The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cold Predictions  (Read 6621 times)

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cold Predictions
« on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:49 AM »
If you sift through the jargon, it sounds like we may have some hope yet... 

Information taken from: https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

"Impacts

I feel like it is déjà-vu all over again with a strong stratospheric polar vortex (PV) in December leading to a positive AO and a relatively mild pattern across the Northern Hemisphere as we head into January.  Reminds me most recently of winters 2015/16 and 2016/17.  In 2015/16 possibly the combination of a westerly quasi biennial oscillation (QBO) and super El Nino lead to an anomalously strong, possibly even an all-time record strong PV that I would argue contributed to an overall mild winter.  January was surprisingly cold in the Eastern US given the record strong PV in large part because a cyclone penetrated unusually far north into the central Arctic bringing with it anomalous heat and humidity that triggered a tropospheric negative AO event.  Eventually though in February and especially March the PV became more disrupted and contributed to at least episodic more severe winter weather.

In 2016/17, the PV started off record weak in the fall and at one point the models were predicting one of the earliest major warmings (where the zonal mean zonal wind at 10hPa and 60°N reverses from positive to negative) ever observed in November.  But the major warming never materialized the PV quickly strengthened, coupled with the surface and the AO was positive in January with relatively mild temperatures across the NH.  Again, the PV became more perturbed in February and contributed to more episodic severe winter weather in February and March.

This winter the PV weakened in November heading into December but the PV weakening fell well short of major warming status, despite model forecasts to the contrary.  The PV has since recovered and has been on the stronger side of normal and this has coupled with the surface contributing to a positive AO to at least kick-off January accompanied by a relatively mild pattern across the NH.  In the Eastern US the mild patter will be interrupted briefly by colder temperatures early next week.  I would attribute this interruption in the mild pattern to a relatively minor and short-lived reflective PV disruption.  But once the forcing from the PV disruption abates by late next week, it makes sense to me that Madden Julian Oscillation forcing should dominate North American weather.  MJO is predicted to be in a fairly robust phase five which favors ridging south of the Aleutians troughing in western North America and more ridging in the Eastern US.  However, Canada is predicted to remain cold and storms traversing North America can tap into this reservoir of cold resulting in at least short-term cold air outbreaks. Also I do believe that the models are overly sensitive to tropical forcing and they could adjust colder with time.

But like in 2016 and again 2017 I expect the PV to become more disrupted. Increasing at least episodic severe winter weather.  Our polar vortex model is predicting a weakening of the PV from the very end of the second into the third week of January.  Though I am certain the predicted weakening in the model is overdone, the model at least usually matches the trend in the PV.  Also based on what I see from the ECMWF stratospheric winds a much more defined reflective layer is predicted to form in the stratosphere so if nothing else I would expect more reflective PV disruptions.  So, though January looks to start off relatively mild in the Eastern US or at least seasonable given the cold air from the reflective event next week, I expect an increasing risk of cold weather related to PV disruptions.  The risk for cold weather is probably aided by the warm sea surface temperatures in the eastern North Pacific that favors mid-tropospheric ridging in the region.

Whatever probability of cold weather that I see for the Eastern US, I anticipate lower probabilities for Europe with the possible exception of the Mediterranean region.  Outside of the higher elevations, Europe has seen little winter weather this year.  And with the AO predicted to be positive into the foreseeable future, there is little reason to expect that to change.  Though the GFS is predicting higher probabilities of snowfall across Central and Eastern Europe than I might have expected given the positive AO.  And without a large PV disruption, I have a hard time imagining an extended period of winter weather across Europe for the reminder of the winter.

Admittedly I don’t have some insightful analysis as to why I expect the PV to become more disrupted with time other than to point to other recent winters.  It does seem blocking in the North Atlantic sector would go a long way to disrupting the PV and none is apparent in the short term.  Also, I would say a major warming is not likely this winter given that we had a major warming each of the past two winters.  Three winters in a row is not unprecedented but fairly uncommon."

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cold Predictions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Whoa.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Yeah...I'm looking for hope...

Offline shaved ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:46 PM »
**censored** !!!!

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Man that was tough reading gave me a headache!!! These up and down winters have been going on for eions.I started ice fishing when I was 16 im now and old 70!!! there were winters were we had ice almost two feet thick 1977 was one of those years weather people called it 2nd coming of the ice ageLOL. then we had some winters where there was little or no safe ice kinda like now it varies and goes in cycles.there no doubt climate is changing it does almost every single day.We will get ice again I just hope im around long enough to get out againLOL

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:35 PM »
We were in Niagara last year in January (not fishing, hockey tournaments) and it was really cold. Falls frozen, river frozen etc.. Only to drive back east to see most of the lakes barely capped except for the usual cold spots in NEPA.

Fingers crossed. It will get cold and stays cold so we have more options one where to go and can be are fishing hard water into March.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:41 PM »
I don't know what all that means, heck for all I know it could be the combination to Fort Knocks but one thing I do know is I have a major case of ice and cold withdrawal.  At this rate I'm going to take up a collection to get a tanker of liquid nitrogen to freeze up a lake or two.  Anyone want to chip in?   :tipup:

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:48 PM »
I don't know what all that means, heck for all I know it could be the combination to Fort Knocks but one thing I do know is I have a major case of ice and cold withdrawal.  At this rate I'm going to take up a collection to get a tanker of liquid nitrogen to freeze up a lake or two.  Anyone want to chip in?   :tipup:

Tell me where to sign.

Offline jdfoxpro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dorothy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:47 PM »
The polar vortex is going to weaken and become more egg shaped , around 20 of Jan. . That shape will allow cold air now trapped in the arctic to spill into the eastern part of the mid west and north east and a whole pattern shift will become prevalent , which should make ice very quickly in the north eastern part of the country . On the ice by the last week of the month .

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:59 PM »
The polar vortex is going to weaken and become more egg shaped , around 20 of Jan. . That shape will allow cold air now trapped in the arctic to spill into the eastern part of the mid west and north east and a whole pattern shift will become prevalent , which should make ice very quickly in the north eastern part of the country . On the ice by the last week of the month .

Sounds like a plan to me. But then how long will it last?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2020, 04:32 AM »
Another tease ice making weather yesterday and last night.....hear comes spring....rollercoaste r winter.

Offline jdfoxpro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dorothy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Sounds like a plan to me. But then how long will it last?

Take it to the bank ! Usually a pattern shift last at lest 2 weeks and could last till March .

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Looks like cold is coming after the 16th. Next few days between now and then are looking really bad for ice making with rain and warm temps. Let’s hope what we have hoods up and tightened up for the 25th.
These mild winters only make everyone sick, literally and for ice fisherman figuratively.
Here in the Southeast corner of PA the grass is still green. 🤬

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Looks like cold is coming after the 16th. Next few days between now and then are looking really bad for ice making with rain and warm temps. Let’s hope what we have hoods up and tightened up for the 25th.
These mild winters only make everyone sick, literally and for ice fisherman figuratively.
Here in the Southeast corner of PA the grass is still green. 🤬
This keeps up i might have to mow again  ::)

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2020, 09:00 AM »

I wish i had that problem ... my dogs turned my yard to mud ... complete mud ... I want a hard freeze just so i don't have to wipe their paws after every trip to the yard

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2020, 09:20 AM »
ouch december 27 2019 had mower out in a short sleeve shirt trying to pick up falls leaves  :%$#!: winter came an gone, came an gone, came, and now going again going,going,gone!!!!!
still dont have the 2020 license yet :cookoo:
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:32 PM »
me neither mo didnt even get my crap together yet.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:39 PM »
Doesn't look promising.  I'm going to start jigging in the bathtub!!

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:09 AM »
ice attic let us know how you do.and which is better the back or near the drain?

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Lol. :o :tipup:

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:46 AM »
If the weather wizards are right (I wont hold my breath), it looks like we'll start making ice Thursday night...  Cross your fingers.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:04 PM »
If the weather wizards are right (I wont hold my breath), it looks like we'll start making ice Thursday night...  Cross your fingers.
Ill cross all my fingers  ;)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:45 PM »
I like what the future looks like in the forecast.  Unfortunately I might be out for a long time with a back issue that I cannot get rid of.  I been walking with a cane at times and I'm too young for that :(

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:05 PM »
Not good Bigfoot

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Ill cross my fingers and toes.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2020, 01:08 AM »
Doesn't look promising.  I'm going to start jigging in the bathtub!!
Hopefully you don't catch any brown trout :sick:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Starting this Thursday they're calling for lows in the teens which is good but the problem is they're calling for 5 to 8 inches of snow on Saturday during the day and then another 1 to 3 inches of snow Saturday night.  Hopefully we don't get all that snow because it'll mess up the ice making.  If we do get it the best thing to happen is it sinks the ice that's formed and floods the snow. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Starting this Thursday they're calling for lows in the teens which is good but the problem is they're calling for 5 to 8 inches of snow on Saturday during the day and then another 1 to 3 inches of snow Saturday night.  Hopefully we don't get all that snow because it'll mess up the ice making.  If we do get it the best thing to happen is it sinks the ice that's formed and floods the snow.

Was thinking the same exact thing, kinda hoping not too much ice forms before that snow hits and if it does I hope it's less than a half inch so it sinks that ice.  Actually think further south might be alright because I don't think your goin to get much ice to form before that big storm.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2020, 06:50 PM »
I saw that snow forecast and was thinking the same thing. Fortunately most of the lakes and ponds in my area got opened up with all of the warm temps, rain and then the wind finished the ice off. Hopefully the snow doesn't mess up the areas that still have ice. Places that have deteriorated ice and snow on top could make for some very interesting conditions. Stay safe everyone.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:11 AM »
even if a lake is capped over, 5-8" of snow isn't going to hurt much. Especially if there's a wind blowing to clear some off the lake. All it will do is make you use yer Smitty sled!!! Now all ya gotta do is find a lake that still has decent ice on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.