Author Topic: jig rod for brook trout suggestions needed  (Read 1744 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
jig rod for brook trout suggestions needed
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:01 PM »
I am trying to find a new rod to use for brook trout , the one rod I have now has no sensitivity at all , the spoons I plan on using are 1/10 swedish pimple  1/12 - 1/8 kastmaster  1/16 rattle spoon .  the trout are stocked trout that are not huge . any suggestions appreciated .  THANKS

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: jig rod for brook trout suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:56 PM »
27-28" medium light

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Solid carbon rods for jigging would be my preference.  With those lure weights I would prefer to use a light power rod to medium light.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:35 PM »
For 1/16 to 1/8 spoons I would suggest a solid carbon rod, a ML or L with a fast or XF action. You want the softer tip for working the spoons and a fast taper to backbone to get a good hookset on those fast fish. Then you need a pretty good even bending rod to fight the wild swimming trout without pulling hooks out- especially right around the hole when they go ballistic. A good rod that I personally would suggest would be the eyeconic 32" mag lite fast action if you are catching sub 14" brookies. If you are catching 14"+ then probably the 32" med lite xf for the slightly stiffer backbone and tip. The Mag lite will fish the 1/8 ok but anything heavier and go for the med lite. Again, its a solid carbon rod so you will be able to FEEL the quick hit from the brookie before your eyes register that the tip moved. They are kind of on the expensive side, but they are not a walmart rod... and 5 year warranty which they will honor, very nice people to work with!
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.