Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Storm Lake Ice  (Read 1935 times)

Offline rodeomarine21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go big or go Home
Storm Lake Ice
« on: Jan 16, 2021, 03:27 PM »
Is the lake thick enough for an ATV yet? I hate walking that far. Old, Fat, semi-lazy
Semper Fish Devil Dogs

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Storm Lake Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:25 PM »
I haven't fished storm lake on the ice this year. Before the blizzard I seen quite a few portable shacks out....not a lot but enough.

There was One wheeler out.....my guess is use caution and talk to the bait shop and check the ice. Storm never seems to get great ice.....just a little to far south.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Saw a wheeler on Black Hawk yesterday.  Stands to reason that it should be at least in some areas at Storm.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 03:14 PM »
How's it been here?  I'm about a half hour away and I'm always tempted to head up to try, but I've been humbled by this lake many times.  Last time out, last year, around Frank Starr park, I got a skinny walleye and a decent perch around 10", and that was all.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:39 PM »
How's it been here?  I'm about a half hour away and I'm always tempted to head up to try, but I've been humbled by this lake many times.  Last time out, last year, around Frank Starr park, I got a skinny walleye and a decent perch around 10", and that was all.

If you can't catch a walleye at storm......your in the wrong spot move. With the shallow areas and clear water from zebra Muscles with minimal snow......deeper areas with drop offs. plenty of those and humps where the dredge was. That dredge area by Frank Starr Park......I haven't had very much luck in that area....caught a few with the boat....but its definitely not a spot I bother with the boat unless all my other areas fail. I would suggest trying The serve cuts east of the big island, 70-75% of the fish I catch come from over there.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:50 PM »
Thanks for the input

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:21 PM »

If you look at the map. You can see the structure less dredge cut by frank Starr park.....its basically a square hole. The trench to the left of the big island.....well there is one-two spots we catch fish in it. sometimes trolling between the end of it over to stone point will snag a random fish. Area to target is right of big island and up. That is an area with a lot of different types of structure. And has some areas that will funnel fish and different depths. Saddles, points, humps, deep holes. It sucks getting out there if you don't have a wheeler.

If you are night fishing the rocky area by the college, or sandy flat area of south shore will produce.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:17 PM »
I have fished the area by the college and have done OK.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:37 PM »
I have fished the area by the college and have done OK.

That area....you can find a fish or two....not the greatest.....but when the spawn bite is on it can be really good lots of scattered rocks....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:43 PM »
On another note with the water clarity improvement on storm......anyone notice a difference in bites with different # line

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.