Author Topic: Lockjaw  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
Lockjaw
« on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:38 PM »
O.K., I'm P***ed. I dont always know what to do with these pike. The cold front just came through and the fishing slowed down to a crawl. I'm on a lake with a max of only 22'.  The pike ran out of the shallows and into the bottom depth.  They have lockjaw.  I can see them on the vex but they wont bite. Whats your best guess to get a bite on a day when they totaly shut down, guys? ??? :unsure:
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Lockjaw
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:18 PM »
Put it in their face and jig it. Pike wont seek out food if they are turned completely off. Sometimes a dead minnow just under the ice will do it too. We were watching two fairly large northerns today with the aqua vu. We fished the same spot for around an hour and neither fish even moved an inch. They were hanging about three feet off the bottom of the ice with their head slightly higher than their tail. We are in slow period for pike, and that cant be helped. The hottest part of the summer and the dead bottom of winter are usually pretty tough.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2007, 02:51 PM »
I too have watched paike on the Aqua-Vu stay completely still for hours while I tried everything to catch them.  Pretty cool to watch them on video.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:29 PM »
Took your advice today and put it right in their faces. I caught 5 pike in 2 hours! Thanks. ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.