Author Topic: should I get an in-line reel?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: should I get an in-line reel?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:20 PM »
No, don't buy one.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:00 PM »
Those things blow- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline ColoradoBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:05 PM »
I use both styles and I do really like my inlines for the drop and for keeping coils out of the line. There is a learning curve with them though. You have to be careful with the free drop and with slack in the line or you can have line winding outside the spool. I always have my hand resting gently against the spool. The Black Betty 6061 is awesome. Chew on that Slayerfish!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:21 PM »
I use both styles and I do really like my inlines for the drop and for keeping coils out of the line. There is a learning curve with them though. You have to be careful with the free drop and with slack in the line or you can have line winding outside the spool. I always have my hand resting gently against the spool. The Black Betty 6061 is awesome. Chew on that Slayerfish!

Bwahahaha!  They still blow! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:27 PM »
I would take a inline over a ford...

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:33 PM »
Here's proof of concept. See how many times you can wrap a garden hose around your hand to elbow before it's twisted too badly to continue. Now pull out and reel in a hose with a hose reel.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:33 PM »
I would take a inline over a ford...

HEY!!!!  :nono:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:37 PM »
I use both styles and I do really like my inlines for the drop and for keeping coils out of the line. There is a learning curve with them though. You have to be careful with the free drop and with slack in the line or you can have line winding outside the spool. I always have my hand resting gently against the spool. The Black Betty 6061 is awesome. Chew on that Slayerfish

Yeah chew on that Mikie :roflmao:
Bud

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:59 PM »
i been using in-lines for decades.  just not the ones your talking about. lol

see those bait casters?  those are my inlines.  along with the schoolies with the tricked drags. ;D

spinning reels need swivels or youll get line twist.  that goes for ice season too man.  still get some though.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:12 PM »
I guess I have to differ with you on this issue.  I would like to know if there is "ANY" reel on the market where the line doesn't freeze up, while sitting on a bucket?  I sit on one all the time outside and yes, the line freezes up.  But I simply reach down and strip the ice off of the line.  Just like I do with the spinning reel I use for walleye fishing.  I guess if you don't like in-line reels that is up to the user.  However, please don't give some bull-ch _ _ reason why you don't like em.  Especially when "all" line freezes up when ice fishing, if you're sitting out in the elements!

Inline reels stink your reasons are bullchit for liking them if mine are for thinking they stink.  I can use my schooley or spinning reels out in elements much easier that’s all.  To each their own they stink for my use.  wanna buy one I’ll give ya a deal?
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Like I've always said, anything NEW and exciting in the ice-world hooks a human first... ::)
Mine is 'Wow that will catch a limit or two of fishermen" as I walk past the fishing Isle at a sports store or large box store. My other is "it can not catch fish if you can not catch the fisherman first."
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:05 PM »
I use both in-line and spinning.  Usually jigging with the Eagle Claw in-line on an HT Ice Blues ultra light.  Set a deadstick with a Sienna 500.  Each has pros and cons, personal preference.
But will never buy a Ford, that is all that comes into the shop for repair.  Will keep driving my Chevy and Jeep.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:14 AM »
Here's proof of concept. See how many times you can wrap a garden hose around your hand to elbow before it's twisted too badly to continue. Now pull out and reel in a hose with a hose reel.

If you're wrapping a hose from hand to elbow, you're doing it wrong. Big loops on the ground prevent twisting.  Its the same technique for electrical cords.

As for $75 inline reels. Just buy a $5 schooley rod and go back to 1975.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:21 AM »
If you're wrapping a hose from hand to elbow, you're doing it wrong. Big loops on the ground prevent twisting.  Its the same technique for electrical cords.

As for $75 inline reels. Just buy a $5 schooley rod and go back to 1975.

I actually just bought a Schooley for this season for nostalgia's sake, and have ended up catching most of my fish this winter so far on it  :roflmao:

Well worth the $10.99 it set me back.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:23 AM »
Damn schooley for 10$.come get a few.3$ with rod lol.i like them on long rods while hole hopping in shallow water.dont like hand lining or reeling with them.great for lifting and  plucking fish in shallow water.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:24 AM »
Damn schooly for 10$.come get a few.3$ with rod lol

My son ended up liking mine, so I bought another one for him  ;D

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:45 AM »
I actually just bought a Schooley for this season for nostalgia's sake, and have ended up catching most of my fish this winter so far on it  :roflmao:

Just think about how many more fish you could have caught with a $75 inline reel.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:02 AM »

I generally fish over 3-10 feet of water.

Offline Jayman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:38 AM »
River scum

May I ask how you trick out the schooley drag

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:40 AM »

Whoa! How long did it take ya to fight that monster in???  Did ya burn yer drag up?? ;D

Actually, that's what I get stealing my bait all day long sometimes..... :%$#!:

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:58 AM »

Whoa! How long did it take ya to fight that monster in???  Did ya burn yer drag up?? ;D

Actually, that's what I get stealing my bait all day long sometimes..... :%$#!:

:roflmao:

While I do love it, I have learned pretty quickly that while fantastic for panfish, if something bigger whacks my bait on it, it's probably not coming up the hole. I've lost a couple nicer fish to bent hooks or snapped line so far, because I'm just running 4# mono on it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:17 AM »
Everyone knows ya do this then, Snitch..."HEY! You fish! Get up here!!"   :woot:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #52 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:18 AM »
Nobody still uses the pin on schooley reels anymore.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:23 AM »
It is bullchit if you think line on an inline will freeze worse than line on a spinning reel.  Line freeze happens on "all" line, no matter what kind of reel it is on!  I used Schooley's for fifty years, so I would think I know a little about them.  After those fifty years, I changed to the Snitch.  I must have had a good reason.  And I believe I said that I too use spinning reels, for walleye fishing both through the ice and on soft water!  "I" just prefer my cheap inline reels for gill and speck fishing.  Yes, I pay a little more for the rod and reels, approximately $50.  But, I'm sure you have heard the "OLD" saying, "You get what you pay for"!  I suppose there must be a reason for that saying, as well!  If you want to use a Schooley have fun!  I gave valid reasons why I thought your comment was bull, if you have a valid reason why in-lines aren't as good as spinning reels, I'd love to hear them.  But saying that line twist is not less for in-lines or that the line freezes more on them, is just not true!  And, how it is easier to use a Schooley than it is an in-line.  You still have to pull the line off the reel.  The reel and line are still exposed to the elements.  But, when I use my in-line, I don't have to pull a pin to let line out and put it back in to stop the line where I want it! To me that is harder not easier.  Just another reason why your comments are bull!  Own it.

An inline reel becomes ineffective and useless when the line freezes bottom line.  Spend you all your big money on your rod and reel I don't give a hoot, nor do I care to continue the banter sir.  Enjoy your fishing with your inline reels and also your unhappiness towards others opinions. 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:23 AM »
I don't even use the pin, not fishing anywhere deep enough to need it.

I just try to to let it run on the drag a bit, then take up line when it slows down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it's getting them over to the hole under the ice where I've lost them so far. Bent out a hook on a nice catfish last week, and broke the line on a fair bass a couple days ago.

That's just the game you play with a free spool, so I figure losing some nicer fish comes with the territory 🤷‍♂️ As a whole, I still love the thing, because about 90% of my fish in the winter are bluegills.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #55 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:32 AM »
River scum

May I ask how you trick out the schooley drag

the short answer is play with different plastic washers springs and oil or wax to get what you want. most cheap ones have a very jerky drag that you can get rid of.  plastic bread bag clips or clamshell plastic materials good to play with.  i have thought about ball bearings but haven got that intense yet. lol

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #56 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:36 AM »
never used the pin.  just how many arm pulls or how many cranks off bottom.  pre flasher days of course.

OANN the real story

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:37 AM »
Just bought my first inline phlueger president, after a couple hours of fishing the reel overspooled on the drop and tangled behind the spool. I will try it once more but went back to spinning reel for the rest of the day. One more try will tell if I like it.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:45 AM »
   I enjoy other's opinion when it is useful information!  But, if you think that line on an in-line freezes any more than line on "ANY" other kind of reel, your wrong!  Wrong is Wrong, like I said own it!!!  It is a matter of fact, when ice fishing outside, when it's cold, the line will freeze from the tip of you rod and work its way toward the hole.  You simply reach down and remove it.  It is like that no matter what kind of reel you use.  I suppose next you'll try and tell everyone that the guides on your pole freeze less while using a spinning reel?  Facts are facts and if you can't understand that, then you're simply a Moran.  And I don't have time for Moran's.  Like I said, if you want to give facts, I'm all ears!  The only opinions I'm unhappy with are those that are lies, not those that disagree with what I happen to believe.  Is that clear enough for you?

Clear as mud sir.  You think I'm a moran?  because I don't have the same opinion as you and you know everything and everything you think is "how it is".  This will be my last post on this thread no need to reply sir.  As stated...enjoy your fishing you are the best.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:55 AM »
I got one to see what it was all about..it's fun but I always go back to my spinning reels

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.