The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: moon ?/ high or low pressure  (Read 686 times)

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
moon ?/ high or low pressure
« on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Ok guys, if you had the choice , which phaze of the
moon would you prefer . which is better  high or low
pressure?
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: moon ?/ high or low pressure
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Guess this is the not the answer you are looking for... but I don't buy into any of that crap.  I go fishing when I can, and I'm certainly not staying home just because some magazine says the bite is going to be slow...because of the moon!

I bet there are a few other fisherman like me too... I worry about more important things ;)  Like location, lure/bait presentations, etc...

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:51 PM »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:53 PM »
that is how i do it to, you just hear so much talk about
it. I thought i would get some opinions
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I wasn't trying to be rude about it either... I just think this stuff gets blown way out of proportion.  It has been discussed to death on the internet too... it is a huge debate among anglers.... and there are a lot of people who think it is really important.  I'm sure the guys who think it is important will chime in and give you their thoughts.

I personally do pay attention to the moon, but for only a few species and usually its more just out of curiosity.  I've tried to keep note of whether or not I catch more walleye at night when its dark or a full moon and really I saw no difference...  I definitely catch more at night though than day, regardless of what the moon is doing.

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:19 PM »
I see it the same way, if the operturnty it there
I'm going fishing, it was just if a guy was lucky
enuft to chouse which would he chuse
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline dirtboy88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I'll fish any time of day, regardless of moon phase and pressure, but I have better luck (or maybe I just fulfill my own predictions) when there is little to no moon.  Weather seems to impact me more for soft water fishing, but I do worst the day a low pressure system is arriving and the first day of that system/storm.
But, don't let anything like this stop you from fishing.
Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:36 PM »
10-4
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:41 PM »
If anyone has a chance to go fishing by all means GO! Regardless of what the moon, weather etc is doing. You cannot catch fish staring at the tv at home.

However the moon fazes do affect fish patterns the same as it does with wildlife but should not be a deterrent to going fishing. Accepting it and adjusting your fishing patterns is the key to catching fish. I see so many ice anglers showing up at the lake anywhere from 8-10 am , or later, and in my opinion, especially on the full or close to full moon fazes you might have better success in the first two hours prior to and the first hour after day break as a rule of thumb. With the mid day basically sucking and then the late and after dark pattern being somewhat better. Bottom line, if you chose to fish a spot that just plain sucks you might not catch many fish regardless.

Anyone who keeps a log of their fishing outings will tell you the moon as well as many other factors can effect fishing or at least seems to. Seeing the same patterns during these moon fazes on a body of water can only bring an angler to these conclusions about the moon. Its just information from compiled data/records that might put the odds in your favor. One problem in general is most fisherman do the same thing, in the same place, on the same body of water and when fish don't bite they state  "the bite is slow", "they have lock jaw", "the lake turned over" or whatever the excuse when in reality its generally a fisherman problem not a fish problem. So if you want to test the moon give it a try and over time see if the average can be better for your outings. You cannot knock success and to discount anything about it would be your loss.

Cheers!
Houligan

Offline WyoIceFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I am one of the 10:00 fishermen you mentioned.  Only go about 12 times each year and typically fish from 10:00-10:30 until 2:30.  Last year I caught my 6 fish every time out. This year I have limited out every time.  Weather conditions and moon have varied, so I think it is mainly due to technique and choice of bait.  Electronics really help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.