The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Hardwater Already!  (Read 1394 times)

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
Hardwater Already!
« on: Nov 14, 2007, 07:58 AM »
I had to write this because I saw it with my own eyes. I was out hunting this morning, running late getting out of the woods and into work. I decided to take a short cut back to my truck through an old cutout that had a pond on the back side of it. As I exited the woods, I decided to walk down this old snowmobile trail and come out right next to my truck. As I got close to the small pond I could see it had started to freeze over. At that second, a small red squirrel took off from a tree beside me, and believe it or not, ran across the pond, skating and sliding like he knew what he was doing. I stopped and thought to myself, as I took a deep breath of the cold air, Ice fishing is right around the corner.

God I love the outdoors!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Hardwater Already!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2007, 04:38 PM »
nice to hear from you jimmy!! it is right around the corner !! im working on little sebago right now and have been seeing it in shady coves  ;D

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2007, 04:55 PM »
if it can hold a squirrel shurly it can hold me :P

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2007, 07:42 AM »
Oh YEAH...the ice was coming.....but this warm snap didn't help. :%$#!:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2007, 09:30 AM »
and all this damned rain!!!

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:42 AM »
there will be ice by the begining of december at this rate

Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2007, 12:32 PM »
nice to hear from you jimmy!! it is right around the corner !! im working on little sebago right now and have been seeing it in shady coves  ;D

billditrite. Oh ya it is coming fast. I was near Shaker Pond in Alfred last Saturday morning. With the wind, the small coves had a thin layer of ice starting. Today with the temperature and the rain it will have to start over, but I heard tomorrow we are back to Maine weather. We have to get together this year, I have a buddy that purchased a camp on Schoodic Lake in or around Milo, and from what I hear that is a good laker pond.

Talk soon.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2007, 12:33 PM »
have seen some skim ice here and there but a couple warm days its gone :-\

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2007, 09:10 PM »
you dont have ice up ther jacksmelt........ i heard of some nice brookies being caught up that way during tata harvest season..... was up that way but didnt have my gear with me was watching the fish go nuts during the sunrise and set..... stupid me with a few  days left i dont no what i was thinking............

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Here I am being the killjoy again, but as I remember we were well on our way at the first part of Dec last year with ponds skimmed over when it warmed up. Didn't get to make the first outing 'till after mid Jan. Here to hoping lightning don't strike twice
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2007, 09:56 AM »
a small lake had about 3in. last week when i went hunting. i walked out 20yrds or so. dont know what it will look like after this rain and the 8in. of snow theyre predicting for this afternoon!! gonna be a mess! supposed to hit singles at night starting sat. night.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:36 PM »
a small lake had about 3in. last week when i went hunting. i walked out 20yrds or so. dont know what it will look like after this rain and the 8in. of snow theyre predicting for this afternoon!! gonna be a mess! supposed to hit singles at night starting sat. night.

u should have dropped ur rifle  right there on the spot and sprinted for your vehicle and did 120 mph back to house grabbed all fishing gear and commenced fishing asap. and i thought u were an icefisherman ::) ::) ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:22 PM »
trust me id rather be on hardwater than chasing deer! no open season up here till' jan.1! closest 1st. ice water is 2 solid hrs. drive south of here!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:10 PM »
trust me id rather be on hardwater than chasing deer! no open season up here till' jan.1! closest 1st. ice water is 2 solid hrs. drive south of here!

sorry to hear that  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.