Author Topic: Burbot stocks summit  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Tanner Nahulak

• IceShanty Rookie
Burbot stocks summit
« on: Dec 28, 2018, 04:26 PM »
I've grown up fishing summit and lots of the older guys tell me they used to catch lots of ling. But I've set over 100 setlines there and never catch anything but big squawfish. The last one I've heard come out of the lake was my dad catching one over 20 years ago. Anyone know if they were killed off or maybe i just need to find them? Thanks guys

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Burbot stocks summit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Is summit froze yet to hold a quad ? If so I try and report back !

Offline Tanner Nahulak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:53 PM »
I'm heading out tomorrow to try out some shoals so I'll update on how thick the ice is.

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Probably fished out by people using a hundred set lines.  During the spawn when they congregate they can be wiped out easily.  There are a number of lakes in the caribou that are burbot barren.  Heard stories 15 years ago of guys supplying restaurants with berbot fillets.  I have never caught one myself. 
Some lakes were killed off to restore the lake to the original fish that the fisheries wanted in it.  That lake might be one.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline Tanner Nahulak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 12:48 PM »
I've talked to wardens about it and they dont even consider testing the lake because of coarse fish.

Offline Turtle Thompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2018, 04:43 AM »
Probably fished out by people using a hundred set lines.  During the spawn when they congregate they can be wiped out easily.  There are a number of lakes in the caribou that are burbot barren.  Heard stories 15 years ago of guys supplying restaurants with berbot fillets.  I have never caught one myself. 
Some lakes were killed off to restore the lake to the original fish that the fisheries wanted in it.  That lake might be one.

Sounds like bobtail. A friend has a cabin out there. Back in the day he could do a set line the odd time for a special occasion and guaranteed a ling. Now your lucky to even hear of someone getting a burbot in bobtail. Guys were hitting it hard, you used to see dozens of markers/floats. It's a shame. I even see pics here of guys in the Yukon territory bonking every ling that touches their line. Eventually that will affect the balance of the lake.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Burbot are a very sensitive fish to over harvesting. Slow growing. Ive seen a few lakes which 20 years ago use to be great burbot fishing to now today somewhat suck. Either one ling a day limit such as eaglet lake or the size quality of the ling drastically are smaller now. Many years ago the handful of lakes I know of use to be decent- with everyday u go jigging you would catch at least one keeper sized- over 30". anything smaller then that size the amount of meat harvested isn't very much so we always released in hope to get bigger..  Getting tuffer and tuffer to find the bigger fish now.
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.