The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eskimo Pistol 1 Month Review  (Read 1016 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eskimo Pistol 1 Month Review
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:46 PM »
I have been using the new Eskimo Pistol 8 inch bit for about a month. I spent a fair bit of time researching prior to purchase. Having spent the last 6 years hating every hole I drilled with my jiff propane (great auger if you like lugging around 40lb everywhere you go, fires right up every time) I was in the market to find something lighter. Here are the drills I looked at as options:

Nero bit - reviews are that it cuts fast, but I needed an 8 inch hole and despite whispers I couldn’t find such in this drill. Also there were reviews that it was cheaply made.

Strikemaster mora - have a hand 6 inch, not a big fan of it TBH, blades seem to dull quickly

Strikemaster lazer with adapter - for the price it seems like a good deal, but with drill it was still a 20lb packages for an 8 inch bit.

Nils convertible - I have the 6 and it cuts like butter, but $130 for a replacement head... nope can’t do it...

Kdrill - only comes in a fake 8 that’s really 7.5, and you have to lift it 20 ties to clear shavings because the designers wanted to be fancy.

Ion series - well over 20lb and 500$+ replacement batteries break the bank. Seen them in action and they look decent but not super quick.

So after looking at all those options and watching videos galore I was left with a realization nothing does what I want... then I found the pistol bit, new on the market 0 real life reviews and only one YouTube video of some Canadians drilling a post hole with one. But the specs were great under 4 lb for the true 8 inch bit, cheap blades, with that I decided to bite the bullet.

My setup:

Milwaukee fuel drill driver (don’t waste extra on the hammer model it’s the same torque just added weight) with the 8 inch pistol bit, and a newly purchased 12ah battery.

I am using the little handle that comes with the Milwaukee but it works without, just a bit easier on wrist with.

Prior to the purchase of the 12ah I got 20 holes in 12 inches of ice on a 4 year old 4ah and still had plenty of life, but figured I needed a bigger one for the big lake.

What I like:

I cuts insanely fast. Faster than my 6 inch nils convertible and faster than my buddies lazer 6 on a clam plate.

Super light only about 10lb total package, everyone who has seen it or ive let try it are super impressed by that. It truely has removed the one thing i disliked about ice fishing!

With the 12ah I cut over 60 holes Saturday on Champlain through 11 inches of ice, and the drill still says 3/4 charge my guess is it’s closer to 1/2 but still impressive.

No need to clear shavings, and if you do it right even scooping the hole is not needed.

Blades don’t mind mud, drilled into mud the first day I used it and they are still perfectly sharp!

Cons:

A bit pricy to build from ground, 120 for drill, 130 for battery, and 190 for big. But since I had the drill, it wasn’t terribly bad.

There is a bolt that holds the top but part to the bottom has loosened a tiny bit after 300 holes. I’m going to put some loctite on it.

Plastic flights will inevitably fade in color and not look as nice

Lacks center point, which allows it to walk on wet glare ice. But a bit of practice and it’s fine, may be an issue when I am really drunk though...

After drilling 35 straight holes the drill got a little warm, gave it a 4 minute break and kept going. This was extreme though as I was drilling from my atv and driving 20yds and drilling, no break at all for the 35 holes.

Overall I am extremely happy with the drill pistol combo. I don’t think there is a better more mobile setup on the market today.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo Pistol 1 Month Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:54 PM »
great review. my buddy just got one for xmas, hasnt tried it out yet. Ill just peck away with my fin-bore for now.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:45 PM »
great review. my buddy just got one for xmas, hasnt tried it out yet. Ill just peck away with my fin-bore for now.
ERIC HOW MANY INCH IS YOUR FIN BORE?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing the info. Im really happy with my drill set up now with the 6" nills.
But would really like the 8" option.
This offseason i'll probably start looking for deals on one.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:26 PM »
ERIC HOW MANY INCH IS YOUR FIN BORE?

i think it is a six. i have 4 of them if you need one.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:11 AM »
Good review! Thanks
Jig em up!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Thanks for the very nice review!
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:33 AM »
I agree...after looking at all options I went with the Eskimo for the same reasons the OP lists. Haven't had a problem, cuts ice like butter.

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:52 AM »
Great review! Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.