Author Topic: 1st run prototype sled rack (New box installed)  (Read 6996 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
1st run prototype sled rack (New box installed)
« on: Aug 30, 2017, 02:34 PM »
After drooling over dubobs rack on his sled last year I decided it was time to get something going for my own. I tossed around all kinds of ideas and finally came up with something that would work for the run and gun days moving around. Picked up a wheeler rack and put half of it to use with a few other things. The plan is to weld a few more tube pieces on the open side and some steel insert pieces where I have the copper fittings as soon as icecutterion gets his welder back up and running. Then I'll give it a nice fresh coat of paint and be done. For about $80 I like how it turned out and I still have the other half of the rack to convert over to another one. Shoot my cover even fits better now

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
Re: 1st run prototype sled rack
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Hopefully we can get my sled working good so we can build a rack on it

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:49 AM »
lets take it in and see what they can figure out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Nice Rack!  I'm itching to buy a machine so I can keep up.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Thanks slap, theres been quite a few sleds on ksl lately that would be great for the hard deck. Just depends how much you want to spend. We finally got fishon1's into the shop monday so hopefully they can figure out what we couldnt. lol
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2017, 11:47 PM »
I am hoping my sled gets fix and I can catch up to Matt ;D.

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2017, 01:32 PM »
That is a really nice setup. Looks like everything in its place and a place for everything!

How have you liked the nils auger? I switched over to the drill and nils two years ago and it has been awesome. I have both the six and eight inch, but find I usually use the six where I am without a snowmobile for transportation. I have no regrets with the purchase, but I haven't had to have mine sharpened yet... I hope I still love it then.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Thanks ty,  I do like the 6in nils and have my order in for the 8in right now. I picked up a milwaukee 1200lb drill this summer and plan to be all electric this winter. Also made a trade to prospector for a 9ah battery so I should be good to go with that and my two 5ah ones no matter how many holes I drill. I have been using my 6in for a coupe years myself and it's still cutting great. I hear you on the sharpening I hope I don't have to do it for awhile. If I do I'll more than likely send it in to Frank's back east in the off season
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Very nice - good job!
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Looks really nice Matt, I like that crate addition, should keep all the gear where you need it... Later J

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking to replace the crate with something thats a little more weather tight/waterproof, so there is already an upgrade in progress and as soon as sportsmans opens today I will be giving them a call to see if they have the box i want in stock or if i need to order it online and ship it to the store for free
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Got the new box put on and I must say its coming together nicely. I believe I'll be much happier with this box. No need to worry about back spray snow getting on everything besides the auger and poles. I really liked that this box has tie down points for bungees as a back-up to the 4 screws I mounted it to the rack with

Pole holder mounted up

Plenty of clearance for the rods and reels, but it was close for the reels. Almost had to rethink the rod holder. The top ring turns to lock them in. The only probs I see are with my 13 fishing rods that have the short buts could bounce up a little and I will have to take the rods out to open the box. Oh well We'll see

Auger still fits great and when my 8in gets here (shipped today) it should clear with plenty of room

Plenty of room in the box for the LX-7 and some extra things. I put about 1.5-2" of foam in the bottom to keep things riding a little smoother when run and gunnin

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1st run prototype sled rack (New box installed)
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Nice work Matt. That"s way cool i like the box idea and keeping stuff dry and from bouncing out. Good job!  :clap:
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2017, 04:55 PM »
muskyon46, what did you use to attach the rack to the piping behind the seat(pic #7)?

Nice setup, BTW!   ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Thanks guys,  I used an LED light bar mount to attach it to the seat back bar. Worked out good and I didn't have to drill into that bar. Couple locking wing nuts and bolts. Good to go. This is the one I ordered. It's universal to different size bars. Theres alot out there but it seems they don't get cheaper than $10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XKQHNTT/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Thanks! Trying to figure out a way of mounting a 5 gallon bucket, maybe shovel? They are definitely worth checking out...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2017, 05:57 PM »
 Looking good buddy! You might look into the rod holders that  clam makes. They have little slots that the reels set in and can be tied down secure with a small bungee.  That way you could open your box and still keep the rods attached.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2017, 07:19 PM »
No Prob bart. Hey joe you mean these ones. Lol I thought about them but this rack was hangin pretty close to where the box was at sportsmans. Ok it was in the fishing section and the box was in the hunting section but who goes to sportsmans without walking thru the fishing section?  Not this guy

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2017, 11:01 PM »
 Nope. Those are beaver dams. The clam rod holder is on the other side on the auger sleeve.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2017, 08:34 AM »
You mean this rack

Thats one sweet set up joe  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2017, 09:24 AM »
 Thanks Matt. We better stick to posting pictures of your rack set up. This is your thread after all. LOL!  ;D  The Clam rod holders would be worth looking into in my opinion. I have had them on for a few years now and they have held up pretty well. I use those wires from Nite Ize that are coated with plastic to keep My rods in place while traveling. As you know, we have put on a few miles with no problems. Look forward to hitting the hard deck again this year with you brother!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:42 AM »
It's no Prob joe, this after all is our forum. I just had to post up a few pics of that sweet ice ride you've put together  @) I'll give this rack a few runs and if it don't work out the way I want then I'll probably look into that clam one
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Matt (and anybody else that doesn't have one of theses),

Get rid of that auger blade cap you have now and get one of these.  Bought mine in 2015 and wouldn't have any other make.  Easiest on & off I've ever seen.

Here's the link to the company website:
Cold Snap Outdoors
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Bentrod801

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Looking good Matt. looking forward to seeing you guys at Henry's.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:30 AM »
I'll keep my eye out for deals on that cold snap cover, just cant justify $25 for a cover when the one I got is still holding on. Now if I see a good deal on one then I might just have to get it. Looks like the stikemaster one(red) will fit clam and nils augers from what I was reading online. The one they show on the nils website is yellow though so I'm a bit confused  ???

Looking good Matt. looking forward to seeing you guys at Henry's.

Thanks BR, its going to take forever to get here
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2017, 07:02 PM »
That is really nice, very clean setup. I have a Makita with 1200 ft/lbs and it has been really good even with the 8 inch, I have two 5ah batteries and have never even had to break out the second one, probably will with time, but so far so good. I didn't even realize that they have a 9ah battery, that is awesome! I hear you about Frank out east, but I wish there were a few more people that sharpened them... what if he retires?! Maybe you should look into become a certified sharpener! ;)Hope you have an early/great season, a little less snow this year would be nice, I will keep my fingers crossed!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Thanks IFT, very happy with the way it turned out and after i get some stuff welded up on it and a fresh coat of paint it will be even better. Ya I'm thinking with the 9ah I will probably never get to the other 5ah's unless its a long trip like prospector gets in (9 days on the Gorge). I'm setting myself up to be able to, one day. As for the sharpening we'll have to see about that  :-\
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Matt, If that pole rack doesn't work out, which I bet it will... But do you think you could go horizontal across the top of the lid with pole holders?  I know reel clearance may be an issue, but might fix your lid opening issue... Later J

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:48 PM »
I did put them on top before I mounted it but the rack is only for when we're moving out on the ice and the rods will more than likely be baited up and I didn't want that or the reels sitting like that in top of the box. It should work good. As for the finder in the box it's the same I'll have it in there when we're moving around. The ride in and it I'll secure it better.  Honestly I don't think it will be a Prob riding in there
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Put a new auger/gun rack on the wheeler too

Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.