Author Topic: 1 man flip over shack  (Read 9702 times)

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
1 man flip over shack
« on: Aug 15, 2018, 08:31 AM »
I'm in the market for a 1 man flip over shack for this season. I'm Looking for an affordable one that will fit a larger built person. Just looking for opinions, pros, and cons. Have a few lakes I go to with long walks and are only accessible by foot traffic. This isn't a shack I will use all the time so doesn't have to have a lot of features. I'm leaning towards a shappel  1.5.
Anyone have any feedback on these? Thanks in advance!

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1 man flip over shack
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I had bought the Kenai Pro a couple seasons ago for hand dragging fishing until ice was good enough for the wheeler to pull my big shack. Well I liked the deep tub, it was wider than most but when I had to pull this thing it was like pulling a 55 gallon drum so I traded it off. I ended up buying a Clam Blazer, super light and pulls like a kids sled, the Blazer isn’t as wide but it’s a trade off because I can drag it forever with out any effort. A buddy just got a Clam wide one, he had it set up in his garage, looks wide and light but does not seem like it’s gonna last. Seems like the construction is really cheap. I looked at the Recon before I bought the Blazer, seemed very narrow.
I didn’t look at the Shapel’s so I have no input on them.

I found the less effort/work I put into getting to spots equals more Fishing.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:35 AM »

1 of the guys that fishes with us has a fx150 , let’s just say he’s tough on his equipment and its holding up after several years , lots of room for a larger guy , ,

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Weight wont matter if you're pulling on ice - it'll make a big difference when you're pulling through snow or trails. All of these options have more room than the average 1 man flip. Watch the ice fishing deals thread for them going on sale - the Frabill Recruit was just on sale for less than $250 a few weeks back.

https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/2385/wide1-inferno-flip-style-shelter

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/otter-xt-pro-x-over-cottage/

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/ice-shelters/recruit-1250.html
https://fishingsportshow.com/2015/frabill-new-recruit-ice-fishing-shelter/

http://shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/fish-trap/1-man/legend-xl-thermal.html

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2018, 09:54 AM »
the fx100 is plenty big for larger persons, but if you want more room then the fx200 is the same base tub as the fx150 and same weight so i recommend the fx200 and you can get it in insulated version.

i have some very large friends who use the fx100's. the newest version has beefed up seat support as well. just add a bleacher seat of your liking.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I have an Eskimo Wide one and am very satisfied with it. The seat is great. It's big enough to fish two hole very easily.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Thanks for the great info guys! I will keep my eyes open for some good sale pricing coming up soon.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I have an Eskimo Wide one and am very satisfied with it. The seat is great. It's big enough to fish two hole very easily.
X2!!!  I cut a camera hole "under" my left heal and can easily see and fish 2 more holes in the shanty.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2018, 12:11 PM »
the fx100 is plenty big for larger persons, but if you want more room then the fx200 is the same base tub as the fx150 and same weight so i recommend the fx200 and you can get it in insulated version.

i have some very large friends who use the fx100's. the newest version has beefed up seat support as well. just add a bleacher seat of your liking.

Agree 100%. I originally debated on the fx100 and fx150, and went with the 100 for the weight and price. couple years ago I found a deal on a 150 I couldn't pass up. I liked it for the room but the weight was enough that I stuck with the 100. Ended up buying a fx200 for when I need more room, and sold the 150 for what I paid for it. I'm 6'1 and 250, I'm not saying the 100 is roomy, but I have no problem spending the day in it.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2018, 02:54 PM »
BH2 I have a eskimo sport I found earlier for 35.00 could sell for the same if interested in Madison

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Thanks Old Goat I will consider it, Looks like we are about 4 hours apart tho.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Agree 100%. I originally debated on the fx100 and fx150, and went with the 100 for the weight and price. couple years ago I found a deal on a 150 I couldn't pass up. I liked it for the room but the weight was enough that I stuck with the 100. Ended up buying a fx200 for when I need more room, and sold the 150 for what I paid for it. I'm 6'1 and 250, I'm not saying the 100 is roomy, but I have no problem spending the day in it.

Thanks Graybeard! The FX100 is in the lead right now with me for the same reasons you stated. I have a 2 man flip over now for when I fish with the wife. A light 1 man would be what I'm looking for when its just me I don't need to drag the extra 40 or 50 lbs. around! The FX100 is the lightest and roomiest and pretty cheap also!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:01 AM »
dunhams has best everyday price on the fx100 at around 200$. add their 20% off coupons they offer and your set.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I was in the same boat as you.  I wanted a light sled unit and ended up with the Clam Blazer.  All these sleds are so light that even a small wind gust starts moving the house if you aren't sitting down.  Would be curious which one you decide to go with. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:34 PM »
'Affordable' means something different to everyone.  Since you're looking for something that is affordable, what can you afford?  What is your limit?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:47 PM »
I previously owned the Shappell 1.5 Rover ( now called fx 150 ) , but now own the fx 50 windbreak because I am always on the move and rarely sit anyway. Both are durable and lightweight. I have no complaints about either. I won't however buy anything Clam related...just don't like the direction they've gone. JMO
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:09 PM »
dunhams has best everyday price on the fx100 at around 200$. add their 20% off coupons they offer and your set.

Shanties are excluded from the coupons.  :( :( :(

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:44 PM »
depends who's working. i have used them on sale priced items and they are not supposed to be honored for that.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:53 PM »
X2!!!  I cut a camera hole "under" my left heal and can easily see and fish 2 more holes in the shanty.

Not sure what size you guys are using for holes. I found a 6in auger on a drill to work the best. Fits in the sled, and I can usually get my heater in one corner, the camera in the front middle, camera hole in front right. Then two holes below. With my 3gallon keeper bucket middle back for a pole holder.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2018, 06:51 AM »
'Affordable' means something different to everyone.  Since you're looking for something that is affordable, what can you afford?  What is your limit?
I would say a maximum of $350.00

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:55 AM »
If it is me I would get the FX100i.  Should fit your budget and give you the extra money for the hyfax kit for the bottom and cover.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:41 AM »
If it is me I would get the FX100i.  Should fit your budget and give you the extra money for the hyfax kit for the bottom and cover.
pretty sure that's what Im getting. Now just waiting for sales! Thanks !

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Sportsman's Guide has it for $242.99 for "buyer's club" members. Get a free 30 day buyer's club trial and use code NEWCLUB for 20% off.
Comes to $194.39+ about $20 in shipping.

Use Active Junky cashback for $7.77 in cashback. If you haven't used active Junky before, I can give you my referral link and you'll get an extra $10.

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Hey everyone,
I went with the Ice Runner Explorer, the newer shacks by KMDA. Very light! And at an affordable price, they also offer a 4-pay plan through Sportmansguide.com  if your budget is really tight.
Although I did swap out the sled. And built my own fixed seating (360 swivel swivel hunting chairon a milk crate).
And added 12v light system.
Took the seat off the stand and mounted it to plywood on a hinge to access crate storage.
Still going to add second seat on opposite side to make a two person.
And the great thing is I can pull out either sear if needed.

Hook em
      &
Cook em

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I know some of you had asked to keep you posted on my shack purchase. I had my mind set on the Shapell but found a clam fish trap pro on Craigslist ,bought it last night for $80.00! Only issue is 2 dime size mouse holes in the cover. Otherwise in perfect shape. Thanks for all the info and help! Now I have to get busy tricking it out!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I know some of you had asked to keep you posted on my shack purchase. I had my mind set on the Shapell but found a clam fish trap pro on Craigslist ,bought it last night for $80.00! Only issue is 2 dime size mouse holes in the cover. Otherwise in perfect shape. Thanks for all the info and help! Now I have to get busy tricking it out!

Email clam and they will send you a patch that you can glue and sew on for the mouse holes.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I will do that.

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I was going to tell you my 280lbs 6ft frame fits in an fx100 just fine,  but that price is too good to pass up.

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Updates to my ice Runner build

Hook em
      &
Cook em

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:55 PM »

I've been looking at the Wide one the past two years and heard a lot of good reports on it.  How do you like the seat and is it comfortable all day long?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.