Author Topic: 2016/2017 Lake Louise reports  (Read 20633 times)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2016/2017 Lake Louise reports
« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2016, 08:13 AM »
Nothing wrong with burbot for Thanksgiving.  Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:42 PM »
I would have the burbot for dinner tonight but the wife already pulled a moose tenderloin.  Happy thanksgiving everyone.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2016, 04:05 PM »
I would have the burbot for dinner tonight but the wife already pulled a moose tenderloin.  Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Could have had Alaska Surf & Turf!!!  ;)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Pretty sure it's about 20" now but I forgot my ladle, so what do I know.  Fishing is okay, no pigs but steady action.
Got fuel from the lodge today, Jon said they are there most days if you need anything.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:05 AM »
By now we should have good ice just about anywhere you go.  Glad the heavy snows held off so we could get this good ice.  Thanks for the update.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:04 AM »
By now we should have good ice just about anywhere you go.  Glad the heavy snows held off so we could get this good ice.  Thanks for the update.
Heavy snow has been holding off for years now...wondering when we are going to get a real winter.  It is going to be -30 this next week up there, so ice will be ah makin.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Yup now we just need a bunch of snow to keep the trucks off the ice, but not before I move my shack it's kind of in an overflowy spot.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Yup. -30 certainly is going to keep the snow away Jiggenfrog but as you said......makin ice.  Great idea Akhardwater, get that shack moved out of there and in a prime spot so I can come join ya.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:39 PM »
Been trying to get you up for a couple years now.  Let's pick a good -40 weakend for your first trip you know a little baptism by fire or in this case ice.

Offline AKSweetpete

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If enough time wrong lure becomes right one!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2016, 01:52 AM »
I caught my first laker ever yesterday. 2 of us went and drove out on the ice I think we were near Larson bay.  We each caught 2 fish in 20-30 ft of water. Mine was small to medium, his was a bit larger. I definitely want to go back some day. I will try to post a pic but I don't know how to. We got there just before the cold snap.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:58 PM »
I will be up there this weekend. I'll be camping on the lake in my arctic oven. Feel free to say hi if you see us! :)

I'll post a report on Tuesday
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I will be up there this weekend. I'll be camping on the lake in my arctic oven. Feel free to say hi if you see us! :)

I'll post a report on Tuesday

Looking forward to the report and pictures!

Offline Buckhunterbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on catching whitefish through the ice? I had some success last summer with dry flies, but i've yet to catch one through the ice. What should I be looking for as far as structure, depth, etc. And what jigs are effective in the lake Louise area?

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Ask AKhardwater.  I'm pretty sure he knows. 

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Right now whitefish is more precious than gold so if you can figure out those little buggers let us know.  There's only a certain time of year I'm able to catch them with any regularity and I got skunked last year.  I've tried everything during this time of year and have had no real success.  I mark them all the time when chasing lakers but can't bring myself to fish for them cause lakers take priority.  Maybe setup in shallow water and spear them.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:57 PM »
Has anybody ever tried to go up to the Chatanika river in the fall time and tried to spear them?  I heard there is a personal use spear fishery up there some time in the fall (like sept-october maybe???).  Anyhow, I wonder if that might be a good place to try to stock up with whitefish for bait.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Went up this last weekend, it never got warmed than -20F. We stayed in the Arctic Oven, and fished out of the Vestibule. It worked alright, but in -30F the holes were constantly freezing up. I feel like anything -10F and warmer it would be perfect.

I did lose my auger bit on my 3rd hole. The bolt popped out while drilling and i didn't notice. After I finished the hole, I pulled up the power head with no bit attached. That was an awful feeling. It is currently sitting at the bottom of Lake Louise lol.

We managed only 1 laker, 27". We marked quite a bit, but never could get them to strike. We were using Jigs and herring for the most part. Not having an auger really limited us, but we managed to stay warm and fish next to a wood stove haha.

As far as whitefish are concerned, Ive heard from people who catch whitefish that just putting an egg or piece of shrimp on a small pole on a JawJacker or something is how to catch them. I will say though, I have done that almost everytime I have gone out, and never got one......

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:39 PM »
sorry to hear about the auger bit! had that same thing almost happen to use with the auger bit.  Now we just throw a piece of electrical tape around the bolt.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Did you guys run into any overflow I'd imagine with those temps that crap will start poping up.  Also has there been any new snow.  Sorry to hear about your bit that really sucks.  If you know exactly where it is you might be able to get it back with a high strength magnet.  I've had the bolt pop out on me before to and like kwack said a piece of electrical tape works wonders. 

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:37 PM »
I'm also interested in current overflow conditions out there. An aquaview or any type of underwater camera could help with locating and recovering your auger blade. Use heavy line or thin rope and don't use a rod to try and reel it up. Don't ask how I know such things...

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:20 PM »
We need snow to have overflow and we have a complete lack of it so I would be shocked to see any overflow.  With the cold snap it should be locked up tight with good going.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2016, 02:37 PM »
There was no overflow anywhere that I saw. Only 6" of snow maybe. I didn't cruise around the lake much due to the extreme cold.

I have thought about doing the heavy magnet technique. I know exactly where it is at. And it is standing straight up and down on the bottom. I dropped my camera down to look at it. I have a guy who is going to sell me a 10" bit so I can fish in the meantime, but I think I am going to try to get it back this winter :)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2016, 05:36 PM »
I would for sure.  How much water?  Punch four holes and chip out to make one big hole and you should have no problem getting it back.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:54 PM »
The magnet has been purchased on Amazon. Next time I head out (probably right after New Years) I am going to try to get it. This is a super strong magnet, so I am optimistic. I will post that update on here as well :)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Looks like it's going to be an amazing weekend to ring in the New Year out there.  Anyone have a recent snow and ice report?

Don't forget your new license if you head out this weekend.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2016, 11:33 PM »
On the lake now 19" of ice or so. Probably 8 inch of snow.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline wesak81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Spent December 16-18TH OF December on crosswinds lake, rode in from lake louise,  a buddy and I did very well on lakers and burbot, we lost count on how many fish we caught and released, lots of fish between 22-28 inch and few that were around 12-14 pounds,  the trail was rough and slow going but well worth it,   ice was 15 inches thick we were surprised,   met bushwhack jack on the way out, cool dude, nice meeting you man,     fish on!! :tipup: @)
NOTHING IS BETTER THEN BEING ON THE WATER

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Spent December 16-18TH OF December on crosswinds lake, rode in from lake louise,  a buddy and I did very well on lakers and burbot, we lost count on how many fish we caught and released, lots of fish between 22-28 inch and few that were around 12-14 pounds,  the trail was rough and slow going but well worth it,   ice was 15 inches thick we were surprised,   met bushwhack jack on the way out, cool dude, nice meeting you man,     fish on!! :tipup: @)

Nice meeting you too man.  And thanks again for helping me out in a bind.  You guys definitely did pretty good.  Those were some hogs you caught.  Stop by some time and have some coffee some time if you ever come out my way.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Looks like they might be finally putting the trail in.  The wife and I will be heading up fri for a weekend of fun so if anyone is over on Susitna we will be having a big bonfire and hopefully some fireworks. 

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I will be heading up for a day trip Monday. The wife wants to do some fireworks with the family on Memory lake New years Eve so it will have to be a day trip. I don't know if I will make it to Susitna the the chain case on the snow machine might have a problem form the trip to Crosswinds,there is a lot of vibration coming from the track. I am hopeful that it is just ice build.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.