Author Topic: Electric Fillet Knives  (Read 4807 times)

Offline oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Fillet Knives
« on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:39 AM »
What is your experience with electric fillet knives?  Do you like them?  Advantages/disadvantages, 110 or 12 volt, preferred brand, any information welcome.  Thanks

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
Re: Electric Fillet Knives
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:50 AM »
I have tried one and I did not care for it I dont like to pick threw bones and when I used it I alway cut right threw the bones.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I have used hamilton beach 110 ....also battery powered  mister twister...but by far the best i ever used is the rapala model pgefac...it is 110...comes in plastic case, 2 sets of blades, 10 ft. power cord,the blades have enough flexiabilty to remove rib bones from the fillet...super sharp....i bought mine 2 yrs. ago for around 25 to 30 dollars...it also has cleaning board that snaps in and out on the bottom of the case....check them out i think you will like it....

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:26 PM »
I've been using an electric fillet knife for as long as I can remember. I can't believe there are people still using a regular knife ???. I got a black & decker slim grip from walmart probably 10 years ago and still use it. Just like Mac said, behind the gill to the backbone, zip to the tail, flip the wrist, slip off the skin, then use a regular knife to cut out the ribs. The biggest thing that I have seen is don't bend the blades or stuff will get between them and then not work.
       Jim

Offline reefrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Need more holes!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:52 PM »
I've been using a Rapala brand elec. knife for 2 years now and I love it- you can out-fillet regular knives by as much as 5:1. The nice thing about the model I bought is that you can use a 110v or a 12v power source. I have buddies that have purchased rechargeable units and they seem to poop out very fast. They do take a few fish to get used to them but once you get used to them you'll wonder why it took you so long to buy one.

Offline oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 04:49 PM »
The one I was looking at was the Rapala 110v or 12 volt.  Comes in a case with extra blade.  I think after reading the responses, that is the one I'm gonna pickup this weekend.  So you use the electric to cut through the rib cage on both sides of the back bone, and then remove the cage from the fillet?  Do you do it this way with all size fish or just the pans?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005, 05:11 PM »

I love my electric knife...I usually get about 2 years out of a Black and Decker...I would not suggest a cordless electric fillet knife, the ones that I have used are quite a bit heavier than the corded models and cause nasty hand fatigue and even hand cramps if you are cleaning enough fish.

Offline reefrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Need more holes!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:07 PM »
You can cut through the rib cage and remove the bones after( easiest & fastest) or use the electric to go right down the backbone as you would with a normal fillet knife. The other thing that I have learned is that the LONGER of the two sets of blades is much easier to use, I think you have more control with knife but you'll have to experiment and see which way and which set of blades is easier for you to use.

Northerner

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:55 PM »
I have been using one for about 5 years now. First was an American Angler from Walmart. Works Great. Bought a second to leave on the boat I found the rapala 110 V 12 Volt. Found it not rto have the same power as the American Angler. Tok it bacl and bought anothe American Angler Ultra. 3 blades and case on sale for 30.00 at Bass Pro Shop in Detroit. Works Excellent. Lots of power fro Salmon and Steelhead. I gave may Father in law a Rapala 110Volt it is much stronger than the dual voltage.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Aren't you electric knife guys worried about contaminating the meat?  I assume that if you are cutting thru the ribcage, you are also cutting thru the guts & spreading it all over your fillet.  Seems messy.  ???

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:12 AM »
Im with Mac.  Ive cleaned 1000's of perch with my electric.  Fillets and skin comes off with the electric and scoop out the ribcage with a sharp knife.  Nothing easier.  Except having someone else do it.....

Offline shellback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:22 AM »
went to wal-mart yesterday morning and picked up a rapala deluxe for $40.filleted out 10 fish in about 10 mins.I love it.the fish were left in the sled overnight so they were somewhat frozen which seemed to work even better.the reason I got the rapala is you can run it off a 12v adapter and it has 18 ft of cord so I'll be able to run it right off the sled and fillet them right on the ice for the occasional fish fry on ice.I'm just wondering how long the blades will stay sharp.it comes with the clips to connect to a battery.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:25 AM »
I'm just wondering how long the blades will stay sharp.

In my experience, the unit usually wears out before that happens (by wearing out, I mean the switch and/or gears wear out)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I just got the Rapala pgef1 for christmas.  It's 12 volt but comes with a 110 volt adapter.  Can't wait for a day off so I can go "get 'er bloody". LOL
Darkhouse

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:17 AM »
I would be lost without an electric knife. I have used the B&D slimgrip and for the last 4 years I have had the Mr. Twister ($19.99) it is time for a new one now the switch is getting bad. It has down a lot of fish and has always been great. I don't like the curly cord as much as the straight cord but that is minor.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:29 AM »
I love my electric fillet knife for cleaning panfish.  I especially like the retractable coiled cord on the Mister Twistew.  I don't know what the real term is, it's like a telephone cord.  It does a great job of staying out of the way.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Fishmon

« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:48 AM »
I purchased the rapala 120/12 v unit several years ago and love.  Just filleted and packaged 50 perch that would have been a real chore without electric knife.  Just zip down backbone, flip over, zip down against skin, carve out rib cage with sharp fillet knife and on to next side.  Could not be easier and you are a lot less likely to cut yourself with a sharp fillet knife if you get careless.  I drop carcass into a garbage can on one side and fillets into a small pail full of clean water and ice cubes.  Once you get your act together, it is really easy.  I like the longer blades that come with unit.  They seem easier to use for some reason.

As far as bacteria go, the sooner you get to work, the better.  Keep fish cold, but not frozen.  Filleting frozen fish will wear out or over heat the motor in your electric knife.

Offline oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:55 PM »
I decided to order the American Angler MT3 110-volt from Cabelas.  I am always near an outlet when I am filleting fish so the extra power of the 110-volt might be nice. The MT3 has narrow blades and they say the all metal transmission last longer.  Time will tell.  I'll post when it comes in and I get a chance to use it.  I am not sure when that will be, no luck the last 2 times out.

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Elctric knife all the way and and nice fillet knife to debone
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:19 PM »
I love my electric knife.  It is so much quicker that the traditional knife. If you do it right, you do not get any bones in the fish.  You do lose a little bit on meet.  We set up a two person system when we fillet perch.  One person cuts the fillets off and skins them.  The other person cuts out the ribs with the traditional knife.  It goes really fast.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:53 PM »
I have finally broken down and ordered the electric Rapala knife.  It was a hard decision to make but after being a diehard pursist when it comes to fileting fish and spending almost an hour and a half evertyime to filet 25 some bluegills by hand I have finally decided to try the electric deal as hard as it was to do.   :-\  It's on the way.  I still refuse to use tip-ups but that's a whole nother story.  ;D  BTW if you see me ever using tipups please kill me.  :D  I still will not use an electic knife to filet my walleyes but for a mess of gills or perch it just takes too long by hand for me anymore.  2 hours is too long to spend cleaning 30 panfish after being out on the ice for a while. 
Tipups???...I thought jigging was the only way  ;) ;D

Offline applejacks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:03 PM »
An hour and a half to do 25 fish?  Wow, time for a change of cleaning methods!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:56 AM »
I love my electric knife...I usually get about 2 years out of a Black and Decker...I would not suggest a cordless electric fillet knife, the ones that I have used are quite a bit heavier than the corded models and cause nasty hand fatigue and even hand cramps if you are cleaning enough fish.

I am strictly electric... unless for some reason I don't have mine with me.  I just bought my dad a cordless for Christmas actually (can't remember the manufacturer/model right now but got it on sale for $39.99).  We've both used it and after getting used to the feel of it after the first few fillets - it worked just as good as the corded.  I think you're right they are a BIT heavier than the corded models... but I haven't experienced any hand cramping yet?!  Maybe we aren't catching/cleaning as many fish as you are!!! LOL  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.