Author Topic: hummingbird 35 vs 45 and 55  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Adam88

• Team IceShanty Regular
hummingbird 35 vs 45 and 55
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Just curious about your experiences with these flashers and what each has better than the other.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hummingbird 35 vs 45 and 55
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I just recently purchased the 35. I have not been able to use it but with everything all said and down I will be getting it for around 200$. I have read great reviews on this unit.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2015, 02:50 PM »
I didn't really answer your question. But i am super excited about it! If we ever get ice!!!

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with hummingbirds just get the model that suits the type of fish you are targeting. The 35 is suitable for most of our lakes unless you start after lake trout and start fishing the 100-200ft then you might find the 45 or 55 the better option

Offline linesnapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2015, 03:17 PM »
I have the 55 for 6 years no problems with it.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I've had the 55 for a couple years now. Of the 3 units mentioned it has the most options. Target line, 6 colors, zoom, carry case, 2-angle cone, backlight. 45 is just a 55 without target line and case, and only 3 colors. 35 I believe has a different ducer, only 1 angle and not pushing as much "power". Don't quote me on any of this, I'm no rep. but I think those are the big diffs.
It must be something in the water.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:01 PM »
I bought the 35 last year.  It has a wide and narrow angle transducer.  I've really liked it! I bought a  soft case for it this year.  Liked the price point as well.  It sure beats fishing blind and I really like to hole hop now.  It has made ice fishing a much more enjoyable experience. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Adam88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Thanks guys what's the target line and what does it do?

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:24 PM »
i have a 55    its a beauty

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:27 PM »
You can add a target line anywhere in the water column (any depth).  To be honest I am not sure its value for hardwater fishing.  You can see the fish on the graph so I am not sure why you need to add a mark on the screen indicating a depth.  And if you cannot remember fish are coming in 6 feet off (or whatever depth they are at) you may need a memory test....:)  Maybe there is more to the target feature and I just haven't been smart enough to figure it out?  I know I have fished with mine for 5 years and never used it.

IMO the most important part of a flasher, aside from reliability, is zoom and dual beam ducer.  I rarely use the 19 degree cone as I like to keep my gain down.  Sure I may not pick up quite as many fish as the cone is more narrow but I prefer a lower gain to pick up my jig. 

If you have the extra money I would go with a vexilar.  Yes they are more expensive but....  You will get opinions all over the board but IMO vexilar are the most reliable and seem to be bullet proof.  All of my buddies run vexilars and not one has ever had an issue with one.  I bought a HB 55 the first year of production and it has been an adventure to say the least.  They may have fixed the issues since then I guess.  The only reason I do not run a vex is to avoid interference.  We fish 4 units in our permanent shack and it turns into an IR war.  With my HB I have no interference and the other 3 units do ok.  We have found 3 units together cause some interference but adding a 4th in close proximity turns into a real mess. 

If I have learned anything in all my years of hunting and fishing it is to spend a little extra money up front for years of happiness. 

Offline Adam88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:03 PM »
I have the 35 and I was just wondering if the 45 or 55 is that much better

Offline Northern Pikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:53 PM »
I was looking at the 55 last year and after some research and lots of procrastinating I ended up buying the Hummingbird 688 cd ice. It has a flasher mode, but I ended up using the LCD screen with the realtime on the side. With the moving screen it gives you some history in case you look away and happen to miss a fish going by. Ended up buying a second transducer for the summer so I can use the unit year round.  Took some getting used too and playing around before I figured it out. Once I did I can say it did help me, especially Lake Trout fishing. Only drawback is that if you are fishing in less than 6 feet of water it has too much clutter to be able to read the screen.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:03 PM »
the target line is the only waste on the 55.   mine is  6 years in and going strong, same battery even.  as long as you get something with zoom and dual beam you're good to go.  also love the extra colors on the 55 and the bag.  i would look at the helix if i was in the market right now.

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Your best bang for your buck is the ice 35. Dual beam and zoom. Not sure why you need the extra two colors that the 55 offers. You don't need that kind of accuracy between a 8" or a 9" perch haha. If you see a moving line on any flasher it's a fish duh. I fish with a 35 and have used friends 55 and I don't see any justification for the extra few hundred bucks. You will catch more fish with any flasher you get familiar with. If you do have the money to spend I recommend a dual summer and winter unit as mentioned in earlier post. To be honest if I could sell my 35 for a decent price I'd buy the kit to convert my humminbird 688 into a winter unit.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Bought a 35 last year and have no complaints. Usually not fishing more than 40'-50' and does everything I need it too. Once you catch a fish with it you won't be able to go anywhere without it.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:09 PM »
 yep you can buy the cheap one and it will do the job, or you can buy the better one and it will do the job and then some.  to each their own!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:21 PM »
I have the 35 going on year five. Not a single problem yet. All Humminbirds come with zoom and a dual beam (wide/narrow) transducer. My only gripe is fishing 40+ feet of water with the zoom. It's more of a magnifying than anything. It essentially takes the window and magnifies it. IMO it's not a true zoom. A vex/marcum has much better zoom. A few years back I was at Devils Lake and the perch were in fifty foot and I was fishing next to a vex all day. I about went and bought a vex that day.

Offline Walleyes at heart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:35 PM »
I was in the market , was going to go with a marcum , found myself a deal on a new in the box HB ice 55 for $380 Canadian ,
For the amount of fishing I do and I used to own a vexilar , this is a very sweet flasher ,  love watching them fish come up and take my jig

I hope it last me like others have had , I plan on trying to rig if for my boat also , I think I'll just have to get another transducer

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2015, 05:14 PM »
I got the ice 45 last year , wanted the read out in the middle also the auto function for depth quickly. One short season on it and really like it. I just store mine in a five gallon pail, nice to set it on to when your using it.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Can't go wrong with any of the birds, I've had the whole series and had good luck with all of mine. Running a helix 5 right now and its pretty cool too.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline chrisfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I got a 55. Couple years ago I ordered a 45, canceled it because I realized you don't get the Soft Sided Carrying Case which was another 60 dollars. I also own a Vexilar FL-20 Ultra, and a few others. My go to flasher i'd say is the Vexilar, why? Because it has a low power mode, which lets me see things my bird don't in shallow water. Does it catch me more fish than the 55? probably not! Never had an issue with with the 55, overall a good flasher!

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2015, 08:21 AM »
I have the 35, it does everything I need it to, excellent usability and battery life.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.