Author Topic: Best ice fishing rod and reel combo?  (Read 18168 times)

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
Best ice fishing rod and reel combo?
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:52 PM »
I'm looking to get some new rod and reels, I wanna get a ultra light action for panfish and a medium action for walleyes when I go up north. Any suggestions on the best rod and reels out there?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best ice fishing rod and reel combo?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:25 PM »
If you want to spend the bucks, get a Thorne Bros. ML walleye rod with Fuji recoil guides. If you're fishing shallow water a lot, the Okuma slv fly reel makes for a sweet combination.

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:05 PM »
What do you think about 13 fishings whiteout combo?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Whiteout rods and Wickeds are both good rods, I use the whiteout on perch the Wicked is my sight fishing rod.... I also have a few Thorne rods but the 13's areagreat choice for the price.... No comment on their spinning reels I dont buy combos but do have 2 of their 6061's and those are sweet reels....

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:12 AM »
I love my TBros power noodles. They r set up with president reels. I ordered two of the Wicked combos. They should be here today. I will give an update after this weekend on them.
 Matt

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Thanks Matt

Offline NB7314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 PM »
For panfish you can't beat a Quiverstick from TB can fish jigs to spoons in whatever panfish situation.  For a reel you cant go wrong with Tica.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Well I got the new Wicked combos in today. I must say for $50 they are really nice. They are ultra sensitive. I like the way your hand actually touches the the carbon seat that the rod is attached to. You can feel any little tap. I can not wait to get these on the ice! The reels are 5BB and have infinite anti reverse. They seem pretty smooth. They are worth the extra $20 over what a bare rod costs you thats for sure. I have three of the 27" QT Frabil rod combos with the Bro reels on them. The rods are a lot more sensitive than the OT rods. The only thing I like about the Bro reels is the folding handle,otherwise these reels are just as nice. I'll do a better review once I have a chance to try them on the ice.
  Matt

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:36 PM »
I picked up a frabill quick tip combo 27 " and it is a fun rod for panfish. The reel is smooth for a combo nice drag. The only thng I will say is you will miss alot of fish with it if bite is finicky. I was using 4mm fiskas the other day and they were sucking in bait and spitting it out... think the 13 fishing rod would be cool to try, Jist not sure what action... Does the ultra light or light have enough backbone to fight a pike or bass on occasion? They come in and hit hard sometimes.... I would like the sensitivity to be better then the fiberglass QT. Are 13 graphite rods?
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Yes they are. They are a graphite rod with a carbon reel seat. I got the 27" MEDLIGHT. I'm going to use them  as my jiggin rap rods. It has a lot of back bone to it. I need to use it to really see how the tip action is. I have two Tbros power noodles that I normally use and they are awesome. they have a super light tip but really nice back bone right where you need it in the rod,but they also cost me $90 each. I will keep you guys updated.
 Matt

I picked up a frabill quick tip combo 27 " and it is a fun rod for panfish. The reel is smooth for a combo nice drag. The only thng I will say is you will miss alot of fish with it if bite is finicky. I was using 4mm fiskas the other day and they were sucking in bait and spitting it out... think the 13 fishing rod would be cool to try, Jist not sure what action... Does the ultra light or light have enough backbone to fight a pike or bass on occasion? They come in and hit hard sometimes.... I would like the sensitivity to be better then the fiberglass QT. Are 13 graphite rods?

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I just picked up 2 13 fishing whiteout rod and reel combo, I wasn't gonna get the ultralight but it felt like it had a good backbone just in case I hook something bigger, and it felt great inmy hand. I also got a medium action for the big walleyed up north. Now all I gotta do is get hook some fish. I can't wait to try out my ultralight this weekend.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:05 AM »
I got an ultralight Frabil straightline combo this year and I love it. Makes even 8" perch fun to jig up!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:49 AM »
My favorites are the Jason Mitchell meat stick rods with the spring tip, with a pfueger trion or michell Avocett reel.  I stopped buying combos because the reels were always junk.

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I went to scheels today and found a Tica Cetus SS500 reel for 29 bucks. All the other ones were 49 so it was mismarked but couldn't turn it down it comes with an extra spool too. Do you think a Thorne bro rod is best for this reel?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Mismarked, huh? Good deal! Thorne Bros. aren't cheap, but they are built in the U.S.A..I haven't seen or used a better ice rod.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:56 AM »
I have two Power noodles and love them! They are pricey though. I spent about $90 a piece. Which they have a reel seat and the outside guides on them. I have a couple of Tica reels and have not been to impressed with them but for that kind of money they would be worth it.
 Matt

I went to scheels today and found a Tica Cetus SS500 reel for 29 bucks. All the other ones were 49 so it was mismarked but couldn't turn it down it comes with an extra spool too. Do you think a Thorne bro rod is best for this reel?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.