The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Line for tipups?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline FlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line for tipups?
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Anyone try the vinyl coated braided line for ice traps? What are you all using for line and leader?
http://

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Line for tipups?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2007, 04:21 PM »
this year I'm trying florescent orange flyline backing 20lb strength
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:13 PM »
 Dacron line will last for years. Tie a small swivel on then tie your leader on. I use 12' of leader because i like to know the 12' mark.   ;)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Mason 30 lb. braided tipup line is what is on all of my tip ups.  The vinyl coated stuff has too much memeory.  It is all coily when it is in the water.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:59 AM »
Mason 30 lb. braided tipup line is what is on all of my tip ups.  The vinyl coated stuff has too much memeory.  It is all coily when it is in the water.
I 2nd that

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2007, 07:53 AM »
ive used 40lb. heat treated dacron for 20yrs. now. great stuff and the heat treatment keeps the fibers together and doesnt allow water to be absorbed. ive used it for small brookies to muskie and it lasts forever! just switch the leader size as needed for different size fish.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:12 PM »
Where do you buy it Jacksmelt71?
Steve

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 06:55 PM »
its a small company in maine that sells it. i dont have the label so i dont have the name. its wrapped on a cardboard spool bobbin style like thread. comes in 75 or 150 yrd. spools. got a blue label w/ a fish drawn on it. i got it from a local store in ft. kent but ive seen it in alot of bait shops also. talk to bilditrite. he would probably know where to get it. great stuff! good luck!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2007, 03:49 PM »
found the name of that company that sells the 45lb. dacron. its called deluxe ice fishing line its sold by thomas distributors out of howland. havent looked to see if they have a web site and theres no num. on the label. ill see if i can find a website.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2007, 04:00 PM »
ok. got a address and phone# its: 50 river rd.   howland, me 04448  tel. 207-732-4769. north star variety in new sweden also carries it. good luck!

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2007, 04:06 PM »
 i use mason dacron coated but now that he said that i did remember that it did coil a Lot :-\ so i think ill change all my line, i use frabill pro thermal tip-up :) with a wire leader and and a trebel hook with a orange neon tube over where the three hooks meet. its for that extra help. those tip-ups never freeze :o :o :o even in -12  their great  :D :D :D .

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2007, 05:16 PM »
i use that polar ice stuff from wamrt i think its dacron??

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2007, 05:32 PM »
i been using the same line for 20 yrs still works great mason 30lb in black    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2007, 07:10 PM »
ive never liked nylon. it freezes up as stiff as wire! the dacron doesnt do that if its the heat treated variety. if you tried some on a 0 f day you wouldnt go back to nylon. alot less hassels! my 2 cents.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Jacksmelt, know of any web sites with the heat treated line? Ft. Kent is a hike from NH
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:30 AM »
no i dont but call those guys that i posted about on this thread. im sure they'l square you away! i looked and they dont have a web site. theyre the only ones that i know carry the heatreated dacron. if its not treated stuff its just as bad as the nylon polar line for knotting on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.