The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who's heading out this weekend?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Who's heading out this weekend?
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Anybody planning on fishing in PA the weekend of Jan 20/21?

I'm probably going to take a ride (at least) up to Stillwater Lake near Mount Pocono. Seriously cold temp's in the forecast this week up there and it sits at a good elevation. Fairly shallow lake too so it usually freezes in tune with Tobyhanna.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Who's heading out this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:15 PM »
I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open for any safe ice this weekend.  Looks to be pretty windy with this cold air coming in.  I also have a lake that is pretty protected and high in elevation that usually freezes first.  It probably won't be until next week for safe ice with all this warm rain and runoff.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:16 PM »
I'm at least going to take a ride somewhere to see what's happening.  The one shallow water lake up in the mountains that usually freezes first may get a little ice on it, we'll just have to find out.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline ranger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:26 PM »
i hope too hopefully one of the shallow pocono lakes will lock up. :)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:12 PM »
No need to even check, water temps are still around 37 degrees, I'll be on the lakes on top of Camelback on Friday.  If by some slim stupid chance the wind stays up and wolf aint solid enuf, then I'll just have to settle for native trout in Spring Lake (yeah, I can hear pikepopper now).  Don't really care, just need to get the heck out there again.  If not for having to be on call Thursday, I'd be out there thursday afternoon for sure, but I guess its fates little ironic twist to let the lakes freeze one more day before I hit em.

Mark D - walleyes in Naomi?  Geez, when the heck did they get in there?  Hope they aren't the same walleyes like the ones in Minsi?  I snuck in to fish that lake for close to ten years and never even heard of a walleye ever in that lake.  And if they're in there, they should be in Pocono Lake, Tobyhanna Creek, And the Francis Walter.  Got my curiosity stirring, but heck, most people don't know about the northerns in Wolf Swamp, so I guess anything and everything is possible here in monroe county.  But that would be awesome that there are walleyes in Naomi, gonna have to crawl back in there and run from security at least once more in my life - used to be so much fun.  Wonder if those rich fools on that lake hired some new security guards cause the the last one I ran from in 99 was an absolute joke - really I didn't even run, i just walked up a hill and told him I had a big stick - should have seen him fall on his a$$ as he waddled back to his car huffin and puffin.  6 words for that man - put down the cigarette and donut. Ha, it would be hilarious if he still works there.

Dr. JM

My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Camp Minsi (Stillwater) is shallow but open and suspect to wind currents until totally locked up.  Mark

I'm not sure the wind plays such a huge role in keeping lakes open when the temp's dip into single digits... that's freakin' cold!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Mark D - if you're willing to do a 2.5 mile trudge into that mountainous country, hey, lets trade one curiosity for another.  I'd be more than willing to order the 10 inch shiners and show another soul what a 36 inch "pickeral" looks like if you'd be willing to prove the upper tunkhannok might be known for a little more than 16 inch brook trout.  Get back to me on it, let trade a trip.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:45 PM »
I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open for any safe ice this weekend.  Looks to be pretty windy with this cold air coming in.  I also have a lake that is pretty protected and high in elevation that usually freezes first.  It probably won't be until next week for safe ice with all this warm rain and runoff.
wouldnt be nice to fish quemahoning through the ice   mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline tobalias

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FATAL ATTRACTION
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Mark D. whats with pocono lake does any 1 fish it , cause i never saw anyone fish it . Or is  SAW the key word.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:44 PM »
It's nice to click on the the Accuweather website and see that classic "trough" in the jet stream making a north-south line from the Yukon all the way to Louisiana. Hopefully that massive band of moisture will stay to the south... last thing we need is a Nor'easter dumping tons of snow on new ice.

The forecast just keeps getting better too (if you're into ice fishing)... we might have good ice in SE PA by the end of the month!

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:02 PM »
i'm going out some where this weekend i hope it's on walkers lake at 6:00pm we had 3/4 to 1in. :) the hole lake is locked should be good real soon :tipup: :thumbsup:

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:06 PM »
blaster you hear anything on faylor?
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:13 PM »
faylor lake is all water too much wind :'( i was there at 6:00pm

Offline tobalias

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FATAL ATTRACTION
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Mark D I walked in from pocono lake supply I get my supplies from them .But any way i just walked in with no pole I was behind that dam kinda thing on the north side of 940. Do you live in any of those communities?  I checked out lake harmony and it had "1& half of ice

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:24 PM »
tobalias, I live in Stillwater Lakes in Pocono Summit, it is about 5 miles east of Pocono Pines. The lakes in my development are locked in since yesterday morning. I haven't had a chance to drill any test holes. I just got home from work a 1/2 hour ago. I will get some ice thickness info on Saturday. Mark

Hey Mark... you fish Stillwater?

Offline tobalias

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FATAL ATTRACTION
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:48 PM »
Stoped at Tobyhanna the ranger was posting unsafe ice area closed signs so i asked him whats the thickness he said "under 2 and they won't open it till 3 or 4" So we were sitting in my truck for a while & another ranger pulls up next to us & ask us if there was somthing wrong I said no & my friend said we are waiting for the ice to be safe He looked at us closed the window and drove away.Haha  When do u guys think toby wil be safe?

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:33 PM »
Toby has to be safe, meaning 2+ inches, by tomorrow, by monday, ice will be upwards of 3+.  I icefished wolfswamp today which is the same elevation as toby and it had 2-2.5.  If I felt lazy today, I'd totally be out on Toby, but this wind could scare any fool away.  Mark my words, you've got fools who went out on the ice today, like me, you'll have a bunch tomorrow, and half the state will be out on monday.  It's all a matter of what you consider safe ice.

Dr. JM

MikeThePike

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:17 PM »
I was out on 1.25" today but its a scary feeling. You drill a hole and only have 2 or 3 minutes till the ice starts filling with water and you gotta go drill another. Didn't stay out long. Before everyone jumps on me the lake I fished was only 3 feet and has a hard bottom. If I went thru I'd just have broken ice the 100 feet to get back to shore.

JM, if you woulda picked up for d**n phone, I'd have come and kept ya company up on Wolfe.

Offline PackEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hit it!!! Smash it!!! Crush it!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Fished a Wayne County Lake today. Ice was about 3".  The bad part is that they got a lot of snow up that way today. Ice was marginally safe close to shore, thinner further out.

Going to try a higher elevation lake tomorrow morning. I'll bring the Pampers.

Packeyes.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:47 PM »
Dizzy, yes I fish Stillwater. But Stillwater is on the opposite side of rt 380 accessible through Stillwater Estates. I live on the opposite side of rt 380 in Stillwater Lakes, we have three lakes each one roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the size of camp minsi. Mark

I was just curious because my buddy and I fish Stillwater a lot (ice season for panfish and open water for LM/SM bass). Did you ever catch crappie there? This one old-timer that we see during the ice season tells us that it used to be a good lake for crappie... but he hasn't caught one in years. Good for perch and sunnies though (and pickerel of course).

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:56 PM »
20 to 30 mph winds tomorrow with gusts up to 50!!!!  Anyone who goes out tomorrow is true hard core :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.