Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 76013 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No, they just swapped drills for me and kept the charger and battery, but said "here why don't you keep the bag".  I was like ok sure.  :)

I already got the LSA swapped too.

Oh, by the way,  this kit I linked is $159 and I seen a bare 9ah batteries on the shelf on sale for $99, so $259 isn't a horrible deal for the drill, 2 batteries (9ah and 3ah), and a bag.

Related, has anybody bought the $39 mini radio that pairs with this battery?  Thoughts?  I bought the phone charger, works great.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
no, but iwas wondering what toys I could buy to run!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Related, has anybody bought the $39 mini radio that pairs with this battery?  Thoughts?  I bought the phone charger, works great.

I haven't bought the radio, but I did get this light and like it a lot. It's great for picking up after dark on the ice and can hang in a shanty.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-GEN5X-Cordless-Flood-Light-Tool-Only-with-Detachable-Light-R8694620B/207041056

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
I bet that's bright!

OANN the real story

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
I bet that's bright!

The best part is that it's dimmable. :)

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have the light also and it's great.   Lasts forever and is pretty dam bright! I would like to get the radio at some point also. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I bought it and returned it your better off with a blue version truthfully.. the only way to hook phone to it is a cord..  if cord breaks your sol .. now blue tooth you can play music threw it and listen to the radio.. there are free apps that play radio stations etc threw blue tooth..  I find it more bang for the buck..  by the way the band that holds your mp3 player..  not phone in the back is way to small for a phone.. like a galaxy type phone or I phone..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
no, but i was wondering what toys I could buy to run!

i have these and take the light canon for spot checking and the panel light for hub fishing.
2500 lumen spot, adjustable, dual power
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-18-Volt-Dual-Power-Light-Cannon-R8694220B/207041035

2500 lumen panel, adjustable, hybrid. i have the tripod, but you can buy the light with out it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hybrid-Panel-Light-Kit-with-7-ft-Universal-Stand-with-1-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-R8694221SB/302905073

their fan is nice too.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Cordless-Hybrid-Fan-Tool-Only-R860720B/205907844

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
I can't think of any ice fishing application... but the ridgid 4 angle grinder is pretty impressive. We bought one of the 5 tool kits for work and added the 4.5" angle grinder. Ended up using it far more than I would have expected and it has held up very well.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just picked up the $159 combo with the hammer drill, charger, 3.0 ah battery and contractor bag, going to pair it with a 6" strike master auger. For my style of fishing where I usually fish alone, park in a spot and move maybe once or twice drilling 3-4 holes per spot, it should do just fine. Gotta love the LSA, too.

Going to take it out tomorrow and give it a whirl, should have 18" of ice or so to drill through, should be a good test.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can't think of any ice fishing application... but the ridgid 4 angle grinder is pretty impressive. We bought one of the 5 tool kits for work and added the 4.5" angle grinder. Ended up using it far more than I would have expected and it has held up very well.

Maybe cleaning those frozen fish?

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So.. Finally got to try my new Rigid 18v octane brushless hammer drill with the 8" Nils.
I was in Maine last week there was 22" of solid ice this set up went through the ice like I was drilling through water.
It beat a 2 different gas powered Jiffy augers hands down I mean no contest at all.
Holes were drilled fast the set up is lite ( at least lighter than a gas auger) it did slip of the chuck twice but little extra torque when tightening fixed that problem. I was up there for 5 days never charged the battery. When a checked at the end of the trip the battery was 1/2 charged. Great drill and auger combo highly recommended!!!!!!

smitty :tipup:

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Smitty was that the 9.0 ah battery? Any guess on how many holes you drilled?

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Smitty was that the 9.0 ah battery? Any guess on how many holes you drilled?
Yes it was the 9.0 Ah battery. Not sure on the hole count.

smitty :tipup:

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
For anyone still considering this combo, I got my Ridgid Octane 1300 in/lb hammer drill with 3.0 ah battery out tonight and wanted to report on its performance. I paired it with a 6" black strikemaster auger bit and drilled 27 holes through 17" of ice. I drilled the first 6 holes at around 4:45, then let the drill sit until about 8:00 and wanted to see how many holes I could drill. Drilled 21 more holes and the drill quit on the 22nd hole. Outside temperature was 15-20 degrees. I am 100% pleased with this and cant believe I didn't switch sooner!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
GB ...now get the 9amphr battery and you can drill to ice out on same charge!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
I have a ridged x4 (returned it for cut out problems) got the x5 brushless with 4ah batteries. seemed to work good for a season with mora 8". Then this year is has been cutting out really bad, both batteries even fully charged.. sent the drill for warranty and picked up the new Octane. right out of the box, first attempt on my old 4ah batteries it shut down after quarter turn! So now im thinking it must be my batteries! Ridgid sends me 2 new 4ah batteries..give them a full charge and SAME PROBLEM! So now I have 2 Ridgid drill (x5 and octane) 4-4ah batteries and I get quarter turns out of every tool...Not sure what the deal is. Mora cuts great when it will spin..but I am about to give up on ridged.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I have a ridged x4 (returned it for cut out problems) got the x5 brushless with 4ah batteries. seemed to work good for a season with mora 8". Then this year is has been cutting out really bad, both batteries even fully charged.. sent the drill for warranty and picked up the new Octane. right out of the box, first attempt on my old 4ah batteries it shut down after quarter turn! So now im thinking it must be my batteries! Ridgid sends me 2 new 4ah batteries..give them a full charge and SAME PROBLEM! So now I have 2 Ridgid drill (x5 and octane) 4-4ah batteries and I get quarter turns out of every tool...Not sure what the deal is. Mora cuts great when it will spin..but I am about to give up on ridged.
You would think that luck had 2 phases. Good and Bad but it looks like you only got the later. Sorry to hear that.
<===Lefty===

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
everyone needs tto read the drill chuck section of the manual.  I have ran into 3 guys that had problems with chuck coming undone.  read the manual and you will see why.  all three were tightening by holding chuck and hitting trigger.

OANN the real story

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

the octane drill likes octane batteries even tho they say it works with all batteries. i already tested it with gen5x 4amp batteries and it didn't cut anything like the octane 9amp battery does. i also tested the gen5x 780 inch pound brushed drill with octane 9amp battery and all of the combinations failed except for the octane/octane matched system. i tested it on a brand new lazer 8' lazer so i know the blades were new and cutting well. 

a year ago, i also tested my gen5x with gen5x batteries on a 8" lazer with dull blades someone walking onto the ice had and couldn't cut one hole with it. you can listen to the drill motor to know whats going on. i could hear the motor struggle hard with the dull blades on the 8" laser.
for kicks, i tried a 6" lazer on a ridgid 12volt drill on my 6" lazer with sharp blades and it did what i expected it to and that was cut out with the results like your having now.

since you have the octane drill, you'll need the octane battery. it's not to late to return the drill and get the octane drill with 3 amp battery and charger kit for 160$. you'll be surprised the difference it makes when you use the matched system. i wouldn't want the 3amp battery, but it's almost free and comes with charger and a contractors bag.
remember you have 90 days to use anything you buy from hd.

the drill is 150$ tool only. the drill, 3 amp octane battery and charger and bag is 10$ more to try it out. you already have the 150$ into the drill. you missed the free drill with the 9amp battery/charger for 160$ deal that lasted nearly 3 month. xmas is always best time to buy tools. they do price match so if you buy the 9 amp drill kit and keep the drill, you can watch for a price drop on the 9 amp battery/charger kit to see if it goes on sale and make them match the price. i did just that and they gave me back 40$. you need the battery to be sold in a kit to be able to qualify the lsa and the charger/battery is a kit. batteries sold by themselves are not a kit and have only a 3 year warranty.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The battery packs inside are made of smaller cells in series and parallel. They put enough in series to get the required voltage (eg. 20V). Each battery then has so many Amp*hours of energy. It also has a maximum amperage it can supply when fully charged. They add more sets in parallel to get the capacity up. Each set increases the total energy proportionately, and increases the max current the pack can supply by the same amount. While there are electronics in the battery and the drill that may also limit, I have noticed that my larger packs have more torque (which comes from more amps) than the smaller ones. I have 1.5, 3, and 4.5 batteries from different tools, and this seems to track. I have a 5 inch laser and an old gen5 drill, which is no where close to the torque an 8 inch drill must need, but I am betting it is close to the limit based on the number of problems people have. If you can't get it to work with an 8 inch auger, get the largest battery for more current capacity. If that fails, I would either step down a size, or get one of the less aggressive cutting bits, like a k-drill, or a lower torque bit, like a Nils.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
or get one of the less aggressive cutting bits, like a k-drill, or a lower torque bit, like a Nils.

Was thinking same thing but to get only a 1/4 turn on the cut and have it shut off is rediculous. For the person I am referring to..   I have not had this problem yet except on my small 750 inch pouND drill it was not a big deal.. the octane is going strong with a nils bit .. but I would wait till later to return it  maybe give them sone time to get the bugs worked out?? You start swamping them with extra work that's when more mistakes happen..

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the octane drill likes octane batteries even tho they say it works with all batteries. i already tested it with gen5x 4amp batteries and it didn't cut anything like the octane 9amp battery does. i also tested the gen5x 780 inch pound brushed drill with octane 9amp battery and all of the combinations failed except for the octane/octane matched system. i tested it on a brand new lazer 8' lazer so i know the blades were new and cutting well. 

a year ago, i also tested my gen5x with gen5x batteries on a 8" lazer with dull blades someone walking onto the ice had and couldn't cut one hole with it. you can listen to the drill motor to know whats going on. i could hear the motor struggle hard with the dull blades on the 8" laser.
for kicks, i tried a 6" lazer on a ridgid 12volt drill on my 6" lazer with sharp blades and it did what i expected it to and that was cut out with the results like your having now.

since you have the octane drill, you'll need the octane battery. it's not to late to return the drill and get the octane drill with 3 amp battery and charger kit for 160$. you'll be surprised the difference it makes when you use the matched system. i wouldn't want the 3amp battery, but it's almost free and comes with charger and a contractors bag.
remember you have 90 days to use anything you buy from hd.

the drill is 150$ tool only. the drill, 3 amp octane battery and charger and bag is 10$ more to try it out. you already have the 150$ into the drill. you missed the free drill with the 9amp battery/charger for 160$ deal that lasted nearly 3 month. xmas is always best time to buy tools. they do price match so if you buy the 9 amp drill kit and keep the drill, you can watch for a price drop on the 9 amp battery/charger kit to see if it goes on sale and make them match the price. i did just that and they gave me back 40$. you need the battery to be sold in a kit to be able to qualify the lsa and the charger/battery is a kit. batteries sold by themselves are not a kit and have only a 3 year warranty.
The batteries IS what I thought may be the problem...i do find it odd my x5 does the same thing on the original and new batteries (x5 4ah)..i asked ridgid if maybe a bigger battery or needing and octane battery was needed. they said no. Octane battery just has blue tooth feature, and the higher AH batteries should just be a larger "gas tank" and not direct impact on performance
on the fence about trying a 9ah octane battery or just getting Milwaukee...im thinking the later..

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Since I have stopped worrying about keeping the battery warm and started leaving it in the garage with the drill I've been having almost no issues. I did have two cutouts yesterday related to low battery. I was on 1 bar of battery and had drilled out a large flat when it happened. Drill was starting to slow down so I knew I was nearing the end. I dont hold that against it.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Since I have stopped worrying about keeping the battery warm and started leaving it in the garage with the drill I've been having almost no issues. I did have two cutouts yesterday related to low battery. I was on 1 bar of battery and had drilled out a large flat when it happened. Drill was starting to slow down so I knew I was nearing the end. I dont hold that against it.
Again, I have cut outs on first pull of trigger on 2 BRAND NEW drills and 2 BRAND new batteries after FULL CHARGE.
I am starting to convince myself the "new" technology is ridgid trying to keep up with warranty claims from ice fisherman and making them so they CANT break because they wont work hard enough..

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Again, I have cut outs on first pull of trigger on 2 BRAND NEW drills and 2 BRAND new batteries after FULL CHARGE.
I am starting to convince myself the "new" technology is ridgid trying to keep up with warranty claims from ice fisherman and making them so they CANT break because they wont work hard enough..

So did I. I even started a ridgid octane issues thread a couple months ago. My first drill would not operate at all for more than 1 hole without pulling the battery. Beginning post 18 in the thread I began experiencing fail to starts. With the same drill number 2 I have not experienced another fail to start in over 15 trips. Occasional cut outs mainly when the battery gets weak.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=364491.msg3911499#msg3911499

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just emailed them. AGAIN. I nicely asked them to upgrade my batteries or I will be returning it. I am sick of chasing this, and having my Milwaukee buddies harassing me..

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mine still cuts out randonly but I found if I lift the auger up a little, it helps....I think their protection needs tweaking...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
just emailed them. AGAIN. I nicely asked them to upgrade my batteries or I will be returning it. I am sick of chasing this, and having my Milwaukee buddies harassing me..
.   The bigger batteries make a big difference the 9 ah and the 12 ah on the Milwaukee drills don’t know why they wouldn’t on the Ridgid

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.