Author Topic: Ice camping question…  (Read 1070 times)

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice camping question…
« on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:00 PM »
Good evening everyone…

Last year, toward the end of the season, my son (12 years old) and I did an overnight in our new quickfish 6i.  It was awesome and, due to the temperatures outside late in the season, was actually quite warm.

Schedules have been crazy, and the continue to be, but this weekend is actually pretty open (figures).  He keeps asking to go out soI am thinking about heading out with him tomorrow night but am unsure how it will be as it’s much colder than when we went last year…

Love life experiences from the group…

If temperatures are 0 outside with minimal wind, then what’s the rough inside temperature with a big buddy heater?  Floors would be covered with foam mats.  Sleeping bags are decent but we would have extra blankets to go on top if needed… 

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice camping question…
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:09 PM »
Your quick fish is insulated I presume..if so running the big buddy you should still stay quite warm in there. Not opening doors will help but make sure you have some air flow. A small battery powered fan just to keep air flow with the  vents open you should be just fine
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 10:14 PM »
I’m hoping my house on land stays warm enough, good luck out there

Offline mugsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:33 PM »
Should be more than warm enough with the big buddy. I have qkfish 3 and a big buddy.
So far regardless of outdoor temp high is unbearable except for the first 4-5 minutes, medium runs from unbearable
to tshirt and shorts weather and low is downright toasty. Given yours is 2X mine low'd probably keep a comfy sleeping temp
and if not medium would walk away with it
I'd throw in a battery powered carbon monoxide detector just to be safe.
Now get that boy on the ice and make some memories..........it's just a flash in the pan and they're gone

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:57 AM »
Good evening everyone…

Last year, toward the end of the season, my son (12 years old) and I did an overnight in our new quickfish 6i.  It was awesome and, due to the temperatures outside late in the season, was actually quite warm.

Schedules have been crazy, and the continue to be, but this weekend is actually pretty open (figures).  He keeps asking to go out soI am thinking about heading out with him tomorrow night but am unsure how it will be as it’s much colder than when we went last year…

Love life experiences from the group…

If temperatures are 0 outside with minimal wind, then what’s the rough inside temperature with a big buddy heater?  Floors would be covered with foam mats.  Sleeping bags are decent but we would have extra blankets to go on top if needed…

This previous post has all the info you need on tips for ice camping
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.0

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:30 AM »
I have no experience sleeping in insulated ice shanties and propane heaters but have plenty of winter camping in single to sub zero temps in unheated temps. The idea of sleeping in an enclosed area while running a CO2 generating device all night gives me pause but the idea of a battery powered CO2 detector seems reasonable precaution. I will give some advice on unheated winter camping:
1.) unless you have a "mummy" bag...wear a hat at night. Most heat loss is through your head. I'm a bit claustrophobic so I can't take a mummy bag and used a standard down-filled bag and wore a hat.
2.) note the rating on the bag (say "0-degree") is not the comfort level the bag can take...its the SURVIVAL level. You will not be happy in a 0 degree bag at 0 degrees. I used a -40 degree bag.
3.) don't go to bed in the clothes you wore all day. They have moisture in them and that will make you cold. I slept in a clean set of undies and was fine.
4.) a few minutes before going to bed, fill a nalgene bottle with boiling water and put it in your sleeping bag (bed warmer).
5.) keep some high energy food by your bed. Amazing how nibbling a piece of chocolate in the middle of the night generates warming calories.
6.) everyone things about the warmth on top of them but most heat loss will happen from the bottom if you are not prepare. The down sleeping bag under you compresses and loses its R-value and the ground will suck all the warmth right out of you. A simple closed cell foam pad (aka ground pad) will take care of that and add some cushion. If on a cot or (God forbid) and air mattress...these principles still apply because the cold air will now be under you instead of ground.
7.) getting up to pee in the middle of the night stinks. Have a ziplock bag near you. Use it and toss it out in the snow when done...game changer.
8.) make sure the other guy gets up first and gets the fire or other heat source going...lol.

...following these...I have never slept through the night outside in the winter and been cold. Just some thoughts outside of running a heater buddy...Also, I know that wooden shanties are required to have a certain amount of reflective material on their outside when left over night so snowmobilers can see them. This may not be required for portable nylon sided shelters....required or not...I would want to make sure a snowmobiler could see my shelter in the dark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.