The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Strikemaster 40v 10” cutting out at end of cut. Normal? UPDATE w ION VIDEO  (Read 8173 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Strikemaster 40v 10” cutting out at end of cut. Normal??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:59 PM »
Code SG4252 for 10%. Lots of ice stuff on sale.

$10 off ...not 10% ...my code would have made your purchase cheaper by 10 bucks.

Use coupon code SG4252 at checkout to receive $10 off your order of $75 or more. Minimum order amount cannot include Buyer's Club Membership Fees, Gift Cards or e-Gift Cards, Ammo or Firearms. The coupon cannot be combined with any other coupons and cannot be redeemed for cash or used on Retail Store Clearance. If you make a return that brings the order value under the minimum order qualifications, the value saved will be deducted from your return. Offer expires January 20, 2023.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:00 PM »
Whoops. Ya. $10 off.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:13 PM »
Whoops. Ya. $10 off.

Get in touch with them..10 bucks may not seem like alot ...but it takes some of the sting out of purchase.

Now that you are a member of SG look every day ...they have double discount days ..recently they have been pretty frequent .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:26 PM »
Get in touch with them..10 bucks may not seem like alot ...but it takes some of the sting out of purchase.

Now that you are a member of SG look every day ...they have double discount days ..recently they have been pretty frequent .
I’m surprised how good the member deals are
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here’s the footage if interested in seeing how it cuts

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You are much more politically correct than I am Josh because that thing sucked!  If I paid $600 for that thing I'd be pissed!  Interesting to see how your impressions of the Alpha plus are. :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
You are much more politically correct than I am Josh because that thing sucked!  If I paid $600 for that thing I'd be pissed!  Interesting to see how your impressions of the Alpha plus are. :tipup:
Lmao I was thinking the same thing

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Lmao I was thinking the same thing

I was honestly shocked with how it cut. Even the first hole surprised me, even with it cutting all the way through. Seemed way under powered overall. I thought way too much about the performance (actually lost a little sleep over it), if I was going to make a video, if I did, what direction and tone I wanted to use. If it was a no name brand, I wouldn’t have been surprised. Being Strikemaster, it completely stunned me. The countless similar reports were also shocking.  I don’t want my channel to ever be a product bashing, negative, drama filled channel, like many have become. But I felt like it was worth addressing.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

PIKE FISHERMAN  When life gives you a lemon ...retun it or warrantee it  . Your channel is very informative and well edited ..some videos have looooong introductions and woooorthlees information ...along with hoooorible editing . Your not bashing a product if its intended purpose dose not meet expectations or performs poorly . What are your intensions ...return it or warrantee it ?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Now that I watched the video, I'm not so sure it's the button. It may be, but it definitely appears underpowered. Mine cuts like crazy with an 8" auger, but that's only removing 64% of the ice that a 10" does. Maybe it just doesn't have the oomph. Hope you like the Ion better, my 8" has been great for almost 10 seasons.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As i watched the video ,I think slush should be lifted out of hole more often . if slush get around the auger it slows it down, the wider the auger to more pressure  gets applied to drill.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As i watched the video ,I think slush should be lifted out of hole more often . if slush get around the auger it slows it down, the wider the auger to more pressure  gets applied to drill.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Slush?  He only had 8" of ice.  If I marketed a producted that couldn't drill through 8" without babysitting, I would be embarrased to put my name on it.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PIKE FISHERMAN  When life gives you a lemon ...retun it or warrantee it  . Your channel is very informative and well edited ..some videos have looooong introductions and woooorthlees information ...along with hoooorible editing . Your not bashing a product if its intended purpose dose not meet expectations or performs poorly . What are your intensions ...return it or warrantee it ?
Already returned it. Didnt want to waste 1/2 the season on warranty time. Trying the Alpha Plus

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It definitely did better when I cleared the shavings. But it seemed to bog down every 6”or so. And I still felt like it didn’t perform like I’ve seen in other videos. I’ve seen people drill 20+ without clearing, and without it cutting out.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It definitely did better when I cleared the shavings. But it seemed to bog down every 6”or so. And I still felt like it didn’t perform like I’ve seen in other videos. I’ve seen people drill 20+ without clearing, and without it cutting out.

All this new technology only has value if it does the job and exceeds what you have.  Companies bank on praying on people who think otherwise.  If the ion or strikmaster cant kick my 30 year old jiffy's ass than a change does not make sense.  I'm really hoping you come on here in a few days and tell us the ion is a "must have" however. ;D  16 pounds would be awesome. :tipup:

Infiniti

I don't understand why people choose these over a drill. I've met a few people with both ions and strikemasters out on the ice and my drill outperforms them every single time. And its not even close. My drill was also drastically cheaper and far more useful.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
StrikeMaster had some bad blades last season on the 8" LF ..my purchase was one of them EZPZ recall ..this season could be similar only with the 10" LF.

Some past recalls

https://www.rapala.com/content/rapala-legal/strikemaster-lithium-lazer-8-recall.html#:~:text=Recall%20Notice%20of%20StrikeMaster%C2%AE%20Lithium%20Lazer%E2%84%A2%20%28LL-8%29%20Ice,used%20to%20stop%20the%20rotation%20of%20the%20drill.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
All this new technology only has value if it does the job and exceeds what you have.  Companies bank on praying on people who think otherwise.  If the ion or strikmaster cant kick my 30 year old jiffy's ass than a change does not make sense.  I'm really hoping you come on here in a few days and tell us the ion is a "must have" however. ;D  16 pounds would be awesome. :tipup:
I’m hoping I have that report!! If not, I’ll be crying because I sold my near new SM 10” Lazer Pro to my brother. As for the Jiffy, if you’re not putting a carburetor kit in it every year, it’s going to be a hard choice. But at almost 20 lbs lighter, it would be a nice upgrade.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't understand why people choose these over a drill. I've met a few people with both ions and strikemasters out on the ice and my drill outperforms them every single time. And its not even close. My drill was also drastically cheaper and far more useful.
I agree with the 8”. Only going this route because of the 10”.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
StrikeMaster had some bad blades last season on the 8" LF ..my purchase was one of them EZPZ recall ..this season could be similar only with the 10" LF.
Possible. I was thinking that. Or a bad motor.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac

A drill is fine if you're making 6 inch holes. Drilling a 10 inch hole sends a lot more torque up the bit to the powerhead. The two handles on a purpose built ice auger give you more control and safety than you'll have with a cordless drill.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just watched the video, and am very surprised.  I have a 40v from 3 years ago, and 2 of my friends bought one 2 years ago.  None of them do this, at all.  Can't explain it, and would be pissed too.  I out mine up against a brand new krill and the Eskimo drill, and the 40v beat them both easily, and mine had 2 years worth of use.  Must be quality control on power head or blades have gone to crap.  Sucks, because we love ours......especially the 10" hole ;D

Infiniti

A drill is fine if you're making 6 inch holes. Drilling a 10 inch hole sends a lot more torque up the bit to the powerhead. The two handles on a purpose built ice auger give you more control and safety than you'll have with a cordless drill.
I've never used a 6 inch with my drill. I've used both 8 and 10 with no issues.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just watched the video, and am very surprised.  I have a 40v from 3 years ago, and 2 of my friends bought one 2 years ago.  None of them do this, at all.  Can't explain it, and would be pissed too.  I out mine up against a brand new krill and the Eskimo drill, and the 40v beat them both easily, and mine had 2 years worth of use.  Must be quality control on power head or blades have gone to crap.  Sucks, because we love ours......especially the 10" hole ;D
I was really disappointed!! Not what I was expecting at all!! First time I’ve been been disappointed with a SM product.

But, I should have said how much I like their new snap cover that came with it!!! No more bungee’s.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
The snap covers are available for almost all models now, use one on my ion, no going back!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac

What type cordless drill and auger are you using ?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ive had issues with the blades dulling only after 5 trips. didnt know about the recall so i bought new ones but only cut about 10 holes since. my buddy that has the same one had blade issues and his started to cut out the other day like in the vid. both of ours are only 18-20 months old. selling mine while it works good. dont want to worry about it acting up like that. just ordered a 10in gen 3 ion with shipping for under $500 from Sportsman's guide. my brother has my gen1 ion with a 10'' blade and its still going strong and has no issues and its like 8 yrs old. the blades on strikemaster sucks to cut old holes while ion are similar to jiffy's and are designed to cut old holes. i also can sharpen the ions myself and they are alot cheaper than strikemasters which you cant sharpen yourself. trust me . i tried. thought i was upgrading with the strikemaster but apparently not! still gonna hang on to my jiffy gas as its like 25yrs old and still cuts/ starts well. good to have a reliable back up.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was really disappointed!! Not what I was expecting at all!! First time I’ve been been disappointed with a SM product.

But, I should have said how much I like their new snap cover that came with it!!! No more bungee’s.

So I'm headed up the lake yesterday with wife talking about going from 36 pounds to 16 pounds and she tells me to just get it!😜  so, all on you Josh, please let know when you get yours if it rips or craps, you are the Guinea pig. Thanks

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ive had issues with the blades dulling only after 5 trips. didnt know about the recall so i bought new ones but only cut about 10 holes since. my buddy that has the same one had blade issues and his started to cut out the other day like in the vid. both of ours are only 18-20 months old. selling mine while it works good. dont want to worry about it acting up like that. just ordered a 10in gen 2 ion with shipping for under $500 from Sportsman's guide. my brother has my gen1 ion with a 10 blade and its still going strong and has no issues and its like 8 yrs old. the blades on strikemaster sucks to cut old holes while ion are similar to jiffy's and are designed to cut old holes. i also can sharpen the ions myself and they are alot cheaper than strikemasters which you cant sharpen yourself. trust me . i tried. thought i was upgrading with the strikemaster but apparently not! still gonna hang on to my jiffy gas as its like 25yrs old and still cuts/ starts well. good to have a reliable back up.
Couldn’t have said it better. Kind of regret selling my SM Lazer Pro 10” gas auger to my brother. Thought the SM 40v was a no brainer. I was drooling when the came out with the 10” Lite version. More shocked to see how many reports there are identical to mine. If mine was a “normal” performance…they’re not designed for Maine use. More like Connecticut’s 2 week season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.