Author Topic: world record perch  (Read 66671 times)

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: world record perch
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:47 PM »
No there not the same.... stop giving false info- therenot even in the same species let alone subspecies

pericva - yellow perch from the usa
Tolivatus- perch from europe and austrailaia that is almost double the size commonly ....

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:40 PM »
it's the same species. they live in the same climate zone.It's totally 1:1.Where did u get that idea about difference? In latin they both Perca fluviatilis.Thats the information i find in my countries books that is in Lithuania, Europe.Show me the website with the different species in latin names.
What would u say about bass species in this country? ;D ;D
In southern states bass grow to 20+Lb, have u ever heard about 20+Lb largemouth caught in any northern states ??? is that a different specie too size wise?
I'm sure there are big bass in northern states too, it just nobody have ever caught, same with the yellow perch. The bigger fish the smarter it is, that's why it's not that easy to catch it, it happens rare especialy in big, deep lakes. Tell me what is the chance to catch big yellow perch on 1500+square acre lake with couple anglers on the ice? i'd say pretty 0.They out there waiting for the right time and lucky guy, trust me. i haven't been that lucky yet, bigest fish ever caught was 45" northern 27lb, yellow perch close to 2Lb. Hope some day i'll catch 4 Lb. yellow, i know they out there.Don't give up u have to spend a lot of time on water and ice and your chances will go up to catch your dream fish. ;)   

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:22 AM »
guys ,this is the same yellow perch ;D. If u wanna proof go to the old continent and do some ice fishing. I were ice fishing In Europe for 13 years and 3 years in this country, one thing i can say it's the same yellow perch ( Perca fluviatilis ). And the colors are the same. Back home in Lithuania the record is above 2 KG it's more than 4Lb.It's not rare to catch 2-3 Lb perch in Europe or Russia.

No you're wrong.  ::) North American yellow perch is Perca fluvescens while European is Perca fluviatilis. The first word is genus and the second is species. Two different species even though they are similar. Going by an animal's color is something a taxonomist would never do.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:49 AM »
it's the same species. they live in the same climate zone.It's totally 1:1.Where did u get that idea about difference? In latin they both Perca fluviatilis.Thats the information i find in my countries books that is in Lithuania, Europe.Show me the website with the different species in latin names.
What would u say about bass species in this country? ;D ;D
In southern states bass grow to 20+Lb, have u ever heard about 20+Lb largemouth caught in any northern states ??? is that a different specie too size wise?
I'm sure there are big bass in northern states too, it just nobody have ever caught, same with the yellow perch. The bigger fish the smarter it is, that's why it's not that easy to catch it, it happens rare especialy in big, deep lakes. Tell me what is the chance to catch big yellow perch on 1500+square acre lake with couple anglers on the ice? i'd say pretty 0.They out there waiting for the right time and lucky guy, trust me. i haven't been that lucky yet, bigest fish ever caught was 45" northern 27lb, yellow perch close to 2Lb. Hope some day i'll catch 4 Lb. yellow, i know they out there.Don't give up u have to spend a lot of time on water and ice and your chances will go up to catch your dream fish. ;)   

While I agree with the correlation of spending alot of time on the water and catching big fish, I highly doubt there is a 20lb bass in Northern lakes... I just don't think they can get that big with the shorter growing season.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:18 AM »
Comparing similar european and north american species is complicated.  Lets start with Zander.  They sure look like walleyes...but they are not, they are Zander.  Same with European perch...they look just like our yellow perch, but they are not. The only argument is with European Northern Pike. Taxonomists still can't agree whether they are the same species or not between Europe and N.A. 

Funny thing is, the three similar European species grow much larger than their N.A. kin. 

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:33 PM »
good point, but that could also be the environment they live in, more food to eat, climate surroundings growing season etc ;D personnally i think they are different

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Taxidermist1 - Holy gillplate!! That is one MONSTER perch. It looks like something from a MONSTER movie. I got a 15.5 many years ago, open water, and I was ready to throw a parade for myself. But, holy cow! :D
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure that they would all taste the same...whether they are the same species or not....fry em up...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:02 AM »
My brother once caught a perch that was 2-1/4 pounds.  It was the biggest thing I have ever seen.  I cannot imagine a 4 pound perch :o

Ranger :tipup:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Taxidermist1 - Holy gillplate!! That is one MONSTER perch. It looks like something from a MONSTER movie. I got a 15.5 many years ago, open water, and I was ready to throw a parade for myself. But, holy cow! :D

That's something to be proud of in public waters! Mine came out of one of my private ponds and it had some things going for it most perch don't. That is, I plant only females, there are lots of bass offspring and snails to eat, and they are very young for their age. This fish was planted at 9 inches as a 2 year old (fed pellets before I got them), and she was this big at just short of only 4 years. A four year old perch in the wild would probably be only be about 8 to 10 inches long.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:37 PM »
...they are very young for their age...
I guess you meant "...they are very young for their size."
Being young for their age is what I try to do by ice fishing, like a lot of old men. :D
That fish looks like it has 35psi of air in it! ;D
If I eat snails will I get a girth like that?
I am going to start looking for an escargot restaurant. ;D
There are some stories of a guy who caught a perch in a lake in NJ about 10-20 years ago that went 4.5 lbs or so. He said the fish was stolen by an amateur taxidermist, or something like that. After fishing that lake several times and having heard a whole lifetime of fish stories, I can rate this one about 80% legitimate.
Lets not forget the world record from NJ.
The place I got my good one was in NJ, and I still live and fish here.
I know there are a lot of waters here that are very rich in small snails. Is that common elsewhere? Hey you guys, real question - are there a lot of small snails in your good perch waters?
NJ has been looking for a new tourist slogan. How about:
"The Perch Garden State"  or  "The Crappie Sleeper State?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:04 PM »
I guess you meant "...they are very young for their size."
Being young for their age is what I try to do by ice fishing, like a lot of old men. :D
That fish looks like it has 35psi of air in it! ;D
If I eat snails will I get a girth like that?
I am going to start looking for an escargot restaurant. ;D
There are some stories of a guy who caught a perch in a lake in NJ about 10-20 years ago that went 4.5 lbs or so. He said the fish was stolen by an amateur taxidermist, or something like that. After fishing that lake several times and having heard a whole lifetime of fish stories, I can rate this one about 80% legitimate.
Lets not forget the world record from NJ.
The place I got my good one was in NJ, and I still live and fish here.
I know there are a lot of waters here that are very rich in small snails. Is that common elsewhere? Hey you guys, real question - are there a lot of small snails in your good perch waters?
NJ has been looking for a new tourist slogan. How about:
"The Perch Garden State"  or  "The Crappie Sleeper State?

Yep that's what I meant.  :blink:

The fish is a female full of eggs. Did you know they can get so blown up with the eggs, up to to 30 percent of their body weight can be in eggs? I think she would have weighed 3 lbs. if I would have caught her a few weeks later.

Gotta watch those amateur taxidermits. Probably screwed it up. I am constantly hearing horror stories of folks that take a prize fish to the cheapest guy around or the closest guy, or the guy that can do it the fastest. Then they come to me and want me to fix it. Not all taxidermists are created equal in artistic talent and experience, and I'm ashamed to say some are not on the up and up. I hope I don't get blasted for this but I would say up to 70 percent of the taxidermists out there have no business doing fish they are that bad. Deerheads etc. yes, fish no.

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:51 PM »
found this photo floatin around the net, caught it in a river somewhere.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Yeah, that is a european perch, caught somewhere in europe.  I've seen that pic b/f

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Yep sure is a European perch.

Update on my big perch. She was older than I thought. I removed here otolith bones and had a professor at South Dakota state age her. She was 6 years old when caught last February which means she was three years old when I planted here in the spring of 2002 somewhere between 9 to 12 inches. Around here in Indiana a typical 6 year old perch is only 10 to 12 inches. She was 16 1/4.

Just finished the final mounting step and got the painting completed today, and other than a few clear coats she's ready for the icefishing scene under glass. I hope to post pics when it's all done later this week.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:08 PM »
213 pound perch?

It says the record Nile Perch is 213 pounds, 8 ounces.

fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

billybono

« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:55 PM »
dont ya remember from myfishfinder....5 plus pounds  ::) ::) ::) ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D

billybono

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:31 AM »
billy  -  got any links for that? ???

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:06 AM »
that perch is humongous.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

billybono

« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2006, 11:13 AM »
dont get too excited boys.....its a hoax  ;)

billybono

Offline barnze13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 28, 2006, 04:16 PM »
i have caught some rele big perch up here in Upstate NY on sacandaga lake this year.  15 1/2 inches and just last weekend i caught a 14 3/4 incher on a tip up, 20 ft of water, 6 inches off bottom (note im 13 years old)

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #52 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:20 PM »
i new it was a hoaxs. :whistle: :whistle:
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:14 PM »
ITs a dink perch thats is nearly rested up against the lens of the camera :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:38 PM »
we need to stock some of these bad boys:

Perch, Nile 213-8 lbs  Lake Nasser, Egypt Dec. 18, 1997 Adrian Brayshaw

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #55 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I have caught a 15.25 perch Manitoba record is 16 ins but I have never seen one over the 16 in mark nice fish guys :o

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:34 PM »
that would be sweet if perch actually got like that.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:43 PM »
Someone caught an 18 incher ice fishing on Lake Erie 2 years ago

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Here's a closeup of mine with the tape measure. It was the real McCoy. Nothing that big since. If I would have caught here in April instead of February she would have weighed at least 3 lbs with more fully developed egg mass.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:21 PM »
I'd love to know the genetic differences in these two fish - seperated for thousands of years by the ocean, but really, I go to Poland every year once or twice and always hit the big, fat females over there in the river Plonie.  I'm headin there saturday for gosh sake to go look for some ice.  Last year my buddy standing right next to me got a perch 6.5 pounds, my personal best is 5.25 but you can hear the old timers talk that right after the war, they would release 5 pounders cause 8 and 10 pounders were common.  I'll tell you guys what, if I brought one back from Europe and took a pic of it on any local lake here, none of you would look at it and say it was European, I've never seen a difference, and that infamous hump only exists on certain fish for some odd reason - I think males get that hump more than females.  Yeah, them latin fools made the taxonomy seperate them, but them idiots in Belgium and Switzerland have no idea how to classify fish.  When did rainbow and cutthroat trout become salmon?  How many of you have kept up with the dolly varden/arctic char complexes?  How bout that whole issue with Thymallus Arcticus, Europeanis, Michiganus and Montanus.  Don't put all your faith in Taxonomy, I think if they rexamined a lot of fish species, they would see them as the same species but maybe give them a subspecie nomenclature - like they do with cutthroats and redbands.  Just my .02

Hoping to find some ice in the Carpathians or on the Oder next week and knock out some Bream or a prize Wels - what funny fish.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.