Author Topic: Winchester lake  (Read 1873 times)

Offline icefishingbob

• IceShanty Rookie
Winchester lake
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Has the fishing improved?

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Winchester lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Haven't been since it slowed WAYYYYYY down earlier, I'll have a report for it on Monday though, I think I'll go down there one more time before term starts again.  Then if it picks up, i'll have to battle fish day dreams all week.

Offline icefishingbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:29 PM »
look forward to hearing from you. I am planning on going on Wed.  Thanks

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Just got back, fishing was horrible again for panfish, trout were active but the rest won't take a jig or bait no matter what you do.

Ice was 7" of good ice covered with 3" of garbage, just cold enough to freeze the top but not enough to make it solid, the ice is soft but definitely strong, this should stay strong for awhile even with pretty high temps, I didn't find a spot with less ice.

I went by the boat launch, got out late in the day, started fishing probably around 2:00 PM.  Moved up and down the slough and to the mouth, caught a trout pretty much in every hole, ended with 5 trout from 14" to 10".  I was using a size 12 bobber fry neon red with a straight trailer glow wedgee (Custom Jigs and Spins), tipped with a spike (maggot).  Trout were either at 5 feet below the ice or coming off of the bottom to intercept the jig on the fall, I was jigging a 1 second count up and 2 second fall for about 2 feet resting the jig at 3 feet above the bottom each pull.

I stayed for about a half hour after dark, crappie moved into the mouth of the boat launch right at dark, I got one 8" with a superglow buckshot spoon tipped with spikes.  I was jigging that aggressively with a 3" pull each time to get the rattle to start, glow or not didn't really seem to matter, I just got lucky on the one crappie he followed I stopped moved it up again and he hit, the rest couldn't care less about what I threw at them.

I tried everything in the arsenal, tipped jigs, jigs with trailers, jigs with maggots, jigs with emerald shinerheads, buckshot with shinner head, buckshot with maggots, and everything in between, nothing got them interested.  The buckshot rattle did seem to get them more interested and brought them to the hole at least.

If you still go I hope you find some aggressive ones!

Offline icefishingbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Thanks a lot we will be going wed. went to springV today and caught limit trout on sparkly salm. eggs. really windy and cold. Ice had slush on top but still about 7" solid, suppose to cool down so slush should freeze up. Also hear khokini running well at the dam on Dvorsak, might take the boat and give it a try. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Thanks a lot we will be going wed. went to springV today and caught limit trout on sparkly salm. eggs. really windy and cold. Ice had slush on top but still about 7" solid, suppose to cool down so slush should freeze up. Also hear khokini running well at the dam on Dvorsak, might take the boat and give it a try. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Awww man, now i'm gonna have to take the tarp off the boat!

Offline icefishingbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Went today with 2 other Icers. We were their about 7 hours. I caught three nice trout and 2 nice bluegill. Would have caught more gill but had to leave. Found a good spot past the walk over bridge. First time at Winchester. They are having the tournament next week and if it was anything like today it is going to be tough. Their were 4 other teams out their and most caught only 2 trout. Two other guys got some gills (12). I like these trout because the meet is redder than other places I've fished. Will be going to Elk next week will let you know how that goes.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Nice, at least you guys got into some gills, that finger is always pretty good to me with trout anyways.  I love how the trout are so active out there, a lot of fun on the flasher.

I'll probably be out there this weekend to try it out again.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Fishing was better today for me than in the past few weeks. Still not great but caught enough bluegill and crappie to have fish tacos with the family!

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Great news! I'm taking a few first timers out there tomorrow! I was hoping we would start seeing some active fish for them, so they don't think i'm a chump!

How was the ice, still staying the same?

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:02 PM »
fishing was much better today wound up with a bucketful. Mixed bag mostly bluegills ,crappie,catfish,largemouth,perch. Steady bite until the sun came up then had to move around to stay in the shade.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:46 AM »
Nice to meet ya today Casey, we moved around quite a bit and never really hit on the fish, I think being there in the morning was the key for sure.

Check out this monster I got when we first got there!

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:08 PM »
oh jeezes I didn't realize fowl_language was Mr. Elliot the TA from limnology. See you at the tourney.

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:10 PM »
 Good tournament this weekend! I took a unofficial 5th place and my buddy took second place, only missing first by 2oz. We slaughtered the trout with the three of us catching 18 by 2pm plus one bass on Saturday. Biggest trout 19.5in, but the rest 10-12in but fat! A few people got into a bucket of perch about 50 yards SW from the aerator in the center of the lake.

Most trout running 4-10ft under the ice and biting on red jigs/spoons and minnow jog imitations but we also caught a couple jigging off the bottom.  We fished  at the mouth of the far east bay from 10-30yards from the south shore. Filleted all the trout and only one wasn't a bright red fillet. Tasted awesome!

Good 10in+ of ice.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:22 AM »
oh jeezes I didn't realize fowl_language was Mr. Elliot the TA from limnology. See you at the tourney.

Ut'oh my cover's blown.

I went down to Cascade for the Hardwater Classic this year.  I really wish they would stagger these derbys so I could get a shot at fishing both of them.  Good thing the fish turned on finally! Glad it went well, wish I could've been there that's always a good time.

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Ut'oh my cover's blown.

I went down to Cascade for the Hardwater Classic this year.  I really wish they would stagger these derbys so I could get a shot at fishing both of them.  Good thing the fish turned on finally! Glad it went well, wish I could've been there that's always a good time.

yeah poor planning.  I don't know if you remember Wesley Field (bearded round guy from 2 years back limno) but he's the one who took 2nd.  Do you know if there is a elk river touney this year?

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:39 PM »
yeah poor planning.
Hey man...I'm an open book.  How do you know I didn't want you to find out?!?!

Of course I remember you guys, I was at Winchester last year for the derby too, you did the same thing last year.

Not sure about Elk River usually they post up all the derby's on the event list.

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Hey man...I'm an open book.  How do you know I didn't want you to find out?!?!

I meant on their part, last year they planned it on the elk river tourney day

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Ahhhhh yup, then I agree for sure.  I think it's great they are even planning them and organizing them, there's only a few people that really want to fish all of them, so really whenever the organizers have the time is better than nothing.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Fished Winchester today  17 bluegill  8 crappie 1 perch kept ice 10"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.