Author Topic: Marcum vx-1 pro v.s Genz pack fl-8 vexilar?  (Read 20372 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Marcum vx-1 pro v.s Genz pack fl-8 vexilar?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:53 PM »
This topic is discussing a vx-1p vs a fl-8. Your fl-18 and fl-20 have no baring in the conversation as they are completely different units than the fl-8. But comparing a fl-18 to a marcum vx-1p would be a pretty good comparison. Now you choose, $499(plus soft pack) vs $260

A Marcum lx-7 has 0.25" target separation and a digital display with as crisp of lines as you can get. 1000 times better than a vex. If you want to start discussing other units to prove you're point, I'll do the same.

It isnt that one works and the other doesnt, its that one is much more bang for your buck.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2012, 11:23 PM »
This topic is discussing a vx-1p vs a fl-8. Your fl-18 and fl-20 have no baring in the conversation as they are completely different units than the fl-8. But comparing a fl-18 to a marcum vx-1p would be a pretty good comparison. Now you choose, $499(plus soft pack) vs $260

A Marcum lx-7 has 0.25" target separation and a digital display with as crisp of lines as you can get. 1000 times better than a vex. If you want to start discussing other units to prove you're point, I'll do the same.

It isnt that one works and the other doesnt, its that one is much more bang for your buck.

I have said it 3 times that the VX1 is better than the FL8, it gives you more for the money with the zoom.

The LX7 is a nice unit and it should be for the price tag.  But even with its 800x600 pixels it is not unlimited in what it can show.  Better than what vex can show?  YES...1000 times better?  No.  We are agruing about something that has been around since the 70's, lines that represent weeds, fish, bottom and your lure.  As long as the finder shows the lines, and the user knows how to interpret them, that is all that matters.  IMO they are all getting outside the price range of the average ice fisherman.  How many ways do we need to show a line?  With the recent weather pattens we are lucky to have 2 months of ice any more here in the lower ice belt.  Dropping 700-1000 bucks for these 'new' units doesn't make much sense, when the 300 dollar model will do just fine for the 8 weeks a year we can use them.  The trend is the same for the open water finders, but at least with those you can use them 9-10 months a year and most come with GPS.

Offline Iceflyfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:53 AM »
I think what he means is that both marcum and hbird have upped their games putting lots of features on their entry level units like vexilar puts on their upper end units... giving customers more bang for their buck. Vexilar has stayed with the same super basic OLD technology, saying "we were the first"... yeah you were the first, but now you are in last place and relying on your reputation to sell the products. Time to up your game.

Bingo,  it is simple logic.  Better bang for your buck, unless you enjoy spending more money for less of a unit. Stick with Marcum. Or Hummingbird.

I went from fl-8 to Vx1 now I run a hummingbird.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:05 AM »
just to weigh in here.  we have a vex fl8 we are selling.   i have it here at work for shipping.   i was getting antsy and left work early and i have my panfish rod in the truck.   so i grabbed the vex and headed to the local marina.

i dropped the ducer in the water and was like 4'?  well thats wierd i swear its deeper here but whatevs, the mississippi is low.   turned the gain down as low as possible and it cleared up a smidge.  so i drop my 1/80th oz jig down there and it looks like a 20lb northern down there.  and there was nothing i could do to make it smaller.  as i'm lowing it to the bottom, it just kept goign past the bottom another foot or so.  and down there i caught fish here or there.  occasionally one would rise up and i'd bring it in. 

well that was fun and stuff so i went home and told the wife after the kids were in bed i was going back.  took my marcum back and set her in there and low and behold, there is 6' of water because the gain actually can be turned down to 0.   from 4-6' there are weeds or sticks or something and i was able to get my jig to a small size and easily be able to see what is goign on down there.

i say all that because this is my experience i've always had with FL8's.  they are made by vexilar who is one of the best run companies from a service and support standpoint but the fl8 is basically only good for 10-20feet of water fishing.  if you fish in over 20ft of water you won't get a zoom with the fl8.  it was frustrating for the years i had one.  in less than 10' of water you just can't turn your gain down far enough to get rid of all the clutter.  your jig shows up as a 1/8-1/4" mark.  the two fl8's i've used extensively (1 old 1 new) have both done this.   (well aware of the 20 dollar S cable but really they should just come with it automatically)

i would have no problem recommending one of the other vexilars to anyone else.  the 18's through the 22.  but the fl8 is just not conducive to deep or shallow water fishing.  and being that its more expensive than its low end counterparts, i can't recommend it to really anyone. 

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:56 AM »
I have used a few vex flashers before I bought my VX-1 pro and won't go back.
It takes a MIDDLE MODEL Vexilar to match the features of the BASE MODEL Marcum.
No matter what you pick the result will be more fish.

Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Take a kid fishing!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
:icefish:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:21 PM »
You must have had some faulty vex units then.  I have never had a crispness of the lines issue with a fl18 or fl20.  Maybe my eyes are bad.  Also have no issue seeing the difference in Green, orange and red lines on the vex even if they use a blended 2 bulb scheme.  As you said the both mark fish below you, which is what they are intended to do.  The few marcums I have fished around, I have not experienced a marcum showing a fish that the vex did not also mark, so I don't agree the marcum shows more of what is under you than the vex.  If that were the case there are literally 1000's of fishermen out there missing what is below them If they have a vex.   ::)  Vexilar would be out of business if that were the case. 

Again, the topic is which of the entry units is better, and Marcum gives you more for less and it is not really debatable, but both will show you the fish which is what you really want.

Well if all 6 I have owned are bad plus all the other guys that have fished with theirs beside me must be alot of bad Vex's out there... Marcum ( excluding
VX-1) all run true 3 colors, something no Vex has, also true zoom not a blown up image....I also agree the VX-1 and FL-18 are a better comarison than the FL-8

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:36 PM »
another thing with marcums is all those updates you have to do

I don't mind having to do updates, to me it tells me Marcum is constantly working to make their products better.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:28 PM »
6 and 7 are all that need updates, simpleway to get the newest program without having to buy a new unit... and it;s free.....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:49 PM »
6 and 7 are all that need updates, simpleway to get the newest program without having to buy a new unit... and it;s free.....

And you don't have to do them, up to you.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Brian Tindall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Nice thread fellas!! this helped confirm my decision to go ahead and get the Marcum VX-1. . Thanks, now after my purchase I feel I will be able to sleep tonight. . ha ha.

Offline cornerback21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2012, 04:15 AM »
Its a whats better, ford or chevy kind of question. Proud owner of the fl8. Either one will increase your amount of fish you catch. Got my fl8 for 264 at glensoutdoors, while the marcum was 299. I catch more fish, and that's all that matters

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Its a whats better, ford or chevy kind of question. Proud owner of the fl8. Either one will increase your amount of fish you catch. Got my fl8 for 264 at glensoutdoors, while the marcum was 299. I catch more fish, and that's all that matters

Its more than a ford vs chevy question. Its a ford pinto vs chevy camaro question.

One could also say a marcum lx-9 vs a vexilar fl-8 genz is a ford vs chevy question also.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ATRAIN44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:28 PM »
I'm a prospective buyer myself this year. I'm also deciding on which model and I am definitely leaning towards the Marcum.  I just don't know which model. I fish a lot on lakes that have a max depth of 60-80 feet or less, but I do occasionally lake trout fish on lakes that go as deep as 150-180 feet.  Is it worth it to spend the extra $$$ on a model that gives me more capabilities in deeper water or stick with a more basic model?  Granted I don't exactly have the bank account to spend whatever I want, but I want a unit that is going to be the best bang for the buck for my needs without "cheaping" out.  As usual your answers are greatly appreciated!
Women love me.....fish fear me!!!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:25 PM »
if alot of your fishing is done for suspended fish in depths that deep, its probably worth looking at a flasher with movable zoom.  vex, if i'm not mistaken only has a bottom lock.   marcum has the movable zoom, and humminbird may as well.

Offline ATRAIN44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:02 AM »
To be honest, I only fish those depths once or twice a year and I would say 160 would be around the deepest (Otsego Lake in Cooperstown).  I fish a lot for panfish, walleye, pike, and trout (splake, browns, etc...) in lakes with max depth of approximately 60-80 feet.  I would say my price range is 300 - to 500 tops.  Specific model(s) in each brand would be great.  Again at this time I'm leaning towards Marcum but know very little about them.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:17 AM »
LX-5 would be perfect for you.

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:22 AM »
I'd say vexilar Fl12 genz pack would be perfect.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I'd say vexilar Fl12 genz pack would be perfect.

So a flat screen FL-8 is your recomendation without zoom?  Get a unit with zoom, Marcums VX-1 is similar to Vexs FL
-18 at a far lower price, the LX-3 and 5 are better units with the 5 being great with the SFL feature...

Offline ATRAIN44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 15, 2012, 12:35 PM »
What price would we be talkin for the LX5? And what is the SFL feature?

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »
The best price out there is 224.00 for a VX-1 pro Vroom right past the FL-8 and the FL-12 and drag head to head with the 400.00 Vexs and laugh the whole way to the bank. hehehe ;D ;D ;) ;) Or show off some of you other neet ice gear you got with your 200.00 savings!!!!!
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:56 AM »
To be honest all I have ever used is the vex lineup. When I went and bought my first flasher I didn't even know that marcum existed in comparison to the vex. I will honestly say that after using them for as long as I have now I think its about options for the money and people seem to think that they have to pick a name instead of the product/options they are paying for... The vx-1 pro has more options. I have heard guys that have had them a long time love them with trouble free experience. Same goes for the vex. But for the money not knowing anything about them the marcum shines with the zoom soft pack and price.
Fishin red lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:16 AM »
What price would we be talkin for the LX5? And what is the SFL feature?

SFL is a superfine line feature cutting your line thickness in half allowing sharper crisper lines and better readbility, retail on the LX-5 is $499 but I'm sure aguy can find them cheaper.... Pro Fishing Supply should be less than that and also free shipping and no sales tax if your not a MN resident

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:01 PM »
ok anybody else ive heard great things about it...

Had a vx1 for two seasons and I loved it, worked well and was cheap! However, season 3 rolled around and I had problems with my ducer and the brushes would occasionally come in and out. I switched to the fl8 and have been very happy with it! No problems at all with it. That being said, either way you go I'm confident you'll be happy with your purchase!

Offline ATRAIN44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Just saw that Marcum has partnered up with Rapala.  Does this play any factor in my decision between the lx-5 and the fl18 vex.  Marcum is offering a Rapala ice pack $80 value with the purchase of the lx-5 looks pretty cool?  Any further thoughts?

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 21, 2012, 05:31 AM »
 ATRAIN, I never had a fl18 but I did have a fl8. I bought the marcum lx-5 and love it. As far as Rapala taking over, it really hasn't changed anything as far as Marcum is concerned. Same prices and the CS is great. They have no problems answering any questions. If you do have a problem the turn around time is great also.

Offline ATRAIN44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Thanks dab!  I will be ordering one over the holiday.  Maybe I'll wait and see if I get one for xmas first!  hahaha Tiss the season for wishful thinking!!!!!

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Great thread!!  Lots of good info, and like all ice fishermen, it is clear that you all are really trying to help out a fellow fisherman.  In the year since this thread was last posted on, has there been any changes of heart, or has the OP since purchased his flasher?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.