Author Topic: Fatfish or Quickfish  (Read 15400 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Fatfish or Quickfish
« on: Nov 03, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I'm trying to decide on which pop-up to get between the Fatfish and Quickfish.  They both look very similar and am wondering which is better.  Another question I have is if I should get one that's insulated or noninsulated since I won't be running a heater in it but will be using a lantern from time to time.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Re: Fatfish or Quickfish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Chris:  I've owned them both and currently have the Fatfish.  It is the smaller one; 747 I think is the model.  I've owned Eastman, Clam, Eskimo pop ups and the Fatfish is the best one I've found.  Seems like they set up easier because of their shape and they seem to shed the wind easier too.  I would highly recommend them.  As far as insulation, I had the insulated Base Camp from Clam.  In my opinion, the insulation is not worth it.  I've found that if you just use a fan inside, it takes care of any condensation issues.  The insulation adds some weight and bulk to the shelter when it is folded up.  What I found is that during tear down, the insulated fabric gets really stiff and makes it very difficult to get it back in the carry bag.  The uninsulated fabric doesn't get stiff like the insulated stuff does.  I've fished in mine in some nasty, nasty weather and if you have a fan to move the air, you will be just fine. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Holehopper -

Could I ask if your Fatfish is this year's model or last's?  I assume probably from last year based on what you wrote, but I would really like to hear from someone who has the "new and improved" Fatfish with the thicker poles and new hubs to see if all the issues were resolved.

Thanks either way.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Last year's model.  I had it set up and taken down probably 40 times over the course of the season.  Had it out in a blizzard on Winnie and performed really well every time.  No problem with poles or hubs on my end, but if they are improving them, all the better. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:37 PM »
From what I can tell from the website they look almost the same except for the color of the outside material.  I haven't seen either in person so I really don't know. Please correct me where I'm wrong on this.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2012, 10:05 AM »
 Before you buy I would check out the new Clam Bigfoots. I was set to buy a Fatfish 949i this year and ended up going with the new Bigfoot XL4000T. Its cheaper,bigger,and the bag is a lot better than the bag Eskimo has for the Fatfish. The new Clam is also taller in the corners so u can stand up in the corners. When I fish I normally have one or two guys with me so we all go to a corner. With the Fatfish u can not stand up in the corners or at least I cann't which I'm 6' tall. I went with the insulated because I sometimes leave my hut up over night so I hope it will cut down on the frost the next morning when I come back to fish. I did have the QF4 but it is a very tall hut that has a moisture barrier which is nice but I felt like it being as tall as it was it also caught alot of wind out on the lake. I think you will be happy with the Fatfish or the Clam Bigfoot I just recommend looking at both before you make the purchase. I did do a review on my Bigfoot XL 4000T which has pictures.
 Good Luck!
  Matt

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2012, 10:41 AM »
i would go with the fat fish @)

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:51 PM »
In comparing the quickfish 4  to fatfish 949, quickfish 4 has more windows, more elbow room, more anchors,  its higher and has the cold air barrier. The fatfish has more floor space, mesh storage pockets, bigger windows and new hub design. They both have 2 doors, 2 vents and 2 gear pockets. I went with the quickfish 4 when I found It for $169 on sale.  I have  never seen the fatfish in person. I just got this info from their catalogue so cant comment on the difference in quality.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2012, 01:21 PM »
I have a FatFish 949 & love it.

Any way you look at it Eskimo anchors are the best.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2012, 12:53 AM »
It might sound silly but I like the Fatfish because of the black and red material, it makes a nice contrast.  LOL  I like the idea of the cold air barrier but I don't know if I really need it since I won't be running a heater and ocassionally a lantern.  I was thinking I could always open a window up a bit to circulate the air to prevent a dripping ceiling.  Also not sure if I really need to go with an insulated model or not.  Part of me says yes because of my Daughter and the other part of me says I don't want to get too warm and over heat. 

Woodsman, you're from Canada and obviously it gets colder than it does here in Pennsylvania, how warm is your 949?  Why did you choose that one over an insulated one?

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:28 AM »
It might sound silly but I like the Fatfish because of the black and red material, it makes a nice contrast.  LOL  I like the idea of the cold air barrier but I don't know if I really need it since I won't be running a heater and ocassionally a lantern.  I was thinking I could always open a window up a bit to circulate the air to prevent a dripping ceiling.  Also not sure if I really need to go with an insulated model or not.  Part of me says yes because of my Daughter and the other part of me says I don't want to get too warm and over heat. 

I don't think you will have to worry about over heating if you are not running a heater. With both Eskimo models windows are removable. I think you will be cold if you get an insulated one or not if not using heater. I use a mr heater Big Buddy. Started with a small heater and upgraded. When I first started ice fishing only using a small heater, I brought some friends out, they got cold and never wanted to come again. The fishing was great but they didn't care.  You will be able to fish longer and your fishing partner will have more fun with a good heater. I recommend a Buddy heater for any hut you choose.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:53 AM »
They are both great as far as pop ups go. And the anchors are worth their weight in gold.

MTA

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:36 PM »
I use the regular Buddy heater.
After the initial heating up it is rarely on high.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Do you ever get a drippy ceiling because of the heater and temperature contrast between outside and inside?

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Do you ever get a drippy ceiling because of the heater and temperature contrast between outside and inside?
A little at times. Caused by the by-product (water) of using a propane heater.
Keeping the windows open a little helps to vent the moisture.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:29 PM »
i use a single burner coleman stove that burns coleman fuel and still have condensation problems. i vent it  well in between flags and when i stretch and it keeps dripping to a minimum.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Bought a Clam Bigfoot XL4000T (thermal) today at Cabelas. The Eskimo Fatfish 949i thermal was $110 more there so that was out. Will see how it holds up.

Offline MSice27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:31 AM »
i just bought the fatfish 949. didnt go with the insulated model. have a heater for the relly cold days. hopefully my pick was good, as i did look at every shelter on the market!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I have a Quickfish 4 and have no problems with dripping from the ceiling with the heat barrier put up. The walls get a bit frosty on a cold windy day. I carry a short handled broom and sweep the frost off the walls before taking it down.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Do you know if you can buy a replacement heat barrier?  I also wonder if you can if it would work in a 949.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:41 AM »
What do you put up to prevent the drippy ceiling?

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Do you know if you can buy a replacement heat barrier?  I also wonder if you can if it would work in a 949.

I don't think the barrier would work in a 949. The 2 huts are a different shape. Also, the Quickfish 4 has built in clips and velcro that the barrier hooks into.

Here is my off ice review of the Quickfish 4 http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=229857.msg2306748#msg2306748

Offline cornerback21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:18 PM »
me and my buddies have own these in the past, and now we all own flipovers. when it gets windy, you will end up spending more time stoping it from becoming a parachute. yes the anchors work. but not all the time. its a pain to put them in and take out, especially in the cold. also on all of our hubs, the corners where the poles meet would rip through the fabric, just from opening and closing. after using it with a heater, you will notice condensation, it will freeze, so when you go to open it up, the paint will chip away, and you will have a lot of pin holes, just after a few uses. hubs are fun when fishing with a few people. dont get me wrong. but not durable at all. think it threw, and go with a flipover, they cost a little more but last a very long time. just my opinion.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Thank you but I need a hub style to take the family.

Offline cornerback21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Clam denali 4

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:24 PM »
I got to take a peak at a Fatfish at a local sporting goods store and from what I saw it looks like it's well made.  We couldn't put it up to check it out completely but it looked good from what I saw.  If anyone picks up a new fatfish or quickfish this year can you post your thoughts on it?  Thanks.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Does the cold air barrier make a big difference.  How much condensation do you get when you're not running a heater?

Offline MSice27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:55 PM »
i ordered the fatfish 949. but they messed up in shipping and sent me the 949i!! lucky me. i set it up the other day. very roomy inside! i can easily fit myself, wife and two kids with gear and have room to spare. it seems very durable. all the places where it is sewn seems heavy duty. easy to set up. i havent ever had an ice shelter before, but after much research i got this one. seems like a great choice. im happy with it... now to get some ice..

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Chris338378 if you ever get down SE PA way and want to see a Clam Bigfoot XL4000T in person let me know. For the money I feel it is hard to beat right now especially considering it is a thermal.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Thank you for the offer but unfortunately I don't get to SEPA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.