New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay  (Read 38829 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sodus Bay
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:57 AM »
OH Poncho.... hahahaha..... OH Cisco.... hohohohoho :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:26 AM »
I looked in my fish guide book.  It says if the lower jaw extends farther out than the upper jaw it is a cisco, not a whitefish.  So, agreed, it's a cisco.  Boggey, you are dating us old farts.  The Cisco Kid:

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:00 AM »
Yo Jperch,

Ah ! the marvels of technology eh?  This species is also called a fresh water herring. In the fall, have caught them in the dozens off Cherry island. They show up on your flashers as a dart. Bam.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #93 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:51 AM »
cisco is the last 5 letters in my long last name in that order...
But I look more like Poncho....      ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Very Nice, Jackie Bushman.  Have to agree with the Cisco ID.   
2015 on Irondequiot bay I was catching 6-7" round whitefish (had to google search what they were). Found out they had been stocked in 2012, from Chaumont Bay stock. Maybe we get to the see the growth rates this year.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Nice Cisco! There is an ongoing cisco stocking effort underway. Historically, they used to be very common throughout the Great Lakes.  :tipup:

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Maybe, It's Cisco stocking? Or true lake Whitefish?  The fish I was catching had no parr markings (round should have? ) but small down turnered mouth,dime bright skin,heavy forked tail just like a whitefish (no teeth) not a smelt. There was stocking, just knot sure what? The fish I saw were not Ciscos. my 2 cents.

Offline reeltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:10 PM »
they have been stocking cisco for several years in sodus bay.  they also set nets in the bay every fall for the sole purpose of catching cisco to study them.

they are trying to reestablish a self sustaining population so they will become the primary food source for trout and salmon because they retain ( I believe) thiamine and vitamin B which alwives do not retain.  Its been a few years since i helped with the stocking and they were telling me the info about the cisco.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #98 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:30 AM »

Great info reeltime thanks

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:02 AM »
Alewives contain high amounts of thiaminase - which breaks down thiamine in lake trout eggs. Thiamine is needed for developing fry.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:57 PM »
they have been stocking cisco for several years in sodus bay.  they also set nets in the bay every fall for the sole purpose of catching cisco to study them.

they are trying to reestablish a self sustaining population so they will become the primary food source for trout and salmon because they retain ( I believe) thiamine and vitamin B which alwives do not retain.  Its been a few years since i helped with the stocking and they were telling me the info about the cisco.

According to the reports for the Lake Ontario Unit, which can be found on the DEC website, Sodus received 22,109 ciscos in the fall of 2016.  Ciscos stocked prior to that went into Irondequoit Bay as follows: 9000 in 2012, 9000 in 2013, 145000 in 2014, and approximately 90,000 in 2015, with an additional 10,000 released back into Chaumont Bay.  The goal here is to evaluate the reestablishment of native prey populations to create a more resilient preyfish population in the lake.  If the alewife collapses, right now there is nothing out there to fill the "void."   They have also been introducing Bloater chub, another coreginid species; they are stocked off Oswego.   The netting that has been done in Irondequoit bay has been to see if any returned.  No report has been generated yet, maybe at the State of the Lake Meetings this spring.  They do not contain the same levels of thiaminase as alewife; as another reported thiaminase negatively affects thiamin levels in predators, especially Atlantic Salmon and, based on poor returns the last two years after bad winter effects on the alewife, Steelhead.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:00 AM »
I was at maiden lane yesterday and did the normal dink fest with the occasional keeper.  Parking was not too bad and I really did not see anyone block the road so that was cool. I did get checked by the game warden when packing up the gear. Not the friendliest  guy. All business. Make sure you have legal with your license and fish count. He checked very carefully looking for anything over the limit.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:27 AM »
"2015 on Irondequoit bay I was catching 6-7" round whitefish (had to google search what they were). Found out they had been stocked in 2012, from Chaumont Bay stock. Maybe we get to the see the growth rates this year."

The fish you were catching in Irondequoit Bay were ciscos.  Please read my above summary of the DEC reports to date.

According to DEC, round whitefish were last reported from the US side of LO in the 1940's.  There is a population around the Bay of Quinte on the Canadian side that fluctuates from year to year.  Please also remember that round whitefish are an endangered species in NYS, so the Encon Officers will have a real picnic with you if you are catching them and you keep one.  But the Chaumont to Ibay stocking was ciscoes.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:40 AM »
heres a good question...been fishing sodus and doing well on perch, but where can i find some gills or crappies on the bay?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #104 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:43 AM »
never caught a crappie in Sodus Bay or Ibay, just Silver Lake, and Honeoye.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:45 AM »
heres a good question...been fishing sodus and doing well on perch, but where can i find some gills or crappies on the bay?
Try the South end  ;) ;D
ice fishing rules

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I was at maiden lane yesterday and did the normal dink fest with the occasional keeper.  Parking was not too bad and I really did not see anyone block the road so that was cool. I did get checked by the game warden when packing up the gear. Not the friendliest  guy. All business. Make sure you have legal with your license and fish count. He checked very carefully looking for anything over the limit.
Far from a dink fest for me yesterday at Maiden Lane ................you might want to get away from the crowd and up size your bait  ;)
ice fishing rules

Offline wnyicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Might be trying the bay this weekend. Do you think it's worth it to bring tip downs or has fishing been good enough jigging not to bother setting them up and  chasing them

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Fished yesterday and ran into my old bud Perry T at the loop and we both trekked far from the maddening crowd. Ended up with a limit of jumbos for my grand son Eric and me. I'm sure Perry t did the same as every once in awhile I heard a "Yahoo" coming from his Flip ;D ;D.  It was nice fishing with my old bud again. 

Boggey

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #109 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:24 PM »
As was said...south end...walk from davenports and stay on east side....try near weeds 7-10fow

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #110 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:49 PM »
also posted in the reports section, just cross posting it here as well.

Folks,

I am not singling ice shanty folks out here, just trying to get the word out there before these things become a real issue and access gets shut down, and please spread the word or give a gentle reminder if you see someone parking where they shouldn't be.

specifically the area of Maiden lane in the point. 

Parking along the road, folks need to use common sense when parking, the complaints are piling up and if folks continue the way they are parking the entire area is going to get shut down for parking on the street.

there should be no parking on both sides of the street anywhere west of maiden lane, today there were trucks parked on both sides of the road, 1 small truck on 1 side of the road and directly across from it a full size truck the road was choked down to barely 1 lane of travel.

The issue is going to be emergency vehicle response with folks parking on the road impeding travel as well as the issue of DOT plow trucks not being able to get through.  There is also the issue of peoples mailboxes being blocked, people DO live in those houses and would like to get their mail delivered.

There is lots of public parking up by the ball field and hots point, YES its a walk, but if parking continues as it has the last week or so that is where everyone will have to park.   drop off gear at maiden lane go up to the public parking and walk back, if things continue this will be the only option.

second issue is the trash,  just putting it out there, we all know the 2 biggest reasons for loosing access is parking and leaving trash behind.  we picked up trash off maiden lane yesterday as well as every other day I fished, folks shouldn't have to pick up other peoples trash.

well you just made the parking worse because you advertised where everyone is going .....just saying

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:24 PM »
According to the reports for the Lake Ontario Unit, which can be found on the DEC website, Sodus received 22,109 ciscos in the fall of 2016...  The goal here is to evaluate the reestablishment of native prey populations to create a more resilient preyfish population in the lake.

Great info reeltime and Lucky13, you are absolutely correct. I'm a biologist with the USGS/DEC/FWS/Cornell group working on cisco restoration in Lake Ontario. We are always interested to hear from folks who are catching cisco, both in LO and inland lakes. If you get one, please share! There's a thread about it in the main forum.

We've heard from several people who have caught cisco in Sodus this year, as well as Port Bay.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Saw some sleds out yesterday and checked with some friends that saw sleds and atv's out of third creek. I took a look at third and did see tracks leading out. If you decide to take a machine out of there, it would be better to stay to the right of the creek a good distance before you cut back towards the middle.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:36 PM »

hey trap,that quote you highlighted and commented on was from 2 pages ago and didnt need to be brought up again,you obviously like throwing your "2 cents in "
where not needed and stirring s%%t up!
JUST SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:49 PM »
everybody already knew where the hot spot was. channel 10 was out there. not an issue if people just learn how to park
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Amen

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Hey guys where can I get on the ice with my wheeler? Can I get on at the boat launch off 14?
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline reeltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:35 PM »
well you just made the parking worse because you advertised where everyone is going .....just saying

yeah I'm sure my note caused all the problems,  There were pics posted including a map with a big red circle 2 or 3 days prior, and as noted channel 10 news was there and had the story of perch fishing on the 5,530,6,7 and 11 o'clock news.

the issues there had ALREADY escalated,  there were already parking issues, there were already trash issues,  there had already been all kinds of spot burning posts for days and weeks prior to my posting a note to try and HELP people avoid parking tickets, being towed or vehicles vandalized.

But if blaming me for all the parking issues makes you feel better have at it captain happy.   

So I guess everyone can contact you to see where the best place to park is.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:05 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #119 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:06 PM »
everybody already knew where the hot spot was. channel 10 was out there. not an issue if people just learn how to park

we could do a shuttle bus in different fishing spots and become rich  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.