Author Topic: device?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
device?
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:03 AM »
What kind of device do you guys use to get Muskie/Northerns up and through the hole on to the ice. I am a catch and release guy so I would like to use something that doesnt cause extra stress on them. Thanks

grumpymoe

Re: device?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:13 AM »
nothing fancy.....just a gloved hand....next on the tackle agenda, is a quality lip gripper....Grump

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: device?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:12 PM »
Just my hand, with the big ones when their head pops into the hole I reach into the gill plate and lift them out and sometimes even just pull them out with the line since I usually get my big ones on tip-ups spooled with 40lb line. And when I'm handling them I like to support their belly with my other hand holding them horizonal, the way their used to, so I don't do damage to their vertebrae.  And thats all I do. Personally I don't really like the idea of the lip grippers when I've seen guys just holding big fish vertical the entire time letting them flap around most likely hurting the fish, those fish are not used to have all their weight on their spine. However if used to just land them and then supported properly they are probably a good tool to have.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.