The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Husqvarna ice augers?  (Read 36638 times)

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Husqvarna ice augers?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:36 PM »
My buddy had a brand new 10" Z71 out last weekend and im sure the husky had it beat with the 8" flighting, im going to mount the 10" and next time he's out I will try and make a video comparison.

Just a word of caution.. I bought my auger with the flighting all assembled, I assumed everything would be tight but when I was drilling this weekend I had 2 of 4 of the bolts holding my blades on come loose. Of course I lost the two little bolts so now I need to track some down, Im just glad I caught it before I wrecked my blades. Lucky for me I brought the jiffy for my buddies to use or we would have been SOL. Having to use that old thing for half a day made me appreciate my husky that much more, amazing how much easier drilling it is.

Make sure everything is tight and if you are doing the assembly yourself it wouldnt hurt to use a little dab of locktite.

:tipup:
If that little husky will keep up with the z71 I will be buying one for next season,  I tried a 71 last weekend and it has alot of power, I think more than my 3hp barracuda , but all the cheap plastic parts made in china does not impress me, you guys may make a believer out of my yet. 
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 09, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Well it's here!  I'm showing 13# for powerhead and 11# for the 10" drill with blade cover.  And yes the blades are Swedish built.

Crappy part is I might not get out this weekend...

BTW my Jiffy Pro in 9" (lightest of the Jiffy's at the time) comes in at 30.5#

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #92 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Enjoy, theres no going back now. Ive run 3 tanks of fuel through mine now, 150-200+ holes for sure and it just gets better every trip out. Easiest drilling auger there is out there, let the drill do all the work.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:17 PM »
I gave mine the initial once over like I do with my saws when new.  Husqvarna is very good about using consistent fastener size so a 4mm allen (or the tip of the scrench) takes it all apart.  True to Husqvarna fashion the plastic panels are bushed with brass so they can be tightened without crushing, cracking, or loosening.  I used a hot blade and snipped the limiting cams off of the carb screws and pulled the muffler to check out the exhaust outlet size. The exhaust exit was at best just under 1/4" so I step drilled it to about 1/2".  I put the spark screen back in and left the outlet hood as it was.  I left the catalyst junk in the muffler as it isn't much more than just a wad of lathe shaving looking spirals captured in the opening in the partition wall.  Nothing to do on the intake side on these.  Carb screws were prety much spot on.

This unit has a rev limiting coil so a guy has to watch how you adjust the High speed mix.  It will sound as if it is still fat and burbly when on this limiter.  It limits somewhere around 11,500 RPM.  I doubt there is an unlimited coil for these like we use on our saws.   To me it sounds as if I could stand to lean it just a touch, but won't mess with it until I get some break in time on it.     

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #94 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:28 PM »
I gave mine the initial once over like I do with my saws when new.  Husqvarna is very good about using consistent fastener size so a 4mm allen (or the tip of the scrench) takes it all apart.  True to Husqvarna fashion the plastic panels are bushed with brass so they can be tightened without crushing, cracking, or loosening.  I used a hot blade and snipped the limiting cams off of the carb screws and pulled the muffler to check out the exhaust outlet size. The exhaust exit was at best just under 1/4" so I step drilled it to about 1/2".  I put the spark screen back in and left the outlet hood as it was.  I left the catalyst junk in the muffler as it isn't much more than just a wad of lathe shaving looking spirals captured in the opening in the partition wall.  Nothing to do on the intake side on these.  Carb screws were prety much spot on.

This unit has a rev limiting coil so a guy has to watch how you adjust the High speed mix.  It will sound as if it is still fat and burbly when on this limiter.  It limits somewhere around 11,500 RPM.  I doubt there is an unlimited coil for these like we use on our saws.   To me it sounds as if I could stand to lean it just a touch, but won't mess with it until I get some break in time on it.     

Im quite happy with mine so far 

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #95 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:03 PM »

Any noticable increase in power? Did it make the auger louder?

I love how quiet my auger is but more power never hurt.  ;D

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Well I got a bit ahead of myself.  I started out with the simple intent to trim the limiter tabs so that I could adjust the carb properly should there be a need to.  I got caught up in he moment and went after the muffler as well.  I have yet to cut a hole with it or place under any sort of load, but past experience tells me that the muffler outlet was WAY too small for it to breathe.  The majority of the noise output is intake noise and while it is definitely still "fresh" the intake sounds are a bit "boggy" as is.  Opening up the muffler outlet definitely increased the exhaust note, but I think it tends to match the intake sound level now.

In hindsight I probably should have left it until I had a chance to break it in a bit and evaluate the need.  Then again I can always just get a different muffler for it to put it back to stock. 

I guess the turning point for me was when I folded open the deflector which is welded on one side and held down by a mudffler mounting screw on the other.  I figured the less I had to bend this back and forth the better. 

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Well I got out late Sunday and did not hit the ice until after 2pm.  Brisk and windy anyhow and still early enough to drill some holes and catch a lone keeper walleye.

Drill cuts nice.  I still need to get the hang of working the choke which could stand to have a much larger tab.  Cold starts are quick and easy, but when I take off teh choke it eventually stalls.  I'll figure out a rhythm and carb adjustment I'm sure.

Purrs like a kitten, runs smooth and strong. Spiral has a fair bit of wobble feel as it cuts, but this may just be no big deal.  My Jiffy spins twice as fast with half the cutter and I'm thinking it wobbles a bit too only faster.  Might try to get both drills on the ice for a comparison.

Best part is light weight and once running and warmed justa few seconds it just stays running.  No more opening gas cap vent either and clear tank tells me what I have left.   

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #98 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Make sure your flighting is very tight and if you are still getting the shakes its mostly from not drilling straight. I know when I start to get the wobbles its only when I start to get angled while drilling, as soon as I straighten out it goes away. As far as the choke goes im still going through the same process, im so used to my jiffy that I often overchoke the husky or flood it. Most times it just needs a pull without the choke and its ready to go, especially if it has run in the last hour or if it rode in the cab of the truck.

Does anyone know where to get a husky/normark extension? Im pretty much limited out in the shack right now and I would prefer not to have to get one machined if I dont have to.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Went out yesterday to do a drilling project for an aerator.  Essentially 28 holes at diffferent locations spread out over about 40+ acres of ice.   Auger worked awesome.  I really came to appreciate the momentary engine stop switch right on the control handle.  Also the no vent gas cap and easy starting.  After drilling the first hole I stopped the engine, set the auger in the carrier on my ATV, picked up the marker flag and moved on to the next one.  Single pull starting no complaints, cut smooth and steady and an hour later we were done so I loaded up and moved to our normal fishing area and drilled 7 more holes.  So with 35 holes on the tank I'd say that I have at least 2-3x that many holes left on this tank.  Since I'm not one to drill more than a dozen or so holes per outing, and typically get out less than a dozen or so times I'm thinking a single tank full will last me the season.  Then again this years ice is only 14" versus typical 24". 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #100 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Awesome, it only gets better. Slowly all my friends are being converted, everybody likes it but there is a bit of a sticker shock when you compare the price to other augers out there.

Did you end up getting the 10" hesperus? I havent taken my 8 off yet but I really should go give it a shot. Also, I need to find an extension as im pretty much at the max while drilling in the shack.

Your fuel consumption sounds about right, I figure im getting about 50+ holes/tank @ roughly 24 inches of ice. I love the fuel cap, way nicer than the jiffy caps.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:37 PM »
I went 10" and I'm quite happy with it.  I was initially concerned about the size as my Jiffy is 9" which I think is prefect and I considered adding an 8" bit.  I find that contrary to ratings where Strikemaster is referred to as 10.25" it seems to give me a closer to a 9.75" hole so my Ice 55 won't fit down the hole.   250mm is 9.8x" so my observations seem accurate.   I guess the 10.25" is the old single cutter chipper blade.

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Well I am happy to say that I officially love my Husky auger.
I bought it used for $300 with new auger blades installed and a spare new set it is a 225AI25.
The seller did a run test for me and I could tell the engine was in great condition little dusty and in need of some fresh gas but all in all I couldnt go wrong so I took it.
On my very first hole it drilled like a dream except when I came to the last bit of ice it would grab and twist the head unit almost breaking my wrist (crazy amount of torque on these 1.2 HP augers) So then I began checking blades did a clean and tune up but still had the issue I went to a dealership and a side but side comparison showed that my auger bit had a slight bend in it. With the dealership staff not convinced that was my issue and a new flighting costing about $210 I was hesitant to purchase a new flighting. I then came across a wicked deal at my local wholesale sports ($109) and picked one up, first hole drilled and punched through like a dream.
Including the parts I used and replaced in the tuneup the purchase of the auger and the bit I am into this unit for $500. It runs like a top, drills like a dream and I also have three sets of new blades now.

I am happy that I can now enjoy the drilling that I expected and was jelous about that all you guys were able to experience.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the old bit let me know!!

Cheers
Mike

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #103 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out! Congrats, you now have a wicked auger for about half the price of new.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Mar 01, 2012, 03:45 PM »
I'd definitely call that one a score!

Funny I was just going through my Camera and downloading pics I took when I trimed the limiter tabs and enlarged the muffler exit port on mine. 

I do think if I had it to do over I would leave the muffler stock.  In fact I might just order a new one so I can make a direct comparison.

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Mar 07, 2012, 02:28 PM »
How do you guys keep your auger while fishing ive noticed that on a near full tank if I lay my auger on its side handles down it will leak some gas out of the breather port? While I am not a big fan of storing an auger in a half drilled hole I know this would eliminate this.
Anyone else have this issue....also keep in mind I have a 225Ai25 gas cap is on the top.

I just never fill it! Half a tank tops and never leaks! Even bouncing around on the front of my ATV! ;)

Offline saskfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Mar 08, 2012, 06:28 PM »
How do you guys keep your auger while fishing ive noticed that on a near full tank if I lay my auger on its side handles down it will leak some gas out of the breather port? While I am not a big fan of storing an auger in a half drilled hole I know this would eliminate this.
Anyone else have this issue....also keep in mind I have a 225Ai25 gas cap is on the top.
just drill a hole 3 or 4'' in the ice. I do that all the time, it works well and you never have the problem of it falling over and breaking the plastic. My buddy leaned his strikemaster up against his truck and now he a broken handle. It may take a few extra seconds but you won't have broken parts in the end.

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Mar 31, 2012, 11:45 AM »

My 225AI25 had this issue as well, I replaced the cap (part # 196 503 82 80-04, about $15) and no more leaks.  I left the auger with a full tank laying on its side all night, and the paper towel I placed under it showed not a drop of gas leaked.  Easy fix!  Good Luck!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #108 on: Apr 11, 2012, 02:35 PM »
How is everybody storing their husky's for the summer?

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #109 on: Apr 12, 2012, 10:15 AM »
I'm going to run ASPEN fuel through it first, (fuel that wont go bad)  then bead-blast the plug,  put a bit of 2 stroke oil down the hole.  put a touch of oil on the blades, and I'm done

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jun 06, 2012, 08:55 AM »
I don't normally fog mine, but I have some fogging oil here and this thread motivated me.  I just took off the air cleaner and shot some in while running.  I spritzed it so it stayed running then shot it to kill it.  Put it back together and put in the garage behind the boat.

I also topped up the fuel tank with Sta-bil treated ethanol free gas.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #111 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:45 AM »
I kept stabilized fuel in mine and ran it once a month this summer.. still fires up on the second pull every time.

Cant wait to let the husky DO WORK.

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #112 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:26 PM »
just stumbled across this thread , just to let you know that i too had the same problem with the auger biting at the bottom of the hole .. this was after changing blades.. i used the identicle strikemaster blades,(or so i thought)
I went and bought another set of strikemaster ones and the same thing was happening.. went to the dealership
and bought the husky ones and no prob ... is you put the blades side by side there almost identicle , but the angle of the blades is just a touch different...
oh and if you ever have the problem of it sticking at the bottom after that, check that the blade screws are tight ,cause
you'll probably be missing a blade after a few more holes if you don't..

Offline tippycanoe6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Just a note on Husqvarna augers. I was lucky enough to find one in a business shutting the doors in summer of ‘17. Just talked to Normark Rep yesterday looking for flighting. Mary told me they quit manufacturing them 12 years ago. I had the auger into for a tune up the service tech was pretty tickled to see the nearly new condition it was in. He said that Husqvarna was considering to start making again but it would be in the near future. When they went out of production they were at aprrrox $1200 can. They are a very nice auger. Light at 22.4lb with half a tank of fuel. The jiffy30 stealth I have is 12 yrs old from the Brian @ Fishin’hole the head alone is 23.35lbs and flighting is 8”-11lbs 10”-13.75 lbs. Hasqvarna is great on new ice. Haven’t trying to redrill with hasqvarna. Still like the sound of the jiffy on a early morning alone on the ice starting it having it warm up, popping along. Then start drilling and getting in to the next gear sound of freedom. Good luck in finding a Husqvarna , it’s worth the journey.

Offline frozenfoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Nov 15, 2019, 08:53 PM »
I actually have a Husqvarna X-series 326AI25 with the 10” Mora bit I bought new in 2009 and drilled a whopping total of around 25 holes with. I changed jobs and didn’t really have a chance to use it over the last several years.  Super sweet auger when I did use it. I’ve decided to try selling it If anyone is interested.  Pretty much showroom condition. Did someone here say they are Strikemaster blades on it? I thought they looked familiar. Mora owns Strikemaster, so I guess that makes sense.

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #115 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Holy bump. This was originally active 7 years ago!

Never heard of or saw one of these augers, I hope you find the info you are looking for.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.