Author Topic: Jigging for Cusk  (Read 480 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Jigging for Cusk
« on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Might try jigging after sunset for some cusk on the big lake. Any suggestions as to what to use for a jig? From reading, sounds like some sort of glow jigs tipped with a cut sucker may be the best way to go. Might try to jig for them not far from the cusk lines or just try a whole new spot all together. I am also assuming that they are not very "markable" on a flasher as they tend to hug the bottom pretty tightly.  Jut looking for any tips someone is willing to share.
Just add water.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging for Cusk
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:54 AM »
I haven't done it, so i'm no expert but noisy and or glow is good. pound bottom and lift a couple of inches off bottom. i'd definitely use your zoom and stay no more than a foot from bottom. i'm assuming they're not gonna chase much unless there big ones. i've also heard once it gets dark, "if you're not catching they're not there" so i'd stay mobile until you find them? Good luck! I might try my luck tomorrow night.
Tight Lines!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2018, 11:05 AM »
I am not an expert, but have had some luck with Swedish pimples and bucktails jigged right off bottom with a piece of sucker. We seemed to have luck pounding bottom, and hen dead sticking the presentation a few feet up. We could see them come off bottom ona flasher to inspect it.

I don’t have any, but would like to try some blade baits, glow jigs, and rattle spooons as I have heard they work well.

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I always use my flasher for cusk. You can usually see them checking out your bait before they hit.

I usually use the same thing I do for lakers. Kastmasters, bucktails and pimples tipped with sucker or shiners.

I also like to jig near my traps so I can check them every 30-60 minutes.

Good luck out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.