Author Topic: How thick does the ice have to be before you'll drive your truck on it?  (Read 23290 times)

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
I mean there are charts that say what is safe but we all have our own comfort zones based on our own experiences. With temperatures being so cold this winter I'll probably be driving out on it sometime this winter and I'm wondering what people's personal opinions are.

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
one hundred sowsand feet.......
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
I go by the charts & still check the ice. the most important thing to remember is not to park too close to other vehicles. I always get a chuckle out of the groups of vehicles that park close to shore like they would in a parking lot..... eventually something's gonna give. I've seen rows of vehicles half wet in the shallows.

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am certainly not planning on making a parking lot on the ice! I'm thinking 18 inches of clear ice should be enough to support an f250 based on the charts but I wanted to hear some people's personal opinions. Do pressure cracks weaken the ice enough to make a difference in its weight bearing ability?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
When I was younger (did it once) 10", now a little older(maybe wiser) don't think till its 20" plus if ever!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
This part of the country an even foot is pretty much license to drive. I've seen others (and been) out on about 8" of crystal clear, nary a bubble or crack. Of course, I've done my own checking and don't do that as a rule. Also seen the parking lots, literally door to door on as little as 12-13".

That said, assume all others are idiots, check your own path and parking and always err on the side of caution.....

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would say to ask your insurance agent how thick he or she thinks it should b lol
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
Depends on whose vehicle?
Yours? I may take it out on +18"
Mine? Never

Long island? As in long island ny?

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
good solid ice can hold tons of weight.  Here in Wisconsin it is not uncommon to see communities of shacks, 40 or so, surrounded by 20 trucks.  I drove my 1/2 ton on 11 inches this year but ended up backing off from where we intended to fish as the reality of sinking my rig set in.  There were trucks much further out on the lake but I went with the better safe than sorry gig.  If you have consistent and good ice, 12 inches will easily hold a 1/2 ton truck.  We generally use 12" as go time.  We have vehicles go down in Wisconsin but it is generally a result of people not knowing the bad spots on lakes.   Right now we have 30" of ice on most lakes...........it has been quite a winter.

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm real comfortable on 18"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does full coverage insurance cover if it goes in??

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am certainly not planning on making a parking lot on the ice! I'm thinking 18 inches of clear ice should be enough to support an f250 based on the charts but I wanted to hear some people's personal opinions. Do pressure cracks weaken the ice enough to make a difference in its weight bearing ability?

We don't deal with pressure ridges on the lakes I fish in WI.  we do fish lake of the woods and they are common.  They put bridges over these and we drive right over.  Some people drive right up next to them and drop portables down.  Although I don't know the science, experience tells me the pressure ridge will not weaken the ice. 

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Does full coverage insurance cover if it goes in??

I asked this specifically...they responded...if the ice is considered safe it is covered.  They did not however define what they consider safe.  they do not cover recovery which can be upwards of 10 grand.  They told me my truck would be covered if I put it through and one could reasonably assume the ice was safe.  Thankfully I have never had to test this policy. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I asked this specifically...they responded...if the ice is considered safe it is covered.  They did not however define what they consider safe.  they do not cover recovery which can be upwards of 10 grand.  They told me my truck would be covered if I put it through and one could reasonably assume the ice was safe.  Thankfully I have never had to test this policy.

I also asked my agent and the answer I got was "yes you do have some coverage, a lot of it depends"

Great answer!

WS

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Here is what my Dad told me.
Good Ice will hold:
2'' two men
4'' a team of horses
8'' a locomotive
His truck 12"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Maddogg does your dad sell insurance??

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Must have full coverage. Make sure you have plenty of comprehensive coverage.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

• Team IceShanty Addict
Depends on whose vehicle?
Yours? I may take it out on +18"
Mine? Never

Long island? As in long island ny?

That's where I live but it's not where I ice fish! I certainly don't plan on driving my truck out on anything in LI.

From what I'm getting, if there is 18" of clear ice or more I should be ok. I guess we'll see! I know my lakes pretty well and I know what lakes not to trust. I have a good insurance policy and if it goes through on 20" of ice (which I doubt would happen) I'm probably covered. I'll just drive with the windows open!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
About a foot of real good ice and I'll drive on it with my truck.  That means good clear ice, no snow, no weird freezes (i.e. wind breaking it apart and refreezing it).  If there's snow it adds a new element.  The lake itself determines when I'll drive on it as well.  Two lakes not far from my parents house in Wisconsin and one has over 2 feet of ice and the other has just over a foot.  They are about 5 miles away from one another.  Different bodies of water have different characteristics. 

The thinnest ice I've driven on was 4 inches in a small car.  It was good ice but it was a bit nuts on our part.   

Offline Wyo-Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
My grandpa always said these were his standards
2"= man
4"= 4wheeler
8"=pickup
12"=18 wheeler,

For me it's
+4"= man
+12"=4wheeler/snowmachine
Lake frozen solid=pickup ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
What about a heavy truck like an f-250, does that make much of a difference?

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
It depends... How thick is the surface of the earth that the blacktop is supported by?.... That thick.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

• Team IceShanty Addict
That's pretty thick...

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My general guide line is

3+" - 1 person (people weigh different amounts ya know!)
5+" - small group not too close together.
6+" - larger group
7+" -people are fine!
8 - 10" - small car (who would bring a small car out on a lake?)
10 - 20" - small truck (now we're talking!)
20+" - You're good to go!

There are different guidelines for almost every state, but they don't differ that much.

The best advice I can give is that the safest ice for driving won't be until Jan/Feb after a deep freeze!
I drive my truck out on Winnipesaukee in NH, and they tend to have upwards of 2 feet of ice through most of the season.
Of course they have weak spots that almost (I stress ALMOST) everyone knows to avoid, but there's always the exception to any rule and they end up fishing them out every season (dead and alive).

Always be aware of the ice and your surroundings, and if you have even the faintest hint that the ice may be unsafe, stay off or drive with the windows open and no seatbelts (for quick exit if needed)!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
with my Tahoe I like a minimum of 15" but do know that 12" will hold it(made the mistake of driving out after seeing 3 full size truck on this lake I fish, got out and drilled my hole and I got a surprise when I measured). Don't plan to repeat that again. talk about pucker factor.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
What about a heavy truck like an f-250, does that make much of a difference?
Heavy trucks will need thicker ice. Not likely I'll ever drive my F350 (well over 6,000 lbs.) out to my fishing spot. If I need to drive out there'll be my 800 Sportsman under me ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The ice has never been that thick here....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
18"....and other ones out there already.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
15-18 clear ice for me.  3/4 ton diesel

• Team IceShanty Addict
If you drive a 250/2500 diesel out on 15-18 I shouldn't be too worried about driving an F-250 gasser on 18-20!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.