Author Topic: Fenwick Elite Tech Ice Rods  (Read 18426 times)

Offline flywatersmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fenwick Elite Tech Ice Rods
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:27 PM »
  L. Anyone pick up a ice blue pro yet?

I've got a couple of them sitting in my basement. They look and feel nice

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I picked one up at an ice show this weekend.  My initial (pre-fishing) feeling is that they are: Too Heavy, Too Floppy (wet noodle tip), Not Sensitive, and the reel seat sucks as you can't position the reel on the rod to be tip heavy like I like it. I compared it to my St. Croix and my Jason Mitchell and so far it is the worst of the three. We will see how it is on the water.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2011, 10:23 PM »
I picked one up at an ice show this weekend.  My initial (pre-fishing) feeling is that they are: Too Heavy, Too Floppy (wet noodle tip), Not Sensitive, and the reel seat sucks as you can't position the reel on the rod to be tip heavy like I like it. I compared it to my St. Croix and my Jason Mitchell and so far it is the worst of the three. We will see how it is on the water.

Which one did you pick up (UL, ML, M, MH). Their ULs seem to have a very soft tip, but also have a nice backbone so I don't see the issue there. Opinions will certainly vary depending on ones tastes.

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:45 PM »
I don't understand the problem with handle grip. My finger rests on the blank...........
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Which one did you pick up (UL, ML, M, MH). Their ULs seem to have a very soft tip, but also have a nice backbone so I don't see the issue there. Opinions will certainly vary depending on ones tastes.

I picked up the UL. It seems like they spent all the money into developing the handle. Don't get me wrong, the handle is nice and the texture/grip is good. What happened though is they spent all the money making a premium handle and then had to skimp and connect it to a poor quality/poor performing blank. I'd take a crapty handle and good blank any day over a good handle and crapty blank.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I bought the 25" UL a few weeks' back; soft tip but I don't think the blank is junk. I like look of the guides, & epoxy job is nice. I paired it w/ a Pinnacle Alyssa CR-15 & it balances out well. Tied on a Fiskas 4mm & transmits a nice tap. We'll see how it works on ice... good value for $30 IMO
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2011, 11:53 PM »
You have to consider the source of the complaint guys. Not a thing wrong with the blanks on these rods.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:43 AM »
Anyone have the 23" UL? Wondering what the action is like.. I'm looking for a rod for jigging small plastics for bluegill and crappie, with enough backbone that I don't have to fight them for 5 minutes, but a soft enough tip that I can feel/see a light bite.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:21 AM »
You have to consider the source of the complaint guys. Not a thing wrong with the blanks on these rods.

also the fact that that it is all done without even using the rod.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:36 AM »
You can say what you want and also form your own opinion. I compared it to my Jason Mitchell and my St. Croix and it is definitely without a doubt the worst blank of the three. The handle grip/texture is nice that is all. No reason to get butt-hurt if I didn't fall in love with the rods as much as some of you guys. I can't believe some of you guys that don't even own one are trying to argue for them!
-John Buchan

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:13 PM »
  Even though I am not traditionally a fan of reel seats , these are very nice rods for the money .  Your basicly getting a custom rod at production prices .  The blanks are very high quality , with nice open rod eyes and quality finish .  The reel seat is the nicest and most comfortable I have seen .   I prefer a quality rod , over an expensive reel .  Give me a cheap reel with an instant anti-reverse and a smooth drag and a quality rod and I'm happy .

I picked up a 27" m for a walleye rod .  I really like how the rod has a good backbone , yet a soft tip .  I plan to primarily use it for jigging , spoons and plugs.  The soft tip will fool the wariest of eyes , and the backbone will allow me to handle them with ease.

Not every rod will be ideal for every angler .  Variety is the spice of life .  Just looking at a rod in a baitshop isnt good enough for me .  I like to try it first hand in real fishing situations .
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:35 PM »
You can say what you want and also form your own opinion. I compared it to my Jason Mitchell and my St. Croix and it is definitely without a doubt the worst blank of the three. The handle grip/texture is nice that is all. No reason to get butt-hurt if I didn't fall in love with the rods as much as some of you guys. I can't believe some of you guys that don't even own one are trying to argue for them!

This coming from somone that claims he paid 34.99 for a rod he KNOWS retails for 29.99. LOL . I honestlt dont even believe you own one let alone a Jason Mitchell or St croix to compare them to. I have 2 BTW and couldnt agree with Highsparks more.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I love my 25" UL, and I havent even fished it yet. LOL

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:15 PM »
I don't understand the problem with handle grip. My finger rests on the blank...........

It wasn't a problem to reach the blank... can I reach it comfortably ( as in not bother me jigging for 4 hours), no.  If you have large hands or hold the rod differently you may have no problems.    It just seemed to me that Fenwick ( I do have one their HMG rods that I love, we'll see how it holds up though) just downsized their open water rod instead of building a sole purpose ice fishing rod.   Especially when I compare it to one of my St.Croix's, that is obviously a purpose built ice fishing rod.

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Anyone have the 23" UL? Wondering what the action is like.. I'm looking for a rod for jigging small plastics for bluegill and crappie, with enough backbone that I don't have to fight them for 5 minutes, but a soft enough tip that I can feel/see a light bite.

I had one, no, I didn't fish with it.  I don't see how I needed too, it wasn't what I was looking for.   I didn't measure them, but it was ( from what I remember) at least an inch longer than my 24" St.Croix.   It's very soft, I don't know if you could call it a noodle rod, but it's soft.  To each their own, but I'd recommend a faster action rod with a spring bobber.   I also had the medium action and I liked that rod much better than the UL, JMO.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Nov 25, 2011, 04:54 PM »

what you might like is a south bend micro light 24" if they still make them just breath on it ,, well i pulled the trigger on the elite tech ice today first i seen them got the 27" med. and balances perfect with my reel  love the cork handle

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #46 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:20 AM »
It also appears that the pre-production pictures to finished retail product doesn't carry over the finished rod butt either. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Just got a 27 inch Medium at Fleet Farm.  $18.99

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:34 PM »
I was handline the UL (25" I think) at Cabelas on two occasions. I really like the nice soft action of the rod and the fact that a good portion of the rod loads without being whippy. I would have bought it if I didn't already have dozens of other rods. When you buy a rod you have to buy a reel too.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Just my opinion...
But they were close to a homerun - nice blank, cool handle, nice price... but could they have found heavier junkier guides? They kill a nice blank. Again, just my opinion. I have built alot of rods and most would be surprised how much the guides "make" the rod...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.