The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer  (Read 34251 times)

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer
« on: Sep 22, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Update as of October 24, 2018 the K-Drill staff does not recommend the Mud-Mixer for their K-drill application.
Use at your risk!!!!

For the ultimate cordless ice auger. Take one K-Drill and add one Milwaukee mud mixer!
Take one Milwaukee mud mixer. Add Quik-lok chuck.

Modify the K-drill adapter to 7/16" Quik-lok.

Auger now "snaps" onto mixer.

Want an extension? Use any of the Milwaukee Quik-Lok extensions.

The whole unit with one 5AH battery weighs in at 12.5# With cover.

Now just have to wait for ICE!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Do they sell it with the QuickLock chuck yet? Or did Add it yourself?

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2017, 05:44 AM »
So how much do you have invested, or someone else have invested in the rig we see here?? It will be interesting to see how that performs on the ice compared to a regular Milwaukee 20 volt drill. No need for a Clam plate this way, right??

Edit-  Meant to say 18 volt drill, sorry.  ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2017, 02:25 PM »
So how much do you have invested, or someone else have invested in the rig we see here?? It will be interesting to see how that performs on the ice compared to a regular Milwaukee 20 volt drill. No need for a Clam plat this way, right??
The quik-lok chuck is available separately one of the other Milwaukee tools uses it.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2017, 02:40 PM »
So how much do you have invested, or someone else have invested in the rig we see here?? It will be interesting to see how that performs on the ice compared to a regular Milwaukee 20 volt drill. No need for a Clam plat this way, right??
I'm a Milwaukee dealer so my investment is a bit less.
The quik-lok chuck is about $45.00. The bare tool is about $199.00. The kit which is tool, 2 5AH batteries and charger for around $350. Then have someone do the machine work on the adapter.
Was more of a project than anything.
The motor and gears are way bigger and heavy duty than the Fuel drill, but as you said no need for a Clam plate.
Same RPM and Milwaukee isn't listing the torque of the tool.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I'm a Milwaukee dealer so my investment is a bit less.
The quik-lok chuck is about $45.00. The bare tool is about $199.00. The kit which is tool, 2 5AH batteries and charger for around $350. Then have someone do the machine work on the adapter.
Was more of a project than anything.
The motor and gears are way bigger and heavy duty than the Fuel drill, but as you said no need for a Clam plate.
Same RPM and Milwaukee isn't listing the torque of the tool.
Plus  you need to add the price of the K-drill  on top of all that!! That's spendy!!!  :blink:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2017, 04:08 PM »
I have a Nills 10" welded to a quick release bit that is used on a Super Hawg right now. The mixer looks great for an 8". Do both chucks come off via an Allen screw? Thanks!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2017, 07:34 PM »
I have a Nills 10" welded to a quick release bit that is used on a Super Hawg right now. The mixer looks great for an 8". Do both chucks come off via an Allen screw? Thanks!
Yes the chucks are held on with a allen screw.
Is your SuperHawg cordless?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08:00 PM »

I'm not sure.....but I believe a "superHawg" is the Milwaukee M18 Brushless Hammer drill with 1200in/lbs. So if I'm correct it would be cordless.

What was the reason behind using a mud mixer? Just cause? Looks like it will work, but unless a guy does a lot of dry wall stuff I'd think more people would have a use for a drill.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08:46 PM »
I'm not sure.....but I believe a "superHawg" is the Milwaukee M18 Brushless Hammer drill with 1200in/lbs. So if I'm correct it would be cordless.

What was the reason behind using a mud mixer? Just cause? Looks like it will work, but unless a guy does a lot of dry wall stuff I'd think more people would have a use for a drill.
I do warranty and repair tools for a living and in "my" opinion there is an awful lot of stress on those gear boxes not sop much from the drilling but from carrying the whole works around.
The mud mixer is a way stronger gear box. The gear box is only one speed, no hammer drill or clutch stuff just a gear box.
Sounds like you have one of the 1/2" fuel drills.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2703-20
This is the SuperHawg.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2711-22

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2017, 09:34 PM »
The mud mixer would probably be good with a 10" auger and extension for the wheelhouse guys. I would trust Milwaukee's gear box before i would trust Clams... Especially after last years debacle.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2017, 10:27 PM »
Yes it is the cordless m18. I am a plumbing contractor and have used it for new construction work. I love a 10" for tip up fishing. Any word on whether Milwaukee will release the mixer with the quick release already installed? Also, will it fit a regular hammer drill driver?

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Yes it is the cordless m18. I am a plumbing contractor and have used it for new construction work. I love a 10" for tip up fishing. Any word on whether Milwaukee will release the mixer with the quick release already installed? Also, will it fit a regular hammer drill driver?
I'm having a local machinist re-thread some Quik-lok chucks to 9/16 which is what most of the 1/2" drills use for a spindle.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Acme Tools for the past 2 days was offering $20 off $100 and the mud mixer was one of the tools. Free shipping for $199.

All the upcoming holidays the tool companies have sales.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2017, 11:32 PM »
I'm having a local machinist re-thread some Quik-lok chucks to 9/16 which is what most of the 1/2" drills use for a spindle.
Any chance I could buy one or two through you? Thanks!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:28 PM »
I looked my Quick-lok chuck over. Hopefully you have a plan B.
The Milwaukee drills have a rating of 1200 in. lbs. of torque, that's 100 ft. lbs.
I have serious reservations that the quick-lok chuck will transmit that much torque.
Of course My Opinion Only.
Any competant design engineer would have a 3X safety factor and having a human interface a 10X safety factor is necessary.
They are designed for the big bits. I drill with them daily at work 2 9/16 hole through 2 x 4 no problem. I also have a quick lock chuck on my super  hawg that I drill 10 inch holes through the ice with.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:00 PM »
They are designed for the big bits. I drill with them daily at work 2 9/16 hole through 2 x 4 no problem. I also have a quick lock chuck on my super  hawg that I drill 10 inch holes through the ice with.

When I first looked at the QuikLok here I was thinking the 1/4" hex drive. Looking at the QuikLok today at Home Depot I now realize it's a 7/16 Hex drive.
The Milwaukee factory guy added a 12" to a 6"  and ran it with a M18 drill. Runout down there was barely noticeable. Very well made.
I still want the left-hand screw holding the QuikLok driver to the motor shaft.
whitefishmt's idea of using the QuikLok is outstanding.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:55 PM »
I went ahead and bought a Milwaukee mixer drill and am looking forward to seeing how it performs on the ice.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Me too.  ;D  with an Nils 8” Power Point at the business end.  ;D  I’m gonna make my lake look like Swiss cheese.  ;D
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:23 PM »

The mud mixer is a way stronger gear box. The gear box is only one speed, no hammer drill or clutch stuff just a gear box.

The MudMixer has a rotary switch to select 200rpm, 300rpm, 400rpm and MAX (which is 500 rpm) and all are variable speed.
Attached is a picture of a adapter I had made which goes from the MudMixer output shaft to a 7/8" input (K-Drill, most full size Strikemaster augers, and the older Strike-Lite 8" synthetic auger (which I have one). I'm not fond of holding the auger bit in a chuck so all my adapters (Mora, Strikemaster Lazer Hand and Nils. All have screws holding everything together. And they all allow the left-hand screw holding the driver to the Milwaukee output shaft.
As a sidebar last week Acme had 20% off on Milwaukee which priced the MudMixer at $160. The QuikLok driver is at HD for $19 and someone has Milwaukee 2X 5AH batteries w/charger for $120. Cyber Monday was a Milwaukee lovers dream.
See the next reply for the attachment.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:24 PM »

Leave Some For Seed

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:21 PM »
How are the mud mixer set ups working?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:44 PM »
How are the mud mixer set ups working?
Used mine this morning and it worked great.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:58 AM »
Do you get more holes than with the normal hammer drill?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:52 AM »
Do you get more holes than with the normal hammer drill?
The Mud Mixer has a larger, more powerful motor, so I would guess that you would get fewer holes with it than the drill using the same sized battery, but that’s purely speculation on my part.  The gearing in each could affect battery life as well.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Anymore verdict on how the mud mixers are working in comparison?

Is it slower?  Does the battery last longer?  Is it worth it?

I use the 2703-22 drill/driver at least once every other week in the off season and every few days on the ice ~3.5months - occasionally until a battery runs out.  This has been the case now for a couple years and it still works?!..  I don't see the benefit of buying the dedicated mud mixer unless I had other uses for it.. the quick-lock extensions would be great, but I also use the 1/4" eskimo ice stake tool quite a bit as well.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Hey Whitefishmt, how did you get the quicklok threaded chuck to fit the mud mixers slotted output shaft?  Did you replace the output shaft with the one from the hole hawg?  Any other mods or tooling needed?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:41 PM »

I think we're on the same page here DY. I was thinking of deconstructing the keyed chuck and having an adapter welded to it and being able to swap it out (as necessary) just like a drill chuck. Did you make that adapter and rather than re-invent a wheel might a second be available?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Hey Whitefishmt, how did you get the quicklok threaded chuck to fit the mud mixers slotted output shaft?  Did you replace the output shaft with the one from the hole hawg?  Any other mods or tooling needed?
Milwaukee makes a Quik-loc that has the same configuration ( I call it a double d) as the mud mixer, slips right on the mixer. The only machine work was to the k drill adapter. I'll post the part number for the chuck tomorrow.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:35 PM »
You are the man whitefishmt.  For the life of me I cannot locate that part number.  Just for reference I have developed a solution to adapt the quick lok adapter to the kdrill, Strikemaster, or Lazer augers with no machining.  I'll post it here when I'm done.  Hopefully I can locate the chuck before the weekend. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.