Author Topic: Happy place for LT storage of Lithium Batteries  (Read 743 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Happy place for LT storage of Lithium Batteries
« on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:09 PM »
I read somewhere here where its best to keep Lithium batteries stored at 40-50% for the LT or off season.  Easy to do on the Milwaukee & Rigid Drill batteries with bars.  What about my 12V Energized Outdoors battery?  Their special charger shows no scale.  Not sure what to look for if I hook up the Multi Meter.

Any word on another group buy discount here this year?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Happy place for LT storage of Lithium Batteries
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:31 PM »
Depending on how crazy you want to go battery chargers for RC toys have many more features than most charges we all use. If i remember right some would even discharge your battery to storage levels. Haven't done much with my rc planes in a few years so my memory isn't great but that may be a route to look into

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Happy place for LT storage of Lithium Batteries
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:45 AM »
I'm still into RC racing drones.  With the lipo batteries we use with those there is no battery management system built into the battery.   We manage everything manually.   It's a pain in the ass, but required in order to keep performance up and weight down.  Lipo batteries have a balance lead that allows the charger to keep each cell charged to the same voltage.  The charger can also discharge a battery to storage level.  This matters for maintaining battery health in a racing drone.  What kills lipo batteries is over discharging and impacts.  My drone batteries get crashed so often that they eventually succumb to physical damage long before storage voltage matters.  Tool batteries have a BMS board that takes care of the management.   They don't discharge to storage voltage because a tool battery that did that would be inconvenient.   They also don't really need to as 18650 cells are much more tolerant than lipo cells.  Tool batteries last for years.   All of this to say, I wouldn't worry about storage discharging anything that I wasn't trying to squeeze the very last amp out of.  There is no need to discharge them for storage,  but I wouldn't charge them up for storage either.   Just use it and then put it away at what ever charge level its at when you're done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.