feet of the bottom. Action really picked up between 12:30 to 3:00 with no bites after and some in the morning. Seemed like they were really schooling up now. Lots of multiple bites on differnt lines at the same time. Ice is stil 16" but very soft and saw 4 vehicles on the ice. Pretty brave if you ask me.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:07 PM »
Think you would still be good on an atv or is it getting to soft.  might try to head up one last time for some trout
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:02 AM »
On Thursday there were people driving one ton trucks on the ice. There is a lot of ice left 16" but it is really soft and the pressure ridges had water on them.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:51 PM »
just got back from the upper end...a much better bite all around... most of my neighbors were catchin' a few also.., some more.....the 'creel checker' said folks were catchin' trout from the silos to the dikes. if you haven't put your trout rods away, i'd give the upper end a try, ice should hold up another week or so-"worms best" . .. 18 " of soft ice.TG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.