Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 76011 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mine is also loud when braking. Its the loudest when there is nothing to slow the auger down (if you spin it in the air and let off) so of course make sure there is always resistance when letting off the trigger.

I will say the thing does spin much faster than I'm used to on my Ion! 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
sounds good, means your fishing faster with this set up.
540 rpm low
2000 rpm high
the higher the torque the better the motor can stay at rated rpm under load.
i can't find ion's rated rpm.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
slipperybob, thanks for the update! so you like the aux handle that way, does it feel off balance much? that's what i was saying to the guy that broke his ear off to try.

Works so much better 180 degrees aux handle set up and drill balances so much better as well.  I'm drilling downward, not sideways.  If anyone understands the application of a fisherman with a rod and how to maintain center of gravity with pole, applies very well to drill handle set up this way.

The clamping design attachment of the aux handle worried me at first, since there is some slight bow/torsion flex.  But then I realize, I'm using an 8" auger and not just something like a 1/4 drill bit or so.  A full metal tang handle would really boost my confidence.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Finally ran the battery down. Heres my cutting totals!!

First day: +\- 50 holes in 7-8” of ice.
Second day: +\- 30 holes through 10” of ice.
Third day: +\-30 holes in 12” of ice.
Fourth Day. +/- 20 holes in 12" of ice.
Fifth Day: 6 holes in 14" of ice.

All ice was hard, solid ice. The last 3 times I used this set up was below freezing.

The battery still had a little juice today, but was cutting out every second or two. Id say thats pretty good.

Have to say I chuckle every time I see/hear someone cranking on an old jiffy/eskimo.

Holy crap!!!   :o  :thumbsup:  :bow:  That's around 115 FEET of ice drilled on a single charge!!!  @) @) @) Unreal!  ;D

still waiting for someone to try the clutch out.

I tried it today, and it did NOT work too well.  The drill couldn't overcome just the inertia of the auger hanging in the air until I cranked it to almost 90 on the clutch, and it would barley slip.  Cranked ALL the way down to maximum, I could get the auger to turn while hanging in the air.  But set down on the ice, it would not turn the auger.  Drill mode only for me.
Tight lines!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
cool, thanks for checking it out!

Offline Cjnstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
I used my octane for the first time today, 6 inches of ice, on drill , setting one, brand new 8 inch lazer, cut good except the drill kept stopping like twice for each hole i drilled. released the trigger and pulled again to continue drilling. not sure if this has anything to do with it but i have a strikemaster aluminum drill adapter that i noticed was twisted and almost ready to break from the torque, what am i doing wrong, any info is appreciated thanks

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
your mileage may vary, and I would expect much more holes with a shaver blade, but I prefer to use the KDrill so this is how I tested it and how each drill handled it.

I might pick up a 9ah battery for the DeWalt just so I can get a good fair baseline comparison.

My thoughts on this.  The Ridgid Octane is going to be plenty of drill for the vast majority of people and the cutout issue will be a non-factor.  However, I don't think  it can be ignored either.

&feature=youtu.be

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
One thing I’ve noticed about my Rigid after a few days on the ice now is that when the point of the auger is on the ice, when I pull the trigger it doesn’t always activate the drill. It does it sporadically and sometimes I can drill 5-8 holes in a row normally and then the next one the drill won’t spin but the chuck light does go on so it knows I depressed about the trigger.  If I take the pressure off the drill and push the trigger with the auger in the air and under no load,  it always will go. My Dewalt has never acted like this. Any advice or has this happened to others?

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's that dewalt model! He said rigid octane, no specify with dewalt?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
One thing I’ve noticed about my Rigid after a few days on the ice now is that when the point of the auger is on the ice, when I pull the trigger it doesn’t always activate the drill. It does it sporadically and sometimes I can drill 5-8 holes in a row normally and then the next one the drill won’t spin but the chuck light does go on so it knows I depressed about the trigger.  If I take the pressure off the drill and push the trigger with the auger in the air and under no load,  it always will go. My Dewalt has never acted like this. Any advice or has this happened to others?
you know now that i think about it my octane does the exact same thing a few times too.id put the auger to the ice hit the clam plate trigger and nothing.id have to let off and try again.spoardic too.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mine did that once too

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
He mentioned that it was model 996.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Strange.my light comes on too so i know it has power.once or twice it would start for a second stop and id have to let off and pull the trigger again.sometimes it would do that on the first hole.not really a big problem yet but if it gets worse i will return it and go with the Milwaukee fuel.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
996 is a three speed

Offline Cjnstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
It was brought to my attention and let me know if this sounds right, it might be a safety feature, the drill has more torque and speed that the auger cant keep up, builds up pressure and stops.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Definitely sounds like some folks are encountering the drill's overload protection feature a bit prematurely.  Similar to the Milwaukee head-to-head comparo video earlier in the thread.  If I were having this problem (and as my video shows, I'm clearly not), I would definitely be exchanging the drill head ASAP!
Tight lines!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
1 out of 21 had the early protection kick in too soon. just exchange it. could get a few and return the one you don't want. i'll probably call ridgid and talk to them.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102#customer_reviews

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Can’t say I experienced this with any of the 150 holes I cut.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
your mileage may vary, and I would expect much more holes with a shaver blade, but I prefer to use the KDrill so this is how I tested it and how each drill handled it.

I might pick up a 9ah battery for the DeWalt just so I can get a good fair baseline comparison.

My thoughts on this.  The Ridgid Octane is going to be plenty of drill for the vast majority of people and the cutout issue will be a non-factor.  However, I don't think  it can be ignored either.

&feature=youtu.be

The video shows the Ridgid drill's protection circuitry off quite well.  It could be looked at as either a hinderance, or a great feature that's preventing you from frying your drill/battery, depending on which way you're looking at it.

I would like to know if it was the over temperature protection or the over load protection shutting the drill off.  Another possibility could be deep discharge of the battery, where too much change is being used too quickly.  If he had the BT app enabled (looks like he did, it flashed blue at one point when he was showing the charge gage), a quick check of the alert history would show what's up.  I'll go comment on his video and see if he could let us know.
Tight lines!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow!!! VERY unimpressive for a 9ah battery.... 14 inches of ice x 40 holes= 560 inches. I guess you get what you pay for, The Milwaukee does that many holes on 1-5ah battery and doesn't lay down on you halfway through the battery charge. Great video thanks for posting :tipup:

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Wow!!! VERY unimpressive for a 9ah battery.... 14 inches of ice x 40 holes= 560 inches. I guess you get what you pay for, The Milwaukee does that many holes on 1-5ah battery and doesn't lay down on you halfway through the battery charge. Great video thanks for posting :tipup:

No.  ::)  Taken totally out of context.  Are you cutting all those holes with your Milwaukee all at once? Read back a bit further:

Finally ran the battery down. Heres my cutting totals!!

First day: +\- 50 holes in 7-8” of ice.
Second day: +\- 30 holes through 10” of ice.
Third day: +\-30 holes in 12” of ice.
Fourth Day. +/- 20 holes in 12" of ice.
Fifth Day: 6 holes in 14" of ice.

All ice was hard, solid ice. The last 3 times I used this set up was below freezing.

The battery still had a little juice today, but was cutting out every second or two. Id say thats pretty good.

Have to say I chuckle every time I see/hear someone cranking on an old jiffy/eskimo.

NOT run back-to back, the OP of this thread has cut about 115 FEET of ice on one battery charge.  The test in this video is not typical of real-world usage, where the OP's is much more realistic.  I've personally cut 40 holes the past 2 days (plus or minus a few) in 6"-7" of ice, 6-7 holes at a time, and my drill had ZERO issues and the battery is still at 85% charge.
Tight lines!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
well DTro I guess you'll have to do another vid. 6 holes at a time switching drills.  lol 

great vid DTro :clap:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Another thing I noticed with my octane is when i first put my auger on it was a tight fit and I couldn’t rotate the auger left and right.now after cutting 75 holes i can spin the auger left or right almost 2”.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Dewalt 996 w/5 ah battery
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yes, there are a variety of tests that would be interesting to try.  I thought about doing 10-20 holes each day without charging and see how many days I can go.   It sort of replicates more of the average fisherman, however I'd bet most of those guys are charging in between trips.   Also the DeWalt model was DCD996, I think I mentioned it several times in the video.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm not brand bias. Only interested because I bought the octane. Something seems not right? i used a 8 inch lazer yesterday each hole about a 12 inch ice. I drilled over 20 holes and have 3/4 battery left and left out on ice. Now for some reason right when I started first hole just in beginning it cut out. Never did it again? Have 1/2-3/4 free movement in chuck. Like someone Maybe spinning a auger something is happening and not intended to do that lol
Have dewalt products too. What's price point comparison between the two?
I'll keep using see what happens. Next If I get a chance I'll drill bunch holes in a row

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I'm not brand bias. Only interested because I bought the octane. Something seems not right? i used a 8 inch lazer yesterday each hole about a 12 inch ice. I drilled over 20 holes and have 3/4 battery left and left out on ice. Now for some reason right when I started first hole just in beginning it cut out. Never did it again? Have 1/2-3/4 free movement in chuck. Like someone Maybe spinning a auger something is happening and not intended to do that lol
Have dewalt products too. What's price point comparison between the two?
I'll keep using see what happens. Next If I get a chance I'll drill bunch holes in a row
same thing I  started out with chuck rock solid with no movement .now I can turn mine pretty far right or left.run it till it breaks.lifetime warranty anyways.i drilled about 75 holes so far and mine has cutout 5 times.so random too.sometimes first thing in the morning without even cutting a hole,sometimes after 8 holes,other times wont do it  at all.the play in the chuck is not good I don't think.lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
call them if you want answers.

Ridge Tool Company
400 Clark St
Elyria, Ohio 44035
United States

Phone: 1-800-4-RIDGID (1-800-474-3443)

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
same thing I  started out with chuck rock solid with no movement .now I can turn mine pretty far right or left.run it till it breaks.lifetime warranty anyways.i drilled about 75 holes so far and mine has cutout 5 times.so random too.sometimes first thing in the morning without even cutting a hole,sometimes after 8 holes,other times wont do it  at all.the play in the chuck is not good I don't think.lol

Do you have yours on the Clam Plate? Mine was doing the same thing and I kept moving the adjusting the trigger on the plate and now it doesn't seem to do it anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.