Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 76011 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I popped about 40 holes with mine on Sat and it ended up dying a few hours later when I tried one last hole.  I think the -15 wind chill may have had a little to do with it, lol.

I do notice that when I hesitate on the trigger it will start for a second, then cut out.  Wondering if my trigget may be bad or something. When it stops I have to wait like 2 seconds before it will come back on....I have the app but cant find where the error reports go?
this is what mine does with or without the clam plate too. that's the only glitch I have with mine..

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
this is what mine does with or without the clam plate too. that's the only glitch I have with mine..

Same with mine.

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
I posted about that same hesitation problem with mine also. I have to let off the trigger wait a second then push again.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Its not too bad to deal with, but it makes no sense that it's happening. Maybe Ridgid has some answers. 

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Re: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. MID SEASON UPDATE!!!
« Reply #364 on: Jan 27, 2019, 12:06 AM »
On my first hole one trip out recently, I started having the same issue, or so I thought.  Then I noticed that somehow, my drill was in the wrong gear.  :-\  Switched back and no problemo from then on.  Kids must have been messing with the drill when I was charging the battery.  ::)
Tight lines!

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #365 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:33 AM »
On the app click on the little menu icon on the top left corner of the start page.  (Three horizontal lines)

Once you open that up you'll see an alert history.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #366 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:36 AM »
On the app click on the little menu icon on the top left corner of the start page.  (Three horizontal lines)

Once you open that up you'll see an alert history.
mine doesn't show any problems in the alert history when it fails to start drilling.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #367 on: Jan 27, 2019, 09:06 AM »
You'll have to set which notifications you get. Also in the same menu area, and have the app open on your phone while using the drill. Just minimize it.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
I popped about 40 holes with mine on Sat and it ended up dying a few hours later when I tried one last hole.  I think the -15 wind chill may have had a little to do with it, lol.

I do notice that when I hesitate on the trigger it will start for a second, then cut out.  Wondering if my trigget may be bad or something. When it stops I have to wait like 2 seconds before it will come back on....I have the app but cant find where the error reports go?

This sounds like an overload protection feature and NOT a glitch. 

Electronics don't like fast on/off/on cycles.  Some components retain a momentary charge and a second quick switch to ON adds normal voltage on top of the retained voltage which is like jolting them with double voltage.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Yeah, I figured theres a reason for it. Especially with the battery technology.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #370 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:27 PM »
cut at least 50 8 inch holes the last 2 days with a new lazer and auxiliary handle with 3 bars left on the battery that's been left out in my vehicle for days. i am super glad i returned the wobbly clam plate! this set up drills so fast it throws water up to my knees and makes you want to kill it before it gets into the water. it reminds me of the icegator big time!
there is absolutely zero hang up issues getting thru the ice because it turns the auger way to fast to have any issue like that. i kept checking to make sure it was in speed 1 because of how fast it was cutting ice and throwing it and water.
puts my gen5x 780 inch pound ridgid to shame. if they made a 10 inch auger that would fit it, it would cut fast too.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #371 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:37 PM »
cut at least 50 8 inch holes the last 2 days with a new lazer and auxiliary handle with 3 bars left on the battery that's been left out in my vehicle for days. i am super glad i returned the wobbly clam plate! this set up drills so fast it throws water up to my knees and makes you want to kill it before it gets into the water. it reminds me of the icegator big time!
there is absolutely zero hang up issues getting thru the ice because it turns the auger way to fast to have any issue lie that. i kept checking to make sure it was in speed 1 because of how fast it was cutting ice and throwing it and water.
puts my gen5x 780 inch pound ridgid to shame. if they made a 10 inch auger that would fit it, it would cut fast too.

You noticed how fast it cut??  so did the group of fishermen next to me with a ryobI one plus drill.. the ryobi cooked threw two batteris in about 15 to 25 holes.. I think they were 4 amp?? Any how I think they were glad when there last battery died I asked them if they wanted me to drill them some holes ??  Only did cause I did not want to wreck my 6 inch nils blades ya know green horns on augers.. might have to get another laser auger cause tell you one think nills is to expensive on the up keep..

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #372 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Has anyone with the Octane tried it with a 10" lazer bit? Just bought a wheelhouse and like the larger hole for that application, but wondering if I have to dust off the old SM Electra.  Would be nice just packing the Ridgid for cranking the wheels and drilling the holes, but understand there is a limit to what these things can/should do.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #373 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I am also interested in any 10" options.  Even if it only means drilling 5-6 holes. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Used my ridgid octane / fin bore set up for first time since early ice yesterday just to see what it would do now that we are up to 2' of ice in Maine.  Only drilled a few holes to jig out of.  Trigger seemed very finicky, one hole bailed right through no problem, another one would quit and then when you let off trigger and start again would go.  Almost seems like there is a difference to when you have auger pressed against ice vs. hovering slightly above.  Weird.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #375 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Plastic sucks and is good for toys...not ice drills...glad I dont own one!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #376 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:23 PM »

I'm thinking there's more to the story there (IE misuse) than suggested.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #377 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:33 PM »
2.5 seasons in using my KDrill with well over 1000+ holes drilled with it and not one time have I ever come close to this happening. I agree with Kayl. There is definitely much more to the story than we've been told.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #378 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:38 PM »
I guess the plus side is the flights never worked well anyways!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #379 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:39 PM »

Looks like someone left that in a hole and it froze back solid

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #380 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:40 PM »

THis looks like there was a lot of ice built up on the auger and then it was dropped a few times.
<===Lefty===

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #381 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:44 PM »

How much does nils pay you every time you bash k drill? 30 bucks in flights and he's back in business. That thing must have been dragged behind a sled for miles, I was bashing ice off of mine with a dipper last week.  4 years throwing mine around haven't even broke one flight, my nils wouldn't cut after half a season. Glad I own one!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #382 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Nate you know better to hit on a troll.  I thought the kdrill pic was funny and knew a bunch if loyal kdrill owners would blindly defend the brand. 

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #383 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Nate you know better to hit on a troll.

I do, but you hit me where it hurts and you know it lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #384 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I do, but you hit me where it hurts and you know it lol

I sell big ticket software for a living so I know the emotional triggers.  No one wants to admit they bought a brick when they wanted a ball.  This is no different again I thought the pic was funny.  Who knows what happened.

luv2fish2

« Reply #385 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:54 PM »
first i've heard of this and they've been out awhile sounds like operator error , thousands of them beeing used

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #386 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:01 PM »
I sell big ticket software for a living so I know the emotional triggers.  No one wants to admit they bought a brick when they wanted a ball.  This is no different again I thought the pic was funny.  Who knows what happened.

I’m not blindly defending though I actually do like it whether you can believe that or not, very little of my fishing equipment lasts for seasons without something going wrong or needing fixing. I busted my nils in half a season, and used to need a new set of mora blades every year. I bought a ball and so far it is still bouncing.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #387 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:07 PM »
I've used the kdrill and liked it.  Just not enough to own one. 

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:13 PM »
My drill been working great! Attached it to a 12 inch auger and zipped right thru....lol j/k
There some moments of hesitation but happy with it

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #389 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Should cut down the weight a bit, prob get 20 more holes per battery now...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.