Author Topic: Jig rod suggestions  (Read 37310 times)

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jig rod suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:14 PM »
You can never have "enough" ice fishing stuff. Just don't tell the wife.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:26 PM »
You can never have "enough" ice fishing stuff. Just don't tell the wife.

She seems to have a 6th sense though..... LOL
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Ok, time for update #3.

I have successfully caught fish on all 5 of my jig rods. Some I really like the way they feel, and some I havent figured out their calling quite yet. Im still a jigging rookie, but Im figuring out some stuff every trip out on the ice.

Ive come to the conclusion that the 6lb Fireline Fused Micro Ice is not for me at this time in my limited jigging experience. It is way too heavy and stiff and ice clings to it badly. Its like dental floss on steroids. Maybe I'll just use it for a backer line with an actual leader of 3-4lb test flouro. It would be great for toothy critters though...

I really like the 27" HT Polar Lite M-L rod. It is VERY sensitive in the tip, and works very good for 1/64th jigs. It has plenty of backbone throughout the rest of the rod for landing fish too. Best of all, it was cheap at Wally World. I spooled it with ASSO Heavy Ice flouro 2lb test in brown color, and wow! Im very impressed with the ASSO line. Its the best line Ive tried by far. Thank you to those that suggested it on various other threads. Im very glad I took your advice.

I also like the 27" South Bend Alpine light action graphite rod. It is a little stiffer than the Polar light, but still has enough sensitivity to feel the light "ticks" on the jig when a fish taps it. I spooled some 3lb Sunline Ice mono in dark smoke color on this rod, and the line seems pretty good. It will more than likely be sporting some 2lb ASSO next winter though.

The 28" HT Arctic Bay QX light carbon seems pretty stiff to me. Probably a bad buy, but hey. Im sure I'll find the right use for this rod at some point, but it seems good for 5mm Fiskas jigs to me. Maybe this will be my tungsten jig rod? Im using Trilene Micro Ice 3lb in cold steel color on this. This line also seems to get the little ice "dingleberries" growing on it after awhile. Im sure this is common with many lines, but I had higher hopes for the results. Still, I do like the setup for slightly heavier jigs. I just have to keep experimenting with it.

The 26" Frabill Amplifier light carbon seems kind of stiff too. Again with the carbon feeling stiff... Is this a normal conclusion? Im very impressed with the rubber discs in the rod handle though. It really does "amplify" the hits alot. I have to think this rod can handle bigger fish with ease though. I jigged my first fish on this rod, so I have a soft spot for it.  Ive got Trilene Micro Ice 2lb test in cold steel color spooled on this one. 1/64th oz jigs seem kind of light for this set-up. Ive had better results with 4mm Fiskas on this. Maybe 1/16th oz jigs would be fine too. Gotta swap out the line onto another reel.... Dunno yet, Im getting sick of tying line I can barely see without my glasses. LOL

The Genz Power Stick reel is a complete piece of garbage reel. Junk....

I love jigging soft plastics and I really like the mini Wedgies for their incredible action. I have some tungsten jigs with fly feathers too, and they seem to be very productive for perch.

I think flourocarbon is the right line for me. (a rookie) Its very user freindly for those just learning the finer points of jigging tiny jigs. It has half the coils of most line Ive tried.

Unfortunately, I also found out I need at least 10 rods to cover my bases out there. Sooooo, I need to find a way to outsmart wifey.

Oh yeah, I bought a Clam Ice Armor jig box that I really like. Its pretty small, (4.5 x 3 x 1.5 closed) but it fits a bunch of stuff in there. I would highly recommend one if someone was looking at one.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:47 PM »
There's also a huge variety of flourocarbon line just like your typical copolymer/mono lines.  What's great in one flourocarbon line may be terrible from another brand.  Flourocarbon lines also take less to shock strength.  You don't need the over emphasized TV hookset.  A slightly slower or shorter hook set is fine with them. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bob.

Yeah, those tv guys really sell the hookset like they were in a Diehard movie. LOL

Im still pondering grabbing some Pline florice, but Ive heard it flakes and wears out fairly quick. My rods are out of sunlight in a HT rod locker, so maybe the key is to keep the light away as much as possible.

Any suggestions as to some good floro?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Pline Floroice is pretty good line.  I'm on third season with my 3# line.  I had to ditch the 2# line within one month of use.  I still like the few ASSO flourocarbon lines I've used better overall. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:14 PM »
The ASSO Heavy Ice is really easy to fish with, Im going to stock up over the summer.

I will also grab some Pline too, because I plan on getting a few new rods before next winter too.

I may even give Berkley Vanish a try also.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Well Im back again, and I figure I might as well just use this thread again instead of creating another one to ask questions. I'll just keep updating this as I learn as I go, like a knowledge reference base for myself and others. Its a heck of alot easier for me to go back and research the great info given by helpful anglers if its on one thread, kinda like a personal jigging journey if you will. Im sure I'll have a bunch more questions later on too.... so please bear with me in this journey if I get annoying. LOL

Ok, Im looking at getting an HT Ice Blue "Super Flex" rod and would like some input. I was wondering if the 30" would be better than the 24" for pannies/perch/brook trout. Is the more compact size of the 24" less "noodley" than the 30", or are they about the same? Are these rods real noodley throughout the shaft? The 24" could be better suited as an "in shack" rod where space is tight though. If it came down to you buying the 24" or 30", which one would you choose and why?

I was also looking at the HT Ice Blue "Jig Stick", but it seems to be described as a much less sensitive rod with more backbone for larger fish. Probably not what I need at this time because I have other rods that fit that bill.

Then theres the Ice Blue "Pro" rod, which seems to have (basicly) the same blanks as the Super Flex but with a cork handle and different guides. The 26" UL Pro looks like a good option in these, but right now Im going to concentrate on getting a Super Flex for the time being.

As always, thanks for any replies to my questions.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Anybody out there?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Might as well add a pic here too. LOL

Heres my lineup so far....

From bottom to top,

25" Fenwick Elite Tech UL with Pfleuger 6720

27" HT Polarlite L/M with Accucast ACR 104A

27" South Bend Alpine L with Accucast ACR 104A (older gunmetal version w/out holes in spool)

26" Frabil Amplifier L with Accucast ACR 104A

28" HT Arctic Bay QX L with Accucast ACR 104A

27" Rhino Indestructable M with Genz Powerstick reel

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2011, 06:23 PM »
How deep of water are you fishing?. If less than 20ft you are missing out by not using a fly reel.
It stops the jig spin a gets you more bites faster.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2011, 07:58 PM »
How deep of water are you fishing?. If less than 20ft you are missing out by not using a fly reel.
It stops the jig spin a gets you more bites faster.JMO.

Hey WT.

Im usually fishing 4 to 30 feet, but usually under 15 feet most of the time.

I dont see my jig spin when Im watching it go down the hole, it basicly "swims" down. Im not a fan of fly reels, so I dont think they would be for me.

Any opinion on the Ice Blue rods?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 11, 2011, 12:53 AM »
Picked up a 26" HT Cysco UL and put my spare President 6720 on it. Not too shabby of a set up in my opinion.

The Cysco UL felt alot like the Ice Blue in terms of action to me, but it has bigger standard guides so I picked the Cysco instead. Im probably going to get an Ice Blue later on though too.

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Picked up a 26" HT Cysco UL and put my spare President 6720 on it. Not too shabby of a set up in my opinion.

The Cysco UL felt alot like the Ice Blue in terms of action to me, but it has bigger standard guides so I picked the Cysco instead. Im probably going to get an Ice Blue later on though too.

enlighten me about these rods? never seen or heard of them
USE A BOBBER!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:04 PM »
enlighten me about these rods? never seen or heard of them

Well they're made by HT, they were out last year but I never did get one then. They seem almost the same as the Ice Blues, but have bigger guides and have a red corkalon handle. Theres blue corkalon on the Ice Blues. The blank is white-to-red fade in color with red wrappings, and has a bright orange tip like the Blues. If I remember correctly, the blank is made of "composite materials" like the Blues too. (gotta re-check that though)

It was $15 at Wally World with a junky reel on it. The Ice Blue was $17 with a junky reel. I like the guides on the Cysco better than the Blues, and its got damn near the same feel to the action to me.

This is the picture from the HT website. Same combo I got at Wally World, I just chucked the reel and put on my President.

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:21 PM »
thanks. i have the ice blue ultralight for my pannie fishing and love it. that does look like it has about the same sensitivity at the ice blue would have. i have a little quantum on mine, great little setup! definitly looking into expanding my jigging horizzons though, will look into the cysco rods. thanks  :tipup:
USE A BOBBER!

Offline gillcraze

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drill em n kill em
« Reply #46 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:25 PM »
28" ul is my panfish rod
drill em n kill em

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:46 PM »
thanks. i have the ice blue ultralight for my pannie fishing and love it. that does look like it has about the same sensitivity at the ice blue would have. i have a little quantum on mine, great little setup! definitly looking into expanding my jigging horizzons though, will look into the cysco rods. thanks  :tipup:

Yeah I had the Cysco in one hand and the Ice Blue in the other, and they felt almost exactly the same. (noodle-wise) I think it will be a great panny rod!

I'll slap the red reel on another rod for the grandson, he could use some more gear too. LOL

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Yeah I had the Cysco in one hand and the Ice Blue in the other, and they felt almost exactly the same. (noodle-wise) I think it will be a great panny rod!

I'll slap the red reel on another rod for the grandson, he could use some more gear too. LOL

never too young too start compiling the gear!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:17 PM »
never too young too start compiling the gear!

True, true. LOL

By the time hes 10 in 2 years he should have quite a pile of fishing gear.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Also, to describe the action of the Cysco UL, it flexes MORE than my Fenwick Elite Tech 25" UL seen in the pic below. I used the same toenail clippers on both rods and the Cysco has more bend. Its pretty damn soft!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Okay, just for S&G here is the 26" Cysco UL flex shot using the industry standard toenail clippers again. Heh

The angle Im holding the rod is slightly different, and theres a 1/64th jig on the line too, but its a decent visual comparison.  The Cysco appears to have a slightly faster tip than the 25" Fenwick UL, and has more of a "noodle" feel.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I just ordered a Jason Mitchell Elite Series MEAT STICK ROD 24" med action.
I like the longer light action rods my self but bought this for fishing with the flasher.
That thing is awesome the tip is super sensitive but has great back bone.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:54 AM »
I just ordered a Jason Mitchell Elite Series MEAT STICK ROD 24" med action.
I like the longer light action rods my self but bought this for fishing with the flasher.
That thing is awesome the tip is super sensitive but has great back bone.

I was seriously debating on getting a Meatstick , but I really hate the taping-on-the-reel deal.

I was thinking of getting those rubber band reel fasteners, but I cant remember what they are actually called....

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Your thinking of shrink tubing it works but does not hold up well.
I love this stuff:
Frabill Specialized ReelTape is specially designed for attaching reels to ice fishing rods that have eva foam and cork grips. This tape bonds only to itself and will not damage the rod grip. This reel tape adds comfort to the grip and is anti-slip when wet. Frabill Specialized Reel Tape comes in a 60" roll enough to mount 3 to 4 combos and is rated to
-65F.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I was seriously debating on getting a Meatstick , but I really hate the taping-on-the-reel deal.

I was thinking of getting those rubber band reel fasteners, but I cant remember what they are actually called....

Coldsnap reel wraps - type it in google it will get you to the site

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Coldsnap reel wraps - type it in google it will get you to the site

Ahhh there it is!

Thanks!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Your thinking of shrink tubing it works but does not hold up well.
I love this stuff:
Frabill Specialized ReelTape is specially designed for attaching reels to ice fishing rods that have eva foam and cork grips. This tape bonds only to itself and will not damage the rod grip. This reel tape adds comfort to the grip and is anti-slip when wet. Frabill Specialized Reel Tape comes in a 60" roll enough to mount 3 to 4 combos and is rated to
-65F.

Yeah thats probably better, but its still essentially tape at the end of the day, dunno. If I want to swap reels out its probably just as much of a pain.... Im still experimenting/learning the whole jigging thing, so Im still getting my combos figured out.

I like the rubber band idea a little better at this point, but thanks for the info.

Offline phoenix5724

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I know combos are junk (mostly) but when looking at rods in the store how can you tell how it is going to react when fished?  Just shaking it and seeing what the tip does/how it reacts?  I was looking at this thread before and went to look at some HTs but the store only had some that had not been mentioned.  I need something UL for mostly small pan fish with the occasional perch and crappie the size of two crappies.  I was looking at the HT ice blue because it has been mentioned so much, is it a good way to go?  How about reel?  Not sure if I should order something online like from fish usa or should try and find something at the store (as well as let my fiance pick her own instead of gifting her a new rod).  Also I want something with tip response, no spring tip/bobber. Sorry if I high jacked the thread but it seemed my question was somewhat on topic.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 29, 2011, 12:40 AM »
I know combos are junk (mostly) but when looking at rods in the store how can you tell how it is going to react when fished?  Just shaking it and seeing what the tip does/how it reacts?  I was looking at this thread before and went to look at some HTs but the store only had some that had not been mentioned.  I need something UL for mostly small pan fish with the occasional perch and crappie the size of two crappies.  I was looking at the HT ice blue because it has been mentioned so much, is it a good way to go?  How about reel?  Not sure if I should order something online like from fish usa or should try and find something at the store (as well as let my fiance pick her own instead of gifting her a new rod).  Also I want something with tip response, no spring tip/bobber. Sorry if I high jacked the thread but it seemed my question was somewhat on topic.

Im still trying to get my jig rod collection built, but....

Combos are usually lacking in reel quality, but a good way to get a good rod. I just get a good feel of how the rod tip reacts and make a guess as to what its capabilities/uses will be.

The Ice Blues seem to be a popular choice for pannies with alot of folks here, and they arent expensive. (big plus right there)  I dont own one, but I checked out the 24" UL in Wally World. I liked the action and tip, but didnt like the eyelets. The Cysco felt exactly the same but with bigger, standard eyelets so I bought it. I think its going to be a great addition to my collection.

The Fenwick Elite Tech UL feels like a great rod too, cant wait to hit the ice with my 25" UL.

Another very light tipped rod is the HT Polar Lite in L/M. SUPER spring bobber-ish tip with more backbone down the blank like a deadsticking rod, and was like $12 at Wally World last season. Check them out if you can find them. I liked it alot and caught plenty of perch on mine. Cork handle with locking reel seats too.

As for reels, I like the Pflueger Presidents and HT Accucasts. Ive got 4 of the Accucast 104 (4 bearings) and its very close to the Pflueger President 6720 for less than half the cost. I highly recommend the Accucast 104 or 106 for anyone looking for pannies on a budget. Excellent smoothness and drag on either brand though, the reels are VERY similar. The casings are even almost identical. The Accucast 106 (6 bearings) at $20 bucks is a great price. The Presidents are superb reels, but pricey. No complaints with my two Ive got. The new President micro reels are the 6920 model. (used to be 6720)

Ive heard good things about the Tica Cetus reels too, but I havent held one yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.