The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: FX100 tiedown  (Read 468 times)

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
FX100 tiedown
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Really love my new Shappell FX100 flip over shelter. Yesterday morning we were out in a very strong wind and used an ice anchor on my pull rope. I am wondering how you are securing your shelter in brisk winds. More than one ice screw? Any quick and secure solutions?
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: FX100 tiedown
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:28 AM »
If it's a flip over shelter with a sled base I build up a wall of slush around the sled by drilling a bunch of holes then pilling the slush up. Once that freezes its solid. Only works if its below freezing though.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:30 AM »
That is a simple, great idea. Do you have any problems getting it free when preparing to move? Thanks for your reply.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:25 AM »
i use my auger with a drill on it and drill a hole at an angle pointed at shanty and the leave the auger in the hole top leaning into the wind and toss the pull rope over it and let it rest on the ice. most of the auger is out of the water. i keep a few layered shopping bags on the drill. watch out for sunny days to see if the auger is slipping or melting the ice.
i do like the eskimo ice anchors, but no need to use one when the auger does the same thing. i use those on my hub shelters only.

some people make a tube ice anchor from pvc to put down the hole you make behind with your auger.for me this is just an extra step and could be harder to remove than the auger.

keep your cleats on in case you get pushed. i always lay it flat when it's super windy and when i am not in it. the slush works good for bare ice to keep it from slipping around as much. kick the shavings to where you'll have the tub sitting then pull the tub over them and when you sit down it melds the shavings.

which color support bars does your fx100 have, black or silver? if it's black bars does every thing seem ok?

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:12 AM »
That is a simple, great idea. Do you have any problems getting it free when preparing to move? Thanks for your reply.
It's a pain if you freeze the windflaps down to the ice. But the sled prys free easily.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.