The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: FishDonkey Tournament  (Read 1691 times)

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
FishDonkey Tournament
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Hello everybody.
Just gauging interest in an online tournament since the official Ice Shanty one is no longer active. Would be using a free App called FishDonkey that would make life much easier on the host/director than the old format. Would like to make it open boundary to any PUBLIC WATER in NY or PA. Still making decision on entry fee, this is where your interest and comments are important.
Will probably be 4 categories: Panfish (Total Length of 5 fish), Bass, Walleye, Esox (Pike, Musky, Pickerel).
Rules would look like something below:
- This is not a team event, individuals only.
- All fish entered in the tournament will be photographed, measured, recorded with the FishDonkey app. Measurements must be done on a measuring board(hog trough or similar) , tape measures will not count except in cases where fish is too long for a ruler.
-All fish entered MUST be caught on public waters, no private ponds unless they are open to public access.
Only Ice Shanty members will be allowed to join, so please leave a comment here or message me if you are interested.
If there is interest I will finalize the tournament and people can start signing up.
FishDonkey can be found online here: https://www.fishdonkey.com/
Thank you.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: FishDonkey Tournament
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:56 AM »
Sounds great. Except I don't have a smart phone. Would I be able to use my pc at home ?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Might be interested if there is a trout category...……………………………..
Where's the FISH?!

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Would be great but we're missing one minor ingredient. Ice....

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Would be great but we're missing one minor ingredient. Ice....

NAILED IT!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:29 PM »
I could be interested if we lived in a different state, but ice fluctuates a lot through PA.  Guys who live 3 hours north will likely have a couple weeks more fishing time than us in Blair County.  Plus I only fish for panfish.  I like the idea in general, but it would have to be real cheap to coax me into it.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Does it rely solely on the honor system?

For example-
  if you say that you caught it in public waters is that good enough?
If you say you caught that fish you are entering and not one of your buddies  is that good enough ?

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Does it rely solely on the honor system?

For example-
  if you say that you caught it in public waters is that good enough?
If you say you caught that fish you are entering and not one of your buddies  is that good enough ?

Good questions!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2020, 03:21 PM »
I'm thinking that I already know the answers to my questions.🤔

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:41 AM »
A very open online tournament like this allows a lot of room for cheating. Because the iceshanty tourney was free, had very small competition prizes, and larger random drawing prizes, there wasnt much reason to cheat. If you require a fee, I think the random draw prizes would be a good incentive, since it's super easy for 2 or 3 guys to team up and submit there top 5 panfish as 1 person and split a large cash/gift card prize. Just my opinion. I also agree that the northern guys get a lot more ice, so it'd have to be a pretty cheap buy in to convince people state wide. I'm definitely interested though!

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:29 PM »
I don't know if it was fish donkey, but one of our local bait shops had some "smart phone" tournaments last summer.  At least one  person that consistently  placed --  well--- let's just say that person was always looking for someone  to go fishing while the tourney was on.
Was that an isolated incident?  Not for me to say , but I don't think I would pay money to enter a tourney like that.  If it was just a friendly game, then maybe.

But for the folks that do like the smart phone tourneys  - go for it !  There are advantages to it. Like the ability to catch and release

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:34 AM »
It's simply amazing what people will do when prizes are involved!  ::)  I participated for a few years on the "other" ice-fishing site's tourney. It was fun to try to catch some big fish for the tourney and see if they would place, and if you did you got something decent for it. Some of the first place prizes were really nice like an auger or flasher. Then I started noticing one individual kept winning the Trout and Walleye categories(including Lake Trout) year after year. I got curious as to where he was fishing getting Trout, Walleye and especially Lake Trout in NEPA, but he was very "tight lipped" about it.  Turns out he worked at one of the Exclusive Private Hunting and Fishing Clubs in the area that has their own hatchery(and deep lakes with access to great Rainbows, Browns, Walleye and Lake Trout). He got a little annoyed when I did some asking around and finally put 2 and 2 together and called him out on it.(apparently he didn't want his boss to know what he was doing) "Technically" he wasn't breaking the rules of the tourney since both private and public waters were open. But a LOT of us thought it was crossing the line ethically, especially since he was winning all the prizes(1st, 2nd and 3rd) in several categories! After a few years, they actually changed the rules because of this and you could only win 1 place in each category(instead of sweeping the prizes).

So even if rules are not broken, sometimes people will still find ways to be unfair or un-ethical. Just the way things are these days, unfortunately!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Chute82

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Anytime money or prizes are involved it will bring out the worst in some. 

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:31 PM »
These stories are why I liked the iceshanty tourney with awesome random draw prizes from the "shorts" category

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:03 PM »
I think any of these tournament can bring out the worst in some folks.  Not in all the folks, but some.
 That's enough for me to  just shy away from the competetive side of fishing. A lot of people like to compete and that's ok.  I just like to go out and fish. 

I'm not sure I get the concept of it, anyway.  You fish all day, you weigh in 5 or 6 panfish and if your handful weighs a few ounces more than the next guys then you are the winner.    Every one knows the rules up front, so that's not an issue, but how is fishing all day long for a half dozen panfish a good days fishing ?   It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.