The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: More snow = Slushfest  (Read 1514 times)

Offline GlovelessPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
More snow = Slushfest
« on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Have yet to figure out the science of why slush takes so long to freeze in these cold nights we've been having. I understand that it insulates the ice under it and that it contains air bubbles, but I was out on Wed. and the top of the slush in some spots hadn't even frozen. We had about 6" of slush with about 5.5" of clear ice under it. We walked out on the lake a little more and had slush that had frozen all they way through. That ice was about 4" cloudy slush ice and 2" clear black ice. Go figure. :tipup:
How can you be icefishing if you're sitting at your computer???

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: More snow = Slushfest
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:23 PM »
slush insulates itself and you may get a crust on top at best....what we want is a warm rainy day to lay it all out and refreeze with some cold days/nights afterwards...hopefully this weekend... ;)

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:47 PM »
sunday is supposed to be really bad. monday i might be going out to scout out a local pike location ::)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:22 PM »
looks good for melting all the snow on top of the ice but over 48 hours above frezing with rain all day sunday and not droping below freezing until 2 days after doesnt sound to good to me

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:23 PM »
If it's raining on sunday it will melt most of the snow and in a week of cold weather there will be an extra 3-4 inches of ice.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2007, 05:59 AM »
If it's raining on sunday it will melt most of the snow and in a week of cold weather there will be an extra 3-4 inches of ice.

ok i feel much better looking at the weather this morning above freezing from saturday till tuesday at least but night temps below freezing!

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:26 AM »
Gotta love all the experts on the how's and why's of ice freezing!!! ;D Here's my take - the weight of the snow is pushing the relatively thin ice down a little resulting in water coming up onto the ice.  Since this water temp is above freezing the slush will not freeze until it gets really cold.  Now someone can tell me that I'm an expert. ::)

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Gotta love all the experts on the how's and why's of ice freezing!!! ;D Here's my take - the weight of the snow is pushing the relatively thin ice down a little resulting in water coming up onto the ice.  Since this water temp is above freezing the slush will not freeze until it gets really cold.  Now someone can tell me that I'm an expert. ::)

Well! Minnow1, you are a living legend! So you must know what you are talking about. ;D ;D

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2007, 04:15 PM »
supposed to be in the 50's on Sunday with heavy rain all day...could hurt the edges with rising waters but at the same time getting rid of this snow and adding some cold temps at night would be nice.....gonna be cold the next week and at night too.!!!!
Fish when I can

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:17 PM »
supposed to be in the 50's on Sunday with heavy rain all day...could hurt the edges with rising waters but at the same time getting rid of this snow and adding some cold temps at night would be nice.....gonna be cold the next week and at night too.!!!!

sounds good to me  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.