Author Topic: Filling 1# Propane Tanks  (Read 19018 times)

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
Re: Little green bombs!
« Reply #30 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:25 PM »
You're right. I just looked and they do list a filter and recommend it be changed annually.

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I believe the impurities they are referring to are from the inside of the bottle itself, ie, rust from the inside of the bottle, the impurities are not coming from the propane itself. This is my understanding of this, so I could definitely be talking out of my behind on this one, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Mooks

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2009, 01:58 PM »
When I purchased the hose for my Big Buddy Heater, the guy at Fleet Farm said that if you don't get the "Green" hose you need a filter.
The cheap hose can have problems with dry rot etc, and that can plug up your heater.

The price difference was only a couple of dollars, which I saved by not needing the filter.

4 seasons with my buddy heater, and 1 with my Big buddy heater, and no problems.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 04, 2009, 12:00 PM »
Wieners got it. The problem is with the hose not the lp. Always thought about refilling, but they were cheap. Every year the price keeps going up. The $20 adapter is getting more "cost effective." :)

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 04, 2009, 07:15 PM »
haven't bought another green bomb in 4 years

been refillin and refillin

I collect used ones from folks such as yourself to keep my rotation numbers up  ;D
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:34 PM »
I wonder what i'll do with all my left over cylinders?  BURN BARREL MAYBE  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

KABOOM!!!
hold my beer and watch this  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2009, 09:14 PM »
How much money does this save?

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #37 on: Oct 06, 2009, 09:17 PM »
This is already the Best Thread Title of the Year...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 06, 2009, 09:38 PM »
How much money does this save?

A 20# tank costs me between $15 & $17.  I can fill 15-17 1# tanks with it.  That figures out to about a dollar a bottle.  We are giving $2 - $2.50 each for new bottles from Wally World.

Jeff

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:09 AM »
and don't forget the added cost of putting these things in a landfill and/or recycling them
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
NYFOA Member

Offline theseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 08, 2009, 09:53 AM »
im going to start filling my own also... My local bait shop charges $3.50 ea!!!! supply and demand i guess.. Ive heard that the 1pounders fill better if u put them in the freezer for an hr or so. Is this true? Also is it possible to overfill the green grenades?

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 08, 2009, 12:13 PM »
6 of one - half a dozen of another

you do get more in the bottle if the big tank is warm and the greenies are very cold

OR.....you can get yourself a small pair of needle nose pliers - fill the greenie as much as possible if they are both the same temp, then keep it attached and pull the valve release on top of the greenie (you may want to wear a glove to keep the cold propane from hitting your hand). This releases some space to fill with more propane. It takes a little practice to do it quickly and efficiently.
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
NYFOA Member

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 08, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I could see someone doing that with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. BOOM!

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 11, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I got sick of the disposables and bought a 5lbs tank.  It's cheap to get refilled and doesn't take much room.  I don't mind dealing with the hose attachment.  All those empty disposable containers don't seem very environmentally friendly.

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #44 on: Oct 12, 2009, 09:09 PM »
I could see someone doing that with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. BOOM!
Been there-dun-that!  With out the boom.  Propane need to be at 60% concentration to go boom!  THE MAJOR HAZARD IS STATIC WHEN YOU ARE CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING AND ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF SPARKS WHEN YOU ARE USING METAL PLIERS ON THE METAL RELIEF VALVE IF THE PLIERS SLIP OFF.
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2009, 04:05 AM »
im going to start filling my own also... My local bait shop charges $3.50 ea!!!! supply and demand i guess.. Ive heard that the 1pounders fill better if u put them in the freezer for an hr or so. Is this true? Also is it possible to overfill the green grenades?
Yeah if you can, set your full 20# tank in the sun to warm it up.  Put the 1#'s in the freezer for about an hour.  Doing it this way will fill them up nice and plump.  After you fill them be sure to leave them outside and check for leaks with a soap and water solution.  f-n-f

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 18, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Went by Harbor Frieght yesterday. They have the Mac coupler on sale for $17.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:33 AM »
So, if the little bottles are $2-$2.50, and you are filling them at a $1 a bottle, you are saving $1-$1.50. Add your time and the hassle and it's a wash.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:42 AM »
So, if the little bottles are $2-$2.50, and you are filling them at a $1 a bottle, you are saving $1-$1.50. Add your time and the hassle and it's a wash.

In my opinion it's not a wash at all.  I went through about a hundred of the one pound bottles last winter, and expect to go through more this winter.  $100 - $150 in savings buys a lot of jigs and bait!  And the "time and hassle" is no problem for me.  I get my 20# cylinder filled on my way home from work, which takes about 10 minutes time, and I don't consider it a hassle to refill the 1 pound bottles.  I actually enjoy it just like I enjoy the other things I do getting equipment ready and preparing to enjoy my passion for ice fishing.

Jeff

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:30 AM »
Can someone explain the proper way to do this in detail? Or point me to the right information.  I'm pretty sure refilled green tanks are illegal to transport, but I don't really see whats unsafe about it.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:41 AM »
Put the empty 1# bottle in the freezer for about half an hour.  The 20# bulk tank should be room temperature or let it warm in the sun a bit.  Do the refilling outside away from any spark or flame hazard.  Connect the refill adapter to the bulk tank, then screw the straight out of the freezer 1# bottle to the adapter.  Turn the bulk tank upside down and open the valve.  You will hear the 1# bottle filling.  When you do not hear the liquid transferring any more, close the valve on the bulk tank and turn it upright.  Unscrew the 1# bottle from the adapter.  You will have a small amoutn of propane leak as you remove the 1# bottle.  Check the 1# bottle for leaks using some soapy water, just as you would any propane connection.  If you detect any leaks, leave the 1# bottle outside until it leaks off all of the propane, then dispose of properly.

I have yet to have one leak after refilling, and I've refilled some of them around 10 times.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

P.S.  The above procedure is what I do, and I have never had a problem.  This does not mean you will not have a problem, and I assume no responsibility for any problems you may have by following my procedure.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Two years ago I refilled my 1#ers. Last year I just bought them. I got afraid of filling them in the house. Now would probably be a good time to fill them out in the garage. I used a hanger wraped around the base of my 20 lb tank and hung it from a rafter. I would just refill one bottle after another. I always had bottles to keep me warm. The only other thing that put me off was teh "Illegal to Transport" issues. Why would they sell a refill coupler if you can't take the refilled bottle(s) with you?
jbird68

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:32 PM »
I have no idea why you're not supposed to transport them. I need someone to explain that law to me.  There was probably a car accident in which a leaking can caught fire one time and the DOT pulled a knee jerk reaction.  But that's just one theory.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:13 AM »
Why would they sell a refill coupler if you can't take the refilled bottle(s) with you?

Just a thought...... taking them ice fishing is not the only use for these 1 lb cylanders. I know for many of us... ice fishing is all there is...lol.... but some people actually use them at home too........

Or... it may be option #2.... it could be kind of like buying fireworks in wisconsin....  it is illegal to fire off ANY firework that lifts off the ground....... I can purchase fireworks that are illegal for me to shoot off as long as I buy the liscence to transport them.... still illegal to shoot off... but you can legally own and transport them......

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Oct 22, 2009, 06:53 AM »
that is a dot requirement for Commerce!  Not affecting the consumer
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:32 AM »
how can they tell they were refilled anyway???

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Oct 22, 2009, 04:14 PM »
dont matter if your not selling them
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #57 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:32 PM »
 We disposed over 150 propane bombs this year. First we built a large bonfire. Then we lined up canisters from 1-20 lbs., in front of the fire.
We started out with the 30/30... then shotgun,..even a 22 came out.
Good target practice with a great show. All metals went to rescaled metals with a payback.
 This stuff burns clean. The hasmat is when it's released into the air unburnt. 150 leaks, to save 150 dollars x 150,000,000 people= problem.
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Watch out for shrapnel, you'll put your eye out. :o

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #59 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:11 PM »
Watch out for shrapnel, you'll put your eye out. :o

Not one tank blew up. The bullet put a clean hole thru the tank, and the fire caught the gas and burnt it in one shot. The tanks didn't fly like expected, some didn't even fall over. I agree we should recycle as much as possible, but there are so many tanks a man can use. I collect them from the wild and will not afford the proper disposal. We really do not use this 1 pound gas canister. A candle burns twice as long. Please take out what you bring in. Thank you.   :-\  paul
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.