The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Old home week  (Read 3375 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Old home week
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2023, 05:17 AM »
I,m glad im still young and not an OldTimer
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Just got my AARP card in the mail actually.  ;D
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:42 AM »
Make the best of it, Its really a shorter life than one realizes  you find this out when you get in your eighties,

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:09 PM »
Make the best of it, Its really a shorter life than one realizes  you find this out when you get in your eighties,

I'll know when I'm in my eighties, someone will probably be reading these posts to me. Lol

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:25 AM »

Ill never see 80, so I have to giver all I got now.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:29 AM »
One step at a time ,no Smoking and more fishing

Offline oldskidoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2023, 10:27 AM »
Good advice to live by. I might add never give up.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:53 PM »
FLAG, mehunter,  fishpaws, fshnfool, fishing surveyor, threecar and the list goes on.  Many great trips and beers with some super guys! @)
Those were the days!!! Miss those days!

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Hey Gamefisher,
Funny you should mention "Rude the Dude".  I have a story to tell about an ice fishing day trip that just the two of us took up to Kingsbury Pond in late March of 2012.  He had permission for private access right off a friend's camp which was right on the waterfront.  We used aluminum truck ramps to get his 4 wheeler and tow sled onto the ice as the shoreline ice was already gone out to 3', but we managed to get on the ice.  We got there around 7 am with Temps in the upper 30's.  What made me nervous was the forecast predicting Temps in the afternoon reaching into the lower 80's!
Rude assured me we would be alright the night before and I trusted his knowledge of the Lake with existing ice conditions.
All went well in the morning,  got our traps in and Rude caught a legal splake or two as I recall.  I had brought my Coleman stove to cook deer steak from a buck I had taken the previous fall.  We cooked up the deer steak around 11am and had lunch as we were pretty hungary at that point having no breakfast to start with.  Right after lunch the Temps started really climbing into the 70's.  At this point Rude said something  I will never forget as he was looking way out at one of his furthest traps out on the lake.  He said look at the "rippling over the surface of the ice".  Mind you this was a brilliant sunny day with bluebird skies and hardly a cloud in sight.  I saw what he was talking about and we both sprang into action to get our traps out and got the hell off that ice!  On our way home stopped at a convenience store in Skowhegan and temperature was 82  at 1:30 pm.  That wavy, rippling motion of the ice that I could see coming towards us from a long way off and realizing I was standing on it, well that's something you never forget.
Stay safe out there, no fish, no matter how big is worth dying for!
EmeraldShiner

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.