Author Topic: Whats going on?  (Read 5406 times)

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
Whats going on?
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:17 PM »
I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now.  It really seems to be a down year for reports and threads on the  NH IS page.  I have been around for many  years on here and for early ice and the good amount of it, I would figure things would be rocking on here.  I also notice that a lot of the regulars have not been posting.  Did something happen or   is  face book just  the new place to be?  Keith has done an awesome job over the years  as a Mod and always gone way over the top with his annual get together.  Is there no get together this year?  Just curious if there was something I missed .

Fish on and tight lines to all.  Many more good weeks of ice fishing. We  are quickly approaching  my favorite  month to ice fish!!!!   
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Whats going on?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:08 PM »
 this is not the only web sight I have seen posts like this on... I just saw a post yesterday almost word for word the same as yours on a Striped bass web sight I follow... there are only of a hand full of us that don't use ( or never will) use "other types" of social media. I don't know if that's it or it's what I call the "lurk" factor.. where people that don't contribute but sit there "hiding in the weeds" waiting for a favorable report to jump on it.. I personally am not a normal "reporter".. but when I do give one.. I try and give information that may help a fellow angler find a few  fish... it might be something about the weather.. or depth maybe the type bait I was using.. all helpful information.. which IMHO..is much more beneficial that the exact lake or spot...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing for the past month or so JR.  Where is everybody? I don't use "other" social media, this is my only form of it. That being said, the members that have been posting great stuff and active this year, like you guys,  thank you, it's appreciated.

I wondered the same thing about the Get-Together as well, and even tried to message Keith  to find out a date so I could plan accordingly. It has been one of the highlights of my  season since I joined IS. Haven't heard anything, anybody have any info?
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Only form of "social media" for this guy is right here and another forum or 2 related to fishing and hunting. I think you nailed it right on the head Roccus. FB is what i am hearing about being the new wave of fishing social media. Never had it and never will. Lurkers are everywhere as well. Get get get but never contribute.

Either that or we are all wrong and the fishing is so great else where that there is no time to post!  ;D
Just add water.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Time marches on and things change I have been here since 2011 and have seen quite a few guys disappear leaving the site or heading to the ice in the sky. I remember when I joined and I saw members with over 1,000 posts and thought wow they respond a lot. Well I'm over a 1,000 now. I have fished with over 30 people on the site and will add another one Tuesday. Lots of work for Keith (one guy) doing this get together. Jiggin, Troutfreak, I and Bamb308 and others have helped when we were there. I'm sure he has plenty to do with family and work. Just a thought maybe next year get a group together to put it on. Someone deal with food, getting donations etc. Split up the work. Count me in.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:14 PM »
I'm 22 and had a facebook well before I joined here. I joined IS before I joined the "Ice fish NH facebook page" I actually just joined it on monday.... it has made me want to come to this site even more than i already do! I like facebook for a lot of things, but not chatting and finding fellow anglers.
Tight Lines!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:22 PM »
This is the only social media app i need. Continue to read and post just dont always report every single time. 
Salmonemia

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:47 PM »
X2. I agree, the only thing FB is good for is posting fish photos to make all your friends jealous  ;D

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:58 PM »
I know from learning on Facebook that Keith is no longer the moderator on here. The gathering will not be happening from him.  Not sure if something happened last year during or after it. He occasionally posts on Facebook still. Seems much easier to post there then on here but I still do both
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:07 PM »
I've never felt the need for any one and everyone to know my personal business...I've buried 5 fishing partners. .had several more move on to other interests. ..or have family commitments. ..I fished with a friend during the derby that was more intent on surfing face book than tending his tip ups..at one point he had 3 flags up...After I told him he replied.."I'm bored"...times change..only the rocks live forever.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Wow, I was unaware that Keith was no longer the moderator. Weird because it's still lists him as the mod at the top of this page. Too bad, he's a great fisherman and a great guy. And he put on one heck of a get-together!!!!
Like Denny said, I would be more than willing to help out to make it happen each year, as well as many on here I would assume. Looks like it's a little too late for this season  :'(
but,  maybe.....
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Wow, I was unaware that Keith was no longer the moderator. Weird because it's still lists him as the mod at the top of this page. Too bad, he's a great fisherman and a great guy. And he put on one heck of a get-together!!!!
Like Denny said, I would be more than willing to help out to make it happen each year, as well as many on here I would assume. Looks like it's a little too late for this season  :'(
but,  maybe.....
maybe some of us can get together in a central location. ..I don't mind cooking a few burgers and dogs...we still have some time.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:05 PM »
I think I have been on here for 12 or 13 years..I think it’s due to the fact it’s the same type of threads and there is just so many times you can post the same reply..I have a few guys that really help me with conditions and parking..those are my two big concerns..I’ll figure out the spots by putting in the time..I like it better than Facebook because all they do is fight on those sites and rag on guys on how much their fish weighs
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Well if Keith isn't the Moderator who is ? And I really miss Guinea

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Well if Keith isn't the Moderator who is ? And I really miss Guinea

I miss her too boy can she bless a bobhouse.  :woot:

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I miss her too boy can she bless a bobhouse.  :woot:
X 2 or 3... ;)

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:22 PM »
I've noticed the drop in posts as well.
I just figure people get a bit burnt out talking the same subject and move on.
I've been on many forums I don't visit anymore. Theres only so much I can say about my Harley, or atv, or a particular gun brand or model, or whatever. There's a forum for everything.
This one, and one other are the only ones I continue to visit.
And even then, I'm more of a reader, that contributes occasionally.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:35 PM »
maybe some of us can get together in a central location. ..I don't mind cooking a few burgers and dogs...we still have some time.
We could make that work, Id be interested Joe....any excuse to eat some grub and talk fishing with some like minded sportsmen

Offline troutman97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Having no social media, I joined this ice fishing forum when I was 14 not knowing anything. Just typed in Ice fish and this site popped up so I joined. Over the years reading all the posts and reports/ my own trial/errors and hundreds of solo trips out there, Ive learned how to ice fish for both warm water and cold water species with much success. Im 24 now and still learning..just want to thank those fishing veterans on this site that contribute with their shared knowledge. -Dan

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:40 AM »
Just remember, back in the late 60's when I started fishing, ice and soft water, if you didnt have a dad or uncle  you had to learn on your own or by reading F&S, or Outdoor life. Things sure have come a long way. I dont post here much and dont fish as much as I used to. It is nice to come on here and read the stories and post a helpful hint when I can.
 I did notice last hunting season there isnt much activity on the My Hunting Forum, sad to see that go off the wayside too..

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:15 AM »
^^ thats me, my dad and uncles dont fish so I've been on my own learning how to do things. Sites like this also help. I'm on ice fish nh as well I check both these sites pretty regularly.  :tipup:

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Lurker over here.  ;D I check in regularly and enjoy reading tips, the responses to questions, and how much fun everyone is having on the ice.  I dont have much too contribute because I dont get out to fish as much as I like.  Its nice to be able to check in here and see the current conditions etc.  I'm the FB page as well but I find most of the time the posts get negative.

Headed out this afternoon, will walk out from Lees Mill boat ramp and head south in search of crappie or white perch.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:57 AM »
 ???  JP?  I think the NH IS site has been pretty busy this season.  As an old walker who is now limited on the amount of ice I cover, I've have less to report :P  But I'm happy to see the number of rookies coming on this year ;D  Hopefully they will replace the old fuddy duddys?  Note that I joined in 2010 while you joined in 2007.   I think my posts are right up there?  Like to think I can still break 2,000 ::)    Also I spend an equal amount of time at the Vt. IS site.  I visit FB a little bit but its nothing that get's me excited?   This has been a great season compared to the last few years. 
Dick

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I think people stop posting much for the simple fact we haven’t had a stellar year like this for alittle bit we weee all done by this time last year!! Unless your a die hard  ;)

I like to think that there is more people on IS then on fb but I don’t know as I do not and will not have it!! People also get into other modes come closer to spring! Me personally I can’t wait to get out deep sea fishing but still loving that we will have another good month or so of fishing. I’ll be out all weekend searching for some big uns
Wait there's ice????

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:11 PM »
I have stopped posting due to the negativity and scrutiny of my very few posts... The overall shanty site is a great source of information. New tricks/ideas/methods for pursuing fish and seeing what people in other water bodies other than my own state. I guess I will continue to "lurk". I will try another test post tomorrow, see how that goes.
- jigging joe

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:01 PM »
I have been helped out by a bunch of folks on the site and communicate with a some folks directly that have mutual interests.  I couldn't be bothered to get into some of the mud slinging.  All in all it is a great site and group.  I don't really look at the FB stuff but when I have it looks like it can be brutal.  I enjoy the IS.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Really enjoy this site (including the VT & NY versions -- I fish all 3 states) and all the info and experiences shared, although I wish it was easier to post photos on this site (that's one advantage of FB...)

Offline BarringtonBrad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • either on the ice or wishing I was
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:27 PM »
It's 100% Facebook ice fishing site,everyone that used to be on here posting didn't stop fishing they just moved to FB. It's just quicker and easier,can make a post with 20 pics in 30 seconds. There's like 4500 people on there so there's a ton of A-holes and mass-holes but always new material to see and you get 10x the replies on your post.lol most are ignorant replies,most are rookies,everyone thinks they're experts,every salmon is "brown trout" and every Brown trout is "salmon" and every 20: trout is somehow 4-5lbs but it keeps you busy.
Tight lines!!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:00 PM »
It's 100% Facebook ice fishing site,everyone that used to be on here posting didn't stop fishing they just moved to FB. It's just quicker and easier,can make a post with 20 pics in 30 seconds. There's like 4500 people on there so there's a ton of A-holes and mass-holes but always new material to see and you get 10x the replies on your post.lol most are ignorant replies,most are rookies,everyone thinks they're experts,every salmon is "brown trout" and every Brown trout is "salmon" and every 20: trout is somehow 4-5lbs but it keeps you busy.
Damn FB. Miss you guys postin up those stud fish on here!
The new "postimg" link makes it super easy to post pics on here now too.
I'll never go to the dark side...
I guess it has it's place and benefits, but from how you just described it, Im glad I'm not a part of that negativity.
Glad you chimed in though.

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:54 PM »
I much prefer this site it is more respectful and earnest. I think people are used to talking crap and trolling on facebook. People tend to be less forthcoming with info or experiences as somehow it seems more public. FB is a good spot for photo posting mostly and I like to direct message my friends there. It seems a little more personable as you can see people's names, faces, pics, etc over and over on the pages.

Just my two cents.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.