Author Topic: MY FAVORITE LANTERN BOX  (Read 18590 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
MY FAVORITE LANTERN BOX
« on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I am going to post some pictures of some of my lantern boxes used in my area for first and last ice. They hold a lantern and other supplies and also provide a place to sit. A little better set up that a plastic bucket. I have always enjoyed the differences each box has per owner. Feel free to share pics of your favorite also.

This was my first box given to me by a friend who claimed he was to old to go anymore. It was made by an employee of the Kawneer Co. Maker of store fronts, doors and windows. It holds the smaller size Coleman.

The rod holders are spring loaded. There is a spring on the inside underneath to allow the pole to pull down.

The heat comes up and keeps your hands warm. The handle is spring loaded with detentes that hold in the position you want. One for sitting and the other for carrying.

Nice storage space under the seat.

This storage is for your fish.

I use it allot for scoping out an area. But it also is a good place for the kids.

I will put more of my collection up later, when I get some good pictures of them, with my new camera.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: MY FAVORITE LANTERN BOX
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:46 AM »
This is great, I thought I was allset, ready to go, now I gutta make one of these for in use in my portable/ontario shack! Luv it! Bring on the pics/ideas!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2010, 03:03 PM »
That's a cool set up.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Very nice, may have to borrow that idea and make one for me to use.  looks like it would work great at times.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2010, 06:53 AM »
I you want to make one, hold on and I will post some of the other boxes I have and you can pick the ones you want to copy, or take the ideas and put your own together. I will try to get them out of the basement this week.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Where does one find something like that? Ebay turned up no results. I'd love to have one of those on my solo trips.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2010, 08:52 AM »
In my area they have them at all of the local bait shops. Mostly old guys who make them talk the owners into selling on consignment. They range from 20 dollars to 100 depending on size and materials made to construct them. We live close to the RV capital of the world, so materials are not so hard to come by. The one pictured can be found around my area but the guys won't sell them. Once in awhile I will see one and try and buy it. The Kawneer Co. was famous for store fronts out of aluminum. If you look at the label going in and out of older buildings you will see the name Kawneer. They were the best at making storefronts from aluminum. I don't know how many fishing boxes they made, but I suspect it was an employee doing a little government work for his friends. Keep looking on EBay because I have seen this type of box show up under antique fishing items. I am hoping this post will attract others to show off there favorites also.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:39 AM »
And wouldn't you know it, I found one. I'd want mine to be metal though, not wood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Primitive-Ice-Fishing-Fisherman-Personal-Heater-Box-/260455617371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2010, 11:14 AM »
That was great! Good find! Some crazy ideas at work there. Not sure if it had a glass in the front? Looked like a hood scoop from a hot rod. Probably some gear head made this one.
Also liked the bottom curved sled idea. Don't think it would be too stable, but neat.
 I don't think the person ever sat on it either?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Now for my second box. I found this one it the loft of my barn when I bought the house. I even found a 1948 Coleman lantern in the attic of the house to go with it. This one is a nice place to sit with the wide seat. I can also keep my feet off the ice by placing them on the wood for the runners. The old guy who had it put a piece of laminated safety glass in the front. Not your typical kind of glass but he owned his own glass shop. In one of the pictures you can see that the box was made lower to the ground. Then I suppose old Felix added the sled underneath to keep it out of the snow for pulling. I used this box allot for hauling out my tip ups and coffee pots. I would also use it for scouting around, so I had a place to sit before I came back to the shanty. I added the rope and the piece of wood across the front to hold the plastic rod holders. I set up with my back to the wind the put the rods in the holders and figure where to drill the holes.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:36 AM »
This is a carry box with a shoulder strap. I never used it but liked the swing out tackle tray. Never did figure out where the heat would go if I put the glass in it. I use it for a display in my basement.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I picked this up at a garage sale. Never used it. Yet! I like several things about this design. You can move it easily by grabbing the handle above the lantern. It has some blocks added to let the heat out without having to lift the lid. The storage compartment was left short so you can stick fishing poles down inside and close the lid. I did fix it up just in case someone needed to borrow it.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Another yard sale find. This one is open on the side toward you when you sit on it. You reach in and carry it. It balances pretty good while carrying. The owner cut a slot in the back for his poles so the lid closes completely.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:46 AM »
This one I got at a neighborhood sale. The guy just sat it out and said he was moving to Florida. He couldn't believe someone would want it. I bought this box and an old spoon auger for 15 bucks. The box had all kind of antique jigs and such. The design of this box is for carrying. I like the way the metal wraps around the hole thing for strength. There is a heat shield for the lantern. When the metal was wrapped around they left a space in the back of the box for poles. This is why the seat hinges to the side. I use this box to protect my lantern and hold other items, like fuel and such. I would put a shorter lantern in it if I was to use it for fishing.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:48 AM »
So there's some ideas for you guys. Go start you own collection!

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:23 PM »
WOW!! How cool!  Thanks for sharing!    I've been ice fishing Western South Dakota for 30 years, and I have never seen one of these.  Kinda makes me feel like I missed out on something.

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:39 PM »

michianafisherman..... Now you wouldn't happen to be Addicted to Icefishing would You???

Really shows how spoiled we are in our Modern Day Icefishing compared to what our ForeFathers endured out on the Ice
to catch a feed of fish for Dinner.
 Thanks for Sharing those Neat Pieces of Equiment with us.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Michiana!
Cool boxes! I had one old box I redid and wished I never got rid of it. If you want to get rid of any I have a Keeper dlx
I want to get rid of. Great pics! ;D
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:34 AM »
I've never seen a Lantern box. I find it fascinating. Thanks for the post.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:09 AM »
I started with these kind of boxes so I find it fascinating that others have never seen one. I can remember when all of my fishing items would fit into one box. Less the auger of course. It was nice to sit in front of the TV and get my stuff ready. I am glad that others are getting enjoyment from looking at the several designs. I have some friends that have some more modern designs with padded seats and nicer materials. I will try to get them to bring em over sometime so I can shoot some pics of them.

In the meantime, I will put them back in the basement. I use them for decoration by putting crank up LED lanterns into them. I use the larger ones for end tables and to hold some old ice fishing items.

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:23 AM »
Michiana, you never cease to amaze me !  ;D I remember Gramps talking about these Lantern boxes, but I'd never seen one until now ! It always amazes me, the ingenuity of the old school ice fishermen. Thanks for posting these photos of these crafty lantern sleds !  :thumbsup:

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:41 PM »
I can't believe I have never seen one of these!!! :o  What a fantastic idea....I've got visions of mine now!  Just when I thought I was done modifying my ice fishing arsenal for the summer.  Thanks for showing us your collection, that's really cool.

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Amazing...when I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of camping laterns like Colemans.  These are impressive!

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 07, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Amazing...when I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of camping laterns like Colemans.  These are impressive!

Yes they are camping lanterns from Coleman. I use both the short and tall double mantel versions in them. Some of my friends use the propane doubles but they are higher and require a taller box.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Michiganfisherman, You have quite a collection. I have seen many a box like the ones you have. Today when I'm on the ice I usually have a couple of guys stop by and take a look. They think my box is something new!  ;D
What with the modern day Clams, etc., don't see many of these anymore. I like the portability and I use longer rods.
When the temps get below 20 I watch TV. Anything above that, with a good snowmobile suit with the wind at your back, and heat in your face, I go!!!!!!!!!
thanks for sharing pictures and good memories.
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I still use them inside my shanty to hold the lantern. They also keep the lantern safe in the back of the van. I can relate to those good times with the wind at your back.

Offline BMW20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2010, 04:21 PM »
A person like myself that likes to build, fiddle and tinker with things does not need to be seeing things such as this. Now i'm gonna have to make my own version ;D

Very cool set up OP

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:28 PM »
I have to make me one of these.  Just what I need, more stuff!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:17 AM »
Must have? I started thinking on this and decided you are right. I can't seam to fish without one. I can't leave the house without a trusty lantern box. I can forget the bait and other silly items, but not the lantern box!

Offline JaRoHe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Isn't She a Beauty!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Ever heard of one of these going up in flames???  Just curious whether the heat from the lantern would set the wood on fire???

I suppose proper venting of the lantern compartment is essential!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.