The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: A Strange Symmetry of Numbers  (Read 1732 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A Strange Symmetry of Numbers
« on: Mar 07, 2020, 06:44 PM »
I went fishing at Burnett's Pond in Savoy today.

From some of the forecasts, I had feared it might get up to 50 today, and not only erode the ice but turn the roads to mud - - which (together with some time constraints) influenced my choice of pond (high elevation, thick ice, relatively good access) - - but it didn't turn out that way.

Although it was sunny with blue skies, the temps ranged from the low 20's (when I started) to the low 30's (at midday) before dropping back down to the low 20's (when I finished), and fairly windy (15 mph most of the time, with occasional gusts to 25 mph).

I arrived at the Pond around 9:15 AM.

There was 1 inch of virgin snow over 18 inches of ice (a couple inches of hard ice over a small air pocket and then several more inches of slushy ice), with no sign of prior holes.

I ended up chopping 8 holes  (to have a few spares) and set up my gear (tip ups and dead sticks, one of which I later switched out for a jig stick).

The main hassle was having to constantly scoop out the holes to clear the snow that the wind kept blowing into the water, forming a slush that gradually hardened into ice.

I traveled relatively light - - no cooking gear - - so lunch was just an apple, some trail mix and a small bottle of red wine - - although I did bring my radio, so I was able to catch "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" (on WAMC) and some music (on WPYX and WUPE).

I fished till 2 PM, when I left to go to Thunderfest in Adams (where it was about 40 degrees), and then returned around 4 PM and fished for a couple more hours until 6 PM. 

Total catch for the day was twelve perch (biggest 9") (all caught on jig/deadsticks) and twelve pickerel (biggest 20") (caught on a mix of jig/deadsticks and tip ups).

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: A Strange Symmetry of Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:26 PM »
bogtrotter, thanks for another great report.
In no way do I want you to think I am criticizing your style of fishing, it is just a different style than the way I fish. I cut so many more holes than you do and almost never take the time to eat and drink when I am ice fish (or any other type of fishing). A sleeve of Garlic flavored Ritz I might take time for, but only on a long day of fishing. I only stop to drink after reminding myself that I will again get dehydrated if I don't stop to drink. I would go crazy taking the time to ski around a lake as you have described. I am always jigging, cutting holes or moving tilts, looking for the "hot" holes.  I will if it is slow, take the time to talk with other anglers to share info. If I am fishing with a buddy, it is great to gab, but if the fish are not in earshot, then the talking will wait. It is one of the GREAT things about this sport, how we can approach it so differently and each of us finding the joy, the fun, the rewards that we seek. I wish you many more happy days on the ice this season and if you ever want to try a different style of fishing or I can slow myself down for a day, we should fish together sometime and compare note. 

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2020, 06:16 AM »
Well said, Striper.

While I realize my style of fishing limits the numbers and types of fish I may end up catching,  it's the way I enjoy doing it, and as you say, that's what counts.

Hopefully, we'll both get another month or so of opportunities to get out on the ice this season.

And, finally, yes, I would enjoy the opportunity to fish with you some time.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2020, 06:55 AM »
At the end of this week, I am heading to Denver for two weeks for work. Most likely I am done with ice fishing for the season. I will be meeting my son to fish the Arkansas River in Pueblo, but that will be the long rods. So, drill an extra hole for me and I will see if I can get one of those big rainbows for you!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Sorry to hear your hardwater season may be over, but I envy you your opportunity to try new waters out west.

B/T/W - - Speaking of fishing styles, you would have been proud of me - - I took a more aggressive approach to jigging today (chopped more holes and tried more spots), and it paid off for me, as my post later this evening will attest.  (Gotta go now).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.