Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 76012 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. MID SEASON UPDATE!!!
« Reply #450 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:47 PM »
My trigger cutout pattern is never in the middle of cutting or break thru.always right at the beginning.hit trigger,nothing,let off hit it again and it cuts.

Yup, same....can be very annoying!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #451 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Mine only did it 3 times out of 45 holes so it wasnt too bad.temp doesnt matter either.its done it a 5 degrees or 40 degrees.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #452 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Mine only did it 3 times out of 45 holes so it wasnt too bad.temp doesnt matter either.its done it a 5 degrees or 40 degrees.

I sent Ridgid a message about it....will see what they say. If the tools rater at -4 then we shouldn't be having issues in temps above freezing..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #453 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:38 PM »
Pretty warm today 40 degrees cut 45 holes in pretty thick double layer ice.4” of white and 6” of clear ice and had 3 bars left and app said 70% battery left.the weird intermediate trigger no power deal a few times but still working great.

That's why I was wondering if the batteris could be  the problem??cauae temp does not matter... then could it be the batteris new circuits they put in?? See if you can narrow the problem down  by taking one of the new items out of the equation..  cause there bolth new the battery and the drill.. do so  by process of elimination like a know working battery from a working  used older model battery..  see if it cuts out at all..  if it does or does not e mail rigid is all I can suggest.. but from what I am hearing is its the drill??  Could be the trigger swictch can't tell ya yet have not had this problem my self yet...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #454 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:30 PM »
just got in from 9 hours of fishing with friends.

i tried the ridgid 780 inch pound brushed drill with 4 amp and 9 amp on a new 8 inch lazer and it cut about 2 to 3 inches and cut out.

tried my 4 amp battery on the octane and it cut out after about the same depth.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #455 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:10 AM »

i tried the ridgid 780 inch pound brushed drill with 4 amp and 9 amp on a new 8 inch lazer and it cut about 2 to 3 inches and cut out.

Very disheartening, I went ahead and bought me a new Eskimo M51 for thick ice. Was thinking about buying some 6AH Octane batteries but I think I made the better choice. I will still continue to use my Ridgid(non Octane) until I can no longer get it to work. I made a warmer for the batteries,oiled the blades and will stop going in -20 degree weather. 
<===Lefty===

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #456 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:43 AM »
20" of ice last night.  On hole # 10 it cut out on me (8" KDrill)

I was cutting 4 sets of 3 overlapping holes so essentially one after another.

It seems as when the battery is drawn down it cannot tolerate the initial high loads as well.  I was still at 2 bars.  I think it might be heat related too.

It's annoying for sure, but if it protects the drill for longer life I'm ok with that.   

I do have a spare 9ah battery now, so next time I'm bringing that with to do a "cut out hot swap" and see what happens. I'm curious if the new battery will help or if the drill and battery talk to each other and if the drill is seeing a temp spike maybe a fresh battery won't help.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #457 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:25 AM »
let us now how the 2nd 9 amp swap out goes. i think it will be back like new with a fresh battery.

when you think about batteries and the load, the battery can not provide the full 9 amps or voltage during the the entire discharge that the bars represent. i would imagine 2 bars (50%) means 4.5 amps or there about. i'm not certain what it may mean in volts although lithium is supposed to stay near it's rated voltage until the bms kicks in at the lower end of the volatge rating. as voltage drops so should amperage. would be cool if someone had a means to measure the drop in both volts and amps, but we are seeing the drop in performance as the amps fade because it shuts down with battery power left.
there should be some reserve or recovery in the cells also that the drill isn't seeing when it shuts off, but the meter can after the load is removed.
i think the 6 amp octane battery would could out much sooner or less holes cut. it's probably why hd was giving the octane drill with the 9 amp battery kit and not the 6 amp battery and why they don't make a 6 amp battery and charger kit.

i drilled at least 40 holes in 8 inches of ice that had water on top with an 8 inch lazer and had 75% remaining. never cutout or hesitated on start up.

i notice that even tho the battery levels drop, the performance seems to stay the same. so at some point the amps or voltage (maybe both) tells it when to stop and my guess is it's done in the bms. i listen to each cut and the whoosh sounds it makes when it gets into the water and pulls the water up to my knees even tho i am trying to keep it from bringing up all of that water. it just cuts so fast i can't prevent it. my older 780 inch pound ridgid drill and 6 inch lazer is much different. after break thru i would keep the drill cutting to bring water up to clear shavings. this rig cuts so fast there are very little shavings left to clear even when stopping as fast as i can on break thru. it is amazing to see an use and have a comparison to know the differences.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #458 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:48 AM »
let us now how the 2nd 9 amp swap out goes. i think it will be back like new with a fresh battery.

when you think about batteries and the load, the battery can not provide the full 9 amps or voltage during the the entire discharge that the bars represent. i would imagine 2 bars (50%) means 4.5 amps or there about. i'm not certain what it may mean in volts although lithium is supposed to stay near it's rated voltage until the bms kicks in at the lower end of the volatge rating. as voltage drops so should amperage. would be cool if someone had a means to measure the drop in both volts and amps, but we are seeing the drop in performance as the amps fade because it shuts down with battery power left.
there should be some reserve or recovery in the cells also that the drill isn't seeing when it shuts off, but the meter can after the load is removed.
i think the 6 amp octane battery would could out much sooner or less holes cut. it's probably why hd was giving the octane drill with the 9 amp battery kit and not the 6 amp battery and why they don't make a 6 amp battery and charger kit.

i drilled at least 40 holes in 8 inches of ice that had water on top with an 8 inch lazer and had 75% remaining. never cutout or hesitated on start up.

i notice that even tho the battery levels drop, the performance seems to stay the same. so at some point the amps or voltage (maybe both) tells it when to stop and my guess is it's done in the bms. i listen to each cut and the whoosh sounds it makes when it gets into the water and pulls the water up to my knees even tho i am trying to keep it from bringing up all of that water. it just cuts so fast i can't prevent it. my older 780 inch pound ridgid drill and 6 inch lazer is much different. after break thru i would keep the drill cutting to bring water up to clear shavings. this rig cuts so fast there are very little shavings left to clear even when stopping as fast as i can on break thru. it is amazing to see an use and have a comparison to know the differences.

That's not quite how that works. The amp hour rating is just a way to standardize the measurement of how long a battery will last. If the battery is at 50% it doesn't mean it can only supply 4.5a of current.  All it means is if it is a 9ah battery, the battery will put out 9 amps for 1 hour. Or 1amp for 9 hours. The battery is capable of outputting far more than 9 amps even if it is partially discharged. The drill is probably pulling close to 20amps of inrush current when it is starting locked rotor under load.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #459 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Most don't understand how ohms law works and that's why most electrical problem arises.
Most 20 ish volt power tool batteries can supply upwards of 50 amps or more "if" there is a load that needs that much, most cordless brushless motors will never need that much and have the circuitry (both tool & battery) so that their design limits can't be exceeded to save the battery and tool.
I have personally watched a 20 ish volt  power tool battery melt a piece of #12 gauge wire!
Most are forgetting NONE of the cordless drill/mixers on the market were ever designed to operate implements such as but not limited to an 8 inch auger! NONE!
The Octane drill "seems" to be working for some, others not so much?
Whats the one constant in all this?
Simple, the operator is different in almost all cases.
I think we have all seen the guy that could break an anvil and this is also true with cordless drills and ice augers!
Yesterday we drilled over 50 holes with a Milwaukee Mudmixer and 8" k drill in 20" of ice on 1-9 amp hr battery. This was the first time we had a battery go dead. Swapped the "dead" battery into my Vex and it read 98% (good for the rest of the day on the Vex) and put the 5 amp hr in the mixer for the last few holes of the day!
If you go to the K drill web page they talk of doom and gloom and don't recommend the Milwaukee MM?
I will not say this is the way to go because others are having "all sorts" of problems with the MMixer, but it works very well for us and ya I know someone is going to pipe up and say "just wait".
I have personally seen the carnage of using cordless drills for ice augers or things the tool  was not designed for and so far I personally have seen very few tools that will stand up to something they were not designed for!
The internet is wonderful but so often people give advice they shouldn't and the person that took it shouldn't have taken it, by the time the right answer comes along the damage has been done. Problem is most don't know "who" is giving advice on the other end.
I have quoted for many years "the right tool for the right job" still holds true.
And yes your mileage may vary. ::)

Offline fishscales62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #460 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Is the mudmixer a heavier duty drill? I fish the reservation all the time and have been thinking I would get a 8 inch K-drill.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #461 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:15 PM »

Sure the batteries don't have a overload circuit in them??  You said you did this on a 8 inch drill with a 725 inch pound brushed rigid is the therory behind this 100 inch pounds for every inch of auger ??   Like 800 inch pounds min for a 8 inch auger?? I am assuming the 8 inch laser cuts similar to the k drill?? with those ice breaking bars on it??  thing is to cut threw ice with them it's harder on Drill ?? I have been useing my nils on my clam plate the nils is a 8 inch..  I have been using it problem free. Same with my 6 inch by the way  I have a 7 inch mora that cut similar to the nils cause I put a laser blade adaptor set on with 7 inch laser blades.. I gave my brother my 8 and 5 inch laser and my older shappell s3000.. so I don't have my 8 inch laser to prove this question..   or point about  the drill cutting out under heavy load..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #462 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:13 PM »

@3300
Did you always use the laser 8 inch with the 780 inch pound drill ??  Last I remembered you had a great working set up with the 780 inch pound rigid.. could it be auger design of the 8 inch??  I know my 8 inch nils Flys threw the ice but the 8 laser on the 780 inch pound is not?? same with the 1300 inch pound rigid ?? Could the k drill have a flawed design  too??

If the designs are flawed causeing inrush current to high getting the protect circuits to shut off the drill.. 

"the following explains  why the circuits saved your drill  if uninteresting skip rest"..

just like lra as in locked rotor amps  the Current is what will destroy a drill windings..same as electrial heating element have a set resistance to produce heat.. it's the resistance that cause the amprage to produce heat..

this all will destroy the drill windings  by breaking down the shielding from heat produced from too much current.. this is  described as amperage squared by resistance..   describing as copper loss in long transmission line runn of a 100 foot plus when you lose energy over long runs ..they all have point on this.. 

the resistance of wire and amperage will produce  heat .. the sheilding breaks down on the motor winding of the drill.. the windings are a very long glass coated wire..  when the glass break down or wares off..   cause glass  is a insulator like thermal plstic on extension cords is.. when sheilding on windings break down smoke and fire follow..  so just be glad the circuit shut your drill off..

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #463 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:25 PM »

What's the model number of the drill in question?

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #464 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:29 PM »

What's the model number brushed drill in question?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #465 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:38 PM »
@3300 I am assumeing same reason i did this to my 8 inch ht auger it's causeing your drI'll to shut off?? Since it's the new auger bit why not try old?? On bolth drill see if they still cut out??

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #466 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:45 PM »
I know my problem doesnt have anything to do with overloading it or overheat.mine does it without even turning the auger sometimes.like put auger down to get ready to cut,pull trigger..nothing.let of and hit trigger and it cuts.its a tad annoying but only a few seconds out of my day.im running mine till its broken.lsa time then.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #467 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:51 PM »
I know my problem doesnt have anything to do with overloading it or overheat.mine does it without even turning the auger sometimes.like put auger down to get ready to cut,pull trigger..nothing.let of and hit trigger and it cuts.its a tad annoying but only a few seconds out of my day.im running mine till its broken.lsa time then.

Ya  that would be a tad anoying.
 I am guessing a trigger issue there..

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #468 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:37 PM »
I was out Friday, yesterday, and this morning with my Octane drill paired with a clam plate, clam extension, and 8" Mora and was very happy. The lakes I was on had about 24-26" of ice and the Octane was fantastic. I could notice a slight difference in power between Friday and the 0° temp and yesterday and today's warmer temps. I also noticed that the drill worked best when I cleared my shavings after about 18-20".  My only regret is not getting a second extension for more comfortable drilling.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:56 PM »
I know my problem doesnt have anything to do with overloading it or overheat.mine does it without even turning the auger sometimes.like put auger down to get ready to cut,pull trigger..nothing.let of and hit trigger and it cuts.its a tad annoying but only a few seconds out of my day.im running mine till its broken.lsa time then,

Same thing with mine. I absolutely love it!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #470 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:01 PM »

Yesterday we drilled over 50 holes with a Milwaukee Mudmixer and 8" k drill in 20" of ice on 1-9 amp hr battery. This was the first time we had a battery go dead. Swapped the "dead" battery into my Vex and it read 98% (good for the rest of the day on the Vex) and put the 5 amp hr in the mixer for the last few holes of the day!
If you go to the K drill web page they talk of doom and gloom and don't recommend the Milwaukee MM?
I will not say this is the way to go because others are having "all sorts" of problems with the MMixer, but it works very well for us and ya I know someone is going to pipe up and say "just wait".
[/quote]

Ask a Milwaukee techie why they have 2 6AH batteries. The standard 48-11-1860 and the 48-11-1865 (high output). The 1865 is physically the same size as their 9AH battery. Different internal cells and logic. Was told "it is for this exact situation you speak of".
Leave Some For Seed

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like the free tool special on the 9ah battery has ended.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Yup that tool deal on that one ended but this one's stI'll there last I looked.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Compact-Hammer-Drill-with-2-1-5-Ah-Batteries-and-18-Volt-Charger-R861162SB/304583628
Ya know I don't get this deal. I have a 700 Inch Pound Ridgid and this says it is 750. Did they really make 2 drills that are that different? Or did they figure out the 700 was in deed 750? Inquiring minds want to know.
<===Lefty===

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not that this helps; I almost decided to try an Octane, but decided to stick with Milwaukee, so got two gen3 2804 drills as an auger upgrade.  Both sporadically hesitate on the trigger as described above.  My two Fuel 2604 drill setups never did that.  Maybe it's a design feature.. :-\?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
So that makes 3 different models 700,750 and 780. I emailed them to ask them if it was a mistake or if they really made those different models.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #477 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:46 AM »
@3300 I am assumeing same reason i did this to my 8 inch ht auger it's causeing your drI'll to shut off?? Since it's the new auger bit why not try old?? On bolth drill see if they still cut out??
i did all the testing and posted already.
i used a new 8 inch only lazer with gen5x 780 inch pound drill with 9 amp and 4 amp batteries and it cut out after 2 to 3 inches in ice starting a new hole for each test.

i used a gen5x 4 amp battery in the octane drill and it did the same thing.

yes, my 6 inch lazers and 4 inch lazer work fine on the 780 and 500 inch pound ridgid drills. no need to test them on a 1300 inch pound drill. maybe for those who are having cut out issues and don't want to exchange theirs, they might want to do some testing, but i would just exchange it. it would be good to know using two octane drills and two octane 9 amp batteries where the cut out is coming from for those having cut out issues.
as i said before, i am certain that each unit is not quality control inspected. also, each electronic component have tolerances and are like 5/10% +/-. this means they should all act differently to some extent.

i did this test because you thought the octane battery was the issue with cut outs and you asked someone to try the gne5x 4 amp. being they do not make a 4 amp octane i knew it would fail, but tested per your request anyway.

i do not have cut out issues. i had one issue with it not starting while fishing in minus 40 windchill's and i left it standing on the ice in a partial hole for over 2 hours. it did cut just fine while leaving the drill and battery over nite in my vehicle and the air temp was minus 17 before i cut the holes. so some where in between those values is when it can not operate. i did not have any cover over the drill/battery while it stood in the wind during that time. in hindsight, covering it may have made a difference, but i only use 2 shopping bags to keep moisture away so standing is my second go to option.
i can do more testing if it gets that cold again, but it's 50 out right now.

you asked which drill is my 780 inch pound drill. it is the R8611503 hammer drill.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-5-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-4-0-Ah-Batteries-18-Volt-Charger-and-Contractor-s-Bag-R9652/205883898

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just took my 8 inch nils off the octane and threw it on my r86116 hammer drill with 750 inch pounds claimed on box..  anyhow the drill cut out several times wile drilling with the 8 inch nils and smaller drill.. this  does not happen with the octane and the 8 inch nils..  so I am assumeing from this their is too much torqe on the drill..  and something is sensing this and cutting out.. I did not have this cUT out isSue with my 7 inch mora or my 6 inch nils on this drill  the r86116 with 750 inch pounds.. but never tried the 8 inch nils till now on the r86116..  so that should give you guys some insight on what's going on..  with the batteries and drill it's a protect circuit some ware in the two causeung it to shut off  by the way I used my 1.5 amp batteries and it shut off..  its not just the blue tooth batteries.. I think the octane is doing as should but your over loading with the 8 inch laser and k drill augers..  lf it were me . I would  try a octane mud mixer and if it don't work return cause you guys still got ice to try it this year!! And a 30 return on rigid products ?? If you think you can use a mud mixer?? Don't know what a wife would say if you can't or don't ever use the tool after buying...  thats why caution is used on saying that.. tread lightly lols..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Just took my 8 inch nils off the octane and threw it on my r86116 hammer drill with 750 inch pounds claimed on box..  anyhow the drill cut out several times wile drilling with the 8 inch nils and smaller drill.. this  does not happen with the octane and the 8 inch nils..  so I am assumeing from this their is too much torqe on the drill..  and something is sensing this and cutting out.. I did not have this cUT out isSue with my 7 inch mora or my 6 inch nils on this drill  the r86116 with 750 inch pounds.. but never tried the 8 inch nils till now on the r86116..  so that should give you guys some insight on what's going on..  with the batteries and drill it's a protect circuit some ware in the two causeung it to shut off  by the way I used my 1.5 amp batteries and it shut off..  its not just the blue tooth batteries.. I think the octane is doing as should but your over loading with the 8 inch laser and k drill augers..  lf it were me . I would  try a octane mud mixer and if it don't work return cause you guys still got ice to try it this year!! And a 30 return on rigid products ?? If you think you can use a mud mixer?? Don't know what a wife would say if you can't or don't ever use the tool after buying...  thats why caution is used on saying that.. tread lightly lols..
And did you try the 9ah Octane battery on the 750 Ridgid and 8" Nils?
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.