Author Topic: Need help locating Perch  (Read 4255 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Need help locating Perch
« on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:22 AM »
How do you locate Perch?  All I have is a topo of the local lakes, and not much detail with that.  Im having a miserable year catching ANYTHING. 

Thanks,

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need help locating Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:41 AM »
where in ny are you?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Dutchess county, by Ct. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:57 PM »
i usually find them in the shallow around weeds but that being said in a few of our lakes they are really deep like 60 ft. but usually shallower.jig jig jig

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Today was out on a lake catching perch in many different areas... lake is pretty much a bowl that drops to 10 - 20 ft deep 10 - 20 ft. from shore and then more gradually down to 90 ft deep.  We were catching alot of perch in the 6 - 7 inch range... where would the big boys be hiding out at?

Offline xeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Half the fun in fishing is finding them. Just spend more time out there always trying new spots and you might get luckey. Just dont be bummed out that you didnt catch the monster.

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:41 PM »
If you are just using a topo map, then look for drop offs to start with.  Drill a line of holes from shallow into deep water.  Maybe 10 holes, 20 feet apart.  Fish each hole for 5-10 minutes until you get hits.  I am currently fishing in 40-70 feet of water at all times of the day.

I use a colored sonar (and recommend it), and I move constantly until I find fish.  Although perch are considered a schooling fish, I will pick up individual fish with long periods between fish.  On the sonar, you can see single fish come in to the bait, and no bites, then the next one will take. 

If you get in to a school, then they are much more eager to bite.  I have returned to previously fished holes and thought my sonar was broken, only to realize there was sixteen feet of fish flashing on the screen.  When I hit a school, the action is fast with immediate strikes once I reach depth.

Keeping on top of the school is difficult.  Drill 50 yards away in each direction, and see which way the school is heading.  This is, of course, much easier with the sonar.  After that, you may be able to jump ahead of the school, but they will move in a circular pattern, which complicates things.

In short, whether using a map or a sonar, be mobile.  If the fish quit biting or aren't biting, move. 

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Great info above. I would add that underwater cams help in addition to sonar. Viewed many perch this winter & almost always was into a hot bite after yanking the cam back up  :D
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:03 PM »
thanks for the tips :tipup:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:08 AM »

Perch are a fish of flats. Seldom will you find perch holding on a break. Find an expansive flat that tapers into deep water and fish it. Find the transition from soft to hard bottom and if you can find weeds even better !

To help with deciphering soft to hard bottom transition try this.
http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_t...rticle_017.html

Also, I might add that with a hard bottom your flasher will throw a double echo with a slight increase over normal gain. This has helped me countless times to find a bridge on the south road bed on Prairie Creek.

As far as weeds go, I would generally work my way out on the flat from the point of its shallowest origin from the shore. This is not always accurate and weeds can grow in many different places but its a starting point. Also look for what appears to be tight holding fish to the bottom. Often times these are matted down weeds and yes dropping a Jigging Rap down and contacting bottom will confirm. If you are lucky enough to find the transition and weeds you should be close. Now just punch lots of holes and fish.

Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Don't be afraid to go deep.  But the biggest key is to stay mobile.  Pack light and drill holes if they are there you will find them by moving.
;

Offline 101HoosierPerchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Late ice is prespawn time for perch and tend to gather in deeper dark bottom bays. The most productive bays are within easy access to the deepest part of the lake.. I second the stay mobile comments!!
FISH: An animal that grows the fastest between the time its caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:42 AM »
find a rocky flat with no weeds then fish with a buckshot with a minnow head. you will not catch a lot the ones you catch will be big.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.